SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2016, 12:09 PM   #81
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Upgraded L-Series 2.2L Timing Chain Tensioner & Oiler (Pictures and Part Numbers)

wrong place to reply

Last edited by pierrot; 04-30-2016 at 12:14 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2016, 04:38 PM   #82
uluz2a6
uluz2a6 is a jewel in the roughuluz2a6 is a jewel in the roughuluz2a6 is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Upgraded L-Series 2.2L Timing Chain Tensioner & Oiler (Pictures and Part Numbers)

Just wanted to warn everyone of a recent problem I had.

I flip Saturn's for side income. I have replaced about 75 timing sets on the Ecotec line. I buy the timing sets on eBay from 2 sellers. I have never had any issues.

My latest project was a 2007 Ion with a 2.2 Ecotec. Customer had already purchased his timing set from Autozone, but after seeing the timing chain routing he tapped out and paid me to do it.

I completed the job and car ran horribly. Reset it assuming I erred. Same result.

Removed it all and compared components with another unused set. Timing marks were wrong. Off by 2 links. Luckily didn't cause any interference or damage anything.

Returned it to the store and compared to another sealed set and found it was marked correctly.

Checked with a 3rd set and it was off even worse. Certainly would have destroyed cylinder head.

So when doing this project, even though old chain is stretched, you can count the links and compare old marks with new chain.

I charge $350 parts and labor for this job. Autozone and O'Reilly Auto kits are $175+ each. They do not include an oil nozzle. So be careful when pricing kits. Get a new oil nozzle.

Just my 2 cents

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to uluz2a6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help uluz2a6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
uluz2a6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #83
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

^Thank you for the warning! I have some questions:

1) Was the problem kit referred to in your post in an Autozone labeled box?
2) Did you notice any manufacturer identification on that timing chain or any other components in the kit?
3) Which brand of timing chain set do you purchase when performing these repairs?
4) Do you also replace the balance shaft chain and its components when doing the timing chain replacement?

275,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-17-2016, 04:34 PM   #84
uluz2a6
uluz2a6 is a jewel in the roughuluz2a6 is a jewel in the roughuluz2a6 is a jewel in the rough

pierrot, I want to apologize for not responding. I did not receive notice of your reply, as it was not my thread.

I do not know what the box from Autozone said as far as manufacturer. It may have been their brand, but I don't know.

The seller I use on eBay is autopartszone2013 and the listed brand is JDMSPEED. The price is now down to $66! It includes both timing sets.

I do not replace balance shafts sets unless I am doing a full rebuild on an engine or the water pump failed in a way that caused damage to it. I know of multiple balance shaft chains with over 250,000 miles on them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to uluz2a6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help uluz2a6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
uluz2a6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:32 AM   #85
caspervue
caspervue is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 2.2L
Dizzy Re: Upgraded L-Series 2.2L Timing Chain Tensioner & Oiler (Pictures and Part Numbers)

I have performed this entire replacement (timing chain, balance shaft chain, all guides, water pump, new tensioner). Other than the engine sounds slightly noisier, the only issue I have is that oil is leaking from the newly installed timing chain tensioner!!
Has anyone experienced this issue? I only use the factory repair manuals, and torque EVERYTHING to factory specs.
Should I just remove and replace using some RTV? Trying to sell the girl, as I have too many cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caspervue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caspervue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caspervue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:09 AM   #86
hoosierrun
hoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nice

2006 VUE 2.2L

This just doesn't seem right.... like the tensioner is not threaded all the way in or somehow is cross threaded or just defective. Normally, the engine should be quieter when the chains and guides are just replaced.

I have heard of people activating the tensioner prior to installing it. That is suppose to be a no no according to the manual, even though some people get by with it.

Assuming that the guides were all installed properly, and the tensioner you have is the newest version, I would probably remove it and the valve cover, ...re-set the tensioner, install it (a little RTV on the threads won't hurt anything), and then activate it via a long screwdriver as recommended by the manual.

This is dangerous territory IMHO and I prefer to do it the right way to insure no risk of the chain jumping .

An increase in noise is a red flag in my mind.

John.... 2006 Saturn Vue, 2.2, 186,000 miles Recently junked out - (threw a rod)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoosierrun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoosierrun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoosierrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:20 AM   #87
caspervue
caspervue is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 2.2L

Full disclosure would state that that car sat for over a year before I performed all of the replacements, so I may have merely forgot how it sounded b4.

I installed the updated version of the tensioner and activated it per the factory service manuals, and all seemed good. After approx. 500mi is when it started leaking. I will recheck the torque value applied, but but certainly wasn't cross-threaded.

Not too excited about popping the valve cover again, AND risking the chain jumping while I remove the tensioner. Any way to avoid that from happening?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caspervue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caspervue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caspervue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:44 AM   #88
hoosierrun
hoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nice

2006 VUE 2.2L

If your confident all is good, try torquing it a little, spray the area well with brake cleaner, dry it off and goop on some RTV. Let it dry a while and see what happens. I'm with you on not messing with it.

John.... 2006 Saturn Vue, 2.2, 186,000 miles Recently junked out - (threw a rod)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help hoosierrun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2016, 11:56 AM   #89
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspervue View Post
Not too excited about popping the valve cover again, AND risking the chain jumping while I remove the tensioner. Any way to avoid that from happening?
Can you reach down far enough - or does space permit it - to use very large zip ties to squeeze the chain together beneath the cam gears?

275,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-22-2016, 12:24 PM   #90
hoosierrun

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
Can you reach down far enough - or does space permit it - to use very large zip ties to squeeze the chain together beneath the cam gears?
Actually there is a way to do this. When I replaced the tensioner the first time, I used a long zip tie, slipped it under the guide on the left, grabbed it with needle nose pliers, and was able secure it on something. When I unscrewed the tensioner, the zip tightened up when the guide moved, maybe, a sixteenth of an inch, but it kept in mostly in-place. This was just with the valve cover removed.

I put the updated tensioner in, stuck a long screwdriver down along the left side until I felt it contact the tensioner, gave it a good wack with the palm of my hand and heard it engage. I also saw the guide move slightly. Then I cut the zip tie and pulled it out with pliers. The back of the guide on the tensioner side of the chain has about 3/16 of an inch gap between it and the block.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-22-2016, 12:30 PM   #91
waiter21
waiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 2.2L

If you put the pistons at #1 TDC, you should be OK removing the tensioner.

If I remember correctly, there should be an aluminum washer on the tensioner to provide a seal when you screw it into the head.

Before removing it, pop the valve cover off, and tie wrap the chain to the cam gears.. While your in there, you should be able to use a long screwdriver and see if there is slop in the chain over near the tensioner.

You can carefully remove the tensioner, re-cock it, then re-install it. Activate it with a long screwdriver, tap the handle of the screwdriver against the chain where the tensioner is.

There are some photos and discussion in the following link

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=218942

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote