SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2006, 11:31 AM   #41
mkatts
mkatts is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Upgraded L-Series 2.2L Timing Chain Tensioner & Oiler (Pictures and Part Numbers)

very cool

Thanks! I will let you know how it goes. If gm gives 5 hours, i know i can get it done in 5-6 hrs. Longer if I have help!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mkatts's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mkatts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mkatts is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2006, 09:12 PM   #42
JohnnyRotten
JohnnyRotten is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Upgraded L-Series 2.2L Timing Chain Tensioner & Oiler (Pictures and Part Numbers)

This is all great info and heed the earlier advice to move/dissasemble everything in your way cause it's definitely easier than trying some shortcut.

I learned the hard way doing a timing belt on my 88 tracer. What a PITA.

1997 SL Silver
2002 L200 RED

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JohnnyRotten's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JohnnyRotten reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JohnnyRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 11:26 PM   #43
born again
born again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of light

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I changed the timing chain about six weeks ago. I have the FSM, so had lots of data. A couple of tips. It generally takes me about twice what a dealer mechanic would take to do a job. Here is no different, in total it was about 9-10 hours. Get a long 1/2" extender, long enough so you can turn your breaker bar outside the fender well when undoing the crankshaft bolt. If you don't you won't have enough room to swing the wrench under the car with it on jackstands. You will need a pipe over the breaker bar. I had to go and rent an electric impact wrench to get this off. I installed the whole kit and a new crankshaft bolt. In retrospect, didn't need the sprockets o70r the chain guides. You definitely do need the new cam sprocket bolts (BOLD in the manual) but can get away with the old crank bolt (not bolded in manual) as it is very long and only twists 70 degrees or so.

One other thing, when you have the timing cover off stuff a rag into the opening at the bottom below the crankshaft. This goes through to the oil sump. If you drop a screw when replacing the chain guides it may go into the sump where it will be almost impossible to recover.

Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:13 PM   #44
bigc791
Advanced Member
bigc791 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by born again
I changed the timing chain about six weeks ago. I have the FSM, so had lots of data. A couple of tips. It generally takes me about twice what a dealer mechanic would take to do a job. Here is no different, in total it was about 9-10 hours. Get a long 1/2" extender, long enough so you can turn your breaker bar outside the fender well when undoing the crankshaft bolt. If you don't you won't have enough room to swing the wrench under the car with it on jackstands. You will need a pipe over the breaker bar. I had to go and rent an electric impact wrench to get this off. I installed the whole kit and a new crankshaft bolt. In retrospect, didn't need the sprockets o70r the chain guides. You definitely do need the new cam sprocket bolts (BOLD in the manual) but can get away with the old crank bolt (not bolded in manual) as it is very long and only twists 70 degrees or so.

One other thing, when you have the timing cover off stuff a rag into the opening at the bottom below the crankshaft. This goes through to the oil sump. If you drop a screw when replacing the chain guides it may go into the sump where it will be almost impossible to recover.

Good luck.
You should have changed your guides and tensioner. If you only did the tensioner your going to have issues because the new design tensioner will not work with a old pivot guide.
Carmen

1998 2.4L swapped Plymouth neon is my ride.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigc791's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigc791 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigc791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:02 PM   #45
born again
born again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of light

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigc791
You should have changed your guides and tensioner. If you only did the tensioner your going to have issues because the new design tensioner will not work with a old pivot guide.
Carmen
That was a late post. I did change everything. Yes, the tensioner must be changed, along with the pivot guide. Parts prices are much higher in Canada, so you think about what you can skin on. The kit was upwards of C$400 AIRC. The crankshaft bolt I wouldn't reuse more than once.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-28-2008, 02:40 PM   #46
Crapshoot
Crapshoot is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1991 SC

For anyone searching for a source for the 2.2L timing chain kit please note the Cloyes kit comes with two torque to yield camshaft bolts. RockAuto.com stocks the complete kit. The photo on their website did not show the camshaft bolts. No crankshaft bolt is included in the kit and in fact is not offered ala cart from Cloyes as an on line after market part. After extensive research on the net I believe most people reuse the crankshaft bolt. Most forum postings on the subject of TTY bolts can be summarized this way: Don't reuse the TTY bolts but many people do reuse them anyway, and getaway with it at least one time. I did use some red Loctite on the bolt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Crapshoot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Crapshoot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:22 PM   #47
1993SC2
Advanced Member
1993SC2 is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp97sc2 View Post
ouch I take it the total cost was $240 for the kit+ junkyard engine + tools + time and effort to actually do the job. what do you estimate the total actual money and time cost was? I take it your folks' 2000 L series engine was blown due to the timing chain oiler problems?

get a commercial account, or make friends with somebody who has a commercial account with the local dealer parts dept. I work the parts counter, and it's insane the discount they give those guys! On expensive parts (wheel hub assembly) it can be $80-$100 off.

Then: 1993SC2m
Now: 1996 Jeep XJ, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1993SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1993SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1993SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #48
K2112S
K2112S is on a distinguished road

The picture links are all broken. I can't view them. Can you post again or give me some guidance. I am changing my cylinder head (the old one developed a crack). I have cylider one TDC. but am unsure of my cam positions for reinstallation of the timing chain. Haynes is not very helful, the picture they are showing does not match up with the description. Thanks for any help you can give me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K2112S's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K2112S reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K2112S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:18 PM   #49
Evelise
Evelise is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 2.2L

My 2.2 '02 VUE (68K) is in the shop right now for broken timing chain. Is that the same type engine you repaired?
My mechanic has it all back together but now has an issue w/Reduced Power when using the foot feed, but can get full throttle under the hood. Any ideas?
Good work on all your research!
BTW, encourage all who have these timing chain issues to report it to Saturn. I called the recall # in another thread found today and registered my timing chain complaint. She recommend all w/same to do the same. Also to register complaint w/the National Highway Safety Commission. And I mentioned the class action lawsuit against Saturn Corp & GM regarding the faulty part, in both of the above mentioned complaints.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Evelise's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Evelise reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Evelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:06 AM   #50
zoomboom
zoomboom is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

K2112s, I can't find the crank alignment diagram to repost, but these cam alignment ones may help, with many thanks to Vocky at vvoc.com. There is a corresponding crankshaft alignment link and sprocket tooth as well.

You'll find other cam alignment photos posted as Zoomboom's photos.

I hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: gif inlet%20timing.gif (8.9 KB, 174 views)
File Type: gif exhaust%20timing.gif (8.9 KB, 160 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zoomboom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zoomboom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zoomboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:05 PM   #51
martin21044
martin21044 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I am replacing the timing chain, tensioner, etc.. in my 2001 lw200. The old tensioner failed and the top end of the engine grenaded and has been replaced. The new head, cams, chain, gears, oiler, tensioner, etc.. have all been installed, but when i turn the engine over by hand there is interference.

1) engine set to TDC on #1 cylinder, marks on crank pulley & timing cover match up & I stuck long screwdriver down the spark plug hole to confirm it's at TDC. The colored link on the chain is on the white crank sprocket tooth (which is @ approx 5 o'clock)

2)the other colored links are on the marks on the cam sprockets (approx 10 o'clock for exhaust & 2 o'clock for the intake cam)

3) everything looks just like the pictures in the repair manuals, but when the engine is turned over by hand it can only make about 1/8 rotation in either direction before stopping.

Any ideas what the problem may be? timing off? more damage in the bottom end? a little sticky from rust?

totally stumped and desperate to get my car rolling again, please help.

Thank you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to martin21044's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help martin21044 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
martin21044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #52
born again

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin21044 View Post
Hello,

I am replacing the timing chain, tensioner, etc.. in my 2001 lw200. The old tensioner failed and the top end of the engine grenaded and has been replaced. The new head, cams, chain, gears, oiler, tensioner, etc.. have all been installed, but when i turn the engine over by hand there is interference.

1) engine set to TDC on #1 cylinder, marks on crank pulley & timing cover match up & I stuck long screwdriver down the spark plug hole to confirm it's at TDC. The colored link on the chain is on the white crank sprocket tooth (which is @ approx 5 o'clock)

2)the other colored links are on the marks on the cam sprockets (approx 10 o'clock for exhaust & 2 o'clock for the intake cam)

3) everything looks just like the pictures in the repair manuals, but when the engine is turned over by hand it can only make about 1/8 rotation in either direction before stopping.

Any ideas what the problem may be? timing off? more damage in the bottom end? a little sticky from rust?

totally stumped and desperate to get my car rolling again, please help.

Thank you!
The only thing I can think of is if the intake and exhaust camshafts are installed in the wrong locations, that is the intake camshaft is in the exhaust location and vice versa.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #53
skywolf
skywolf is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I just called two dealers in my area about doing this work.
The first dealer quotes me $291.02 for the part and $720 for the labor for 5.5 hours.
The second quoted $314.30 for the part and $1127.23 for the labor at 11 hours.

One is somewhat honest and the other is full of ****.

2002 Saturn L200 'Jasper' | 2011 Mazda3 SGT 'Corey' | 2011 Toyota Tacoma SR5 'Timber' | 2013 Volvo XC70 'Rolf' | 2005 Volvo XC70 'Aldwin' | "ACK and you shall receive"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to skywolf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help skywolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
skywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:51 PM   #54
Crapshoot
Crapshoot is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1991 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywolf View Post
I just called two dealers in my area about doing this work.
The first dealer quotes me $291.02 for the part and $720 for the labor for 5.5 hours.
The second quoted $314.30 for the part and $1127.23 for the labor at 11 hours.

One is somewhat honest and the other is full of ****.
Pays to shop around!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Crapshoot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Crapshoot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #55
zoomboom
zoomboom is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

For those of you who are thinking of doing the timing kit swap yourselves, there is a great how-to guide at this British site. I wish I had access to this resource when I fumbled my way through the replacement process a few years ago!

All the best to those who DIY.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zoomboom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zoomboom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zoomboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #56
elocinx671
elocinx671 is just really niceelocinx671 is just really niceelocinx671 is just really niceelocinx671 is just really nice

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

On average how long do these last? I have 120k miles on mine.

Is there a place to get the full kit, or do I buy the parts seperate? I prefer OEM parts.

What all should be changed? Any seals I should do while in there?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to elocinx671's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help elocinx671 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
elocinx671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #57
ag_ghost
ag_ghost is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by elocinx671 View Post
On average how long do these last? I have 120k miles on mine.

Is there a place to get the full kit, or do I buy the parts separately? I prefer OEM parts.

What all should be changed? Any seals I should do while in there?
On my 2000, the chain jumped at 129K, though I think the previous owner allowed the oil change interval to be a bit too long and/or let the oil level get too low. As you'll see from many posts here, once it slips/jumps, bad things can happen. Bent valves and smacked cylinders resulted in my case, so it's getting a cylinder head rebuild and new pistons, rings and connecting rod bearings.

RockAuto lists two kits, the Cloyes 94201S and Sealed Power's KT4016S. Cloyes has a good reputation and I've ordered their kit, which is way less expensive. Didn't see a complete OEM kit, but my search wasn't exhaustive.

In my 2000, I'm also changing the timing gear oiler/nozzle (Cloyes 95467), timing chain tensioner (GM part #: 12608580) and a water pump kit.

With respect to OEM parts, I found exceptional pricing on many parts at gmpartsgiant.com and tried a small order, since they would nominally ship from the same time zone, but nearly 10 days later, I'm still waiting. Rock Auto's service really is pretty good.

Kevin
2000 LS1 with newly rebuilt engine, new pistons, rings, connecting rod bearings, rebuilt head with cleaned up ports, and the bits under the front cover.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ag_ghost's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ag_ghost reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ag_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #58
elocinx671
elocinx671 is just really niceelocinx671 is just really niceelocinx671 is just really niceelocinx671 is just really nice

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

ag, thanks for the info. Im also thinking of doing the balancer chain kit while im in there.
The oil has always been changed every 3k, just once it went 8k and a quart low when I was out of state.
Im hoping that didnt do any non-reversable damage. I will monitor the sounds from the engine compartment.
I just want to do this before it jumps and causing more expensive repairs.

Thanks again! I love rockauto, been a repeat customer for many years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help elocinx671 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-14-2011, 10:04 AM   #59
elocinx671

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

For those of you that have replaced the Timing chain package.
Have you filed a complaint with the NHTSA? This will hopefully get a recall for other years using the same engine.
That means everyone will get their timing chain replaced before any more unfortunate accidents occur on our highways.

A recall would also get everyone reimbursed, if they have had the work done prior to the recall passing.

Here is more info....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalier View Post
PLEASE file a complaint about your timing chain problems with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration here:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

By filing a complaint, there is a greater chance that NHTSA will expand the recall to include Saturn L series vehicles made in 1999, 2000 and 2002 as they all use the SAME DEFECTIVE PART (timing chain oiler too small to properly lubricate the timing chain) as the 2001.

Here's just a sample:

http://www.faqs.org/car/saturn-l200-...ngine-cooling/

Why on earth NHTSA only recalled the one year (2001 model year = 20,500 vehicles) is beyond belief, as MANY with L's not made in 2001 have had problems with the timing chain.

In fact, the North Carolina Consumers Council has petitioned NHTSA to expand the scope of the recall due to the fact that the same defective part was installed in L's (391,600) made from 1999 to 2002 (part was changed on the assembly line starting with the 2003 model year).

Your complaint could be the tipping point that causes NHTSA to expand the scope of the recall, meaning we'd all be entitled to getting some money back for the cost of repairs we had to shell out.

If they get enough complaints, they'll investigate further.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-15-2011, 05:51 PM   #60
sackdz
sackdz is on a distinguished road

did anyone also replace the balancer chain/guides? I wasn't able to find any kits for this.. unlike the timing chain kit. I'm wondering if these are problematic also, or if I can forego replacing this even though I'll be in there already...

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sackdz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sackdz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sackdz is offline   Reply With Quote