SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2006, 04:59 AM   #21
djcommie
djcommie is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Upgraded L-Series 2.2L Timing Chain Tensioner & Oiler (Pictures and Part Numbers)

Whew! I just spent the last 3 1/2 hours or so writing just the FIRST part of the timing chain walkthrough, up to reinstallation of the balance shaft chain assembly. Its going well, hopefully I can finish it tomorrow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djcommie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djcommie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djcommie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2006, 04:48 PM   #22
bigc791
Advanced Member
bigc791 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1
Default Re: Upgraded L-Series 2.2L Timing Chain Tensioner & Oiler (Pictures and Part Numbers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcommie

Yes, the tensioner itself was updated and and does NOT require the front cover removal, you could do it with a 32mm socket. Its attached on the "back" of the engine inline with the exhaust camwheel. just remember to make sure to spray some wd40 into the tensioner while disassembledand be very careful when you resssamble it as to not scratch the inside of the tensioner housing. DO NOT FORGET TO PRIME THE TENSIONSER, its mentioned how to to do it in the haynes manual.
Not True. The pivot guide was redesigned and will not work with the new tensioner. Also the dampner bolt is torque to yeild as is the camshaft bolts. The last chain i did did have the cam sproket bolts in the kit but did not have the dampner bolt.
Carmen

1998 2.4L swapped Plymouth neon is my ride.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigc791's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigc791 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigc791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:53 PM   #23
djcommie

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigc791
Not True. The pivot guide was redesigned and will not work with the new tensioner. Also the dampner bolt is torque to yeild as is the camshaft bolts. The last chain i did did have the cam sproket bolts in the kit but did not have the dampner bolt.
Carmen
Hmm, I checked and you're right. This thread was about someone buying the whole kit, anyone who half buys the kit and uses the other old parts deserves the chain to break. Anyway, who would be dumb enough not to buy the whole kit if they have a rattle/other problems? Wht dampener bolt are you talking about? The crank pulley bolt? If so, I am also confused why they didn't inlcude one either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help djcommie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2006, 08:31 PM   #24
bigc791
Advanced Member

1994 SL1

Its never been included in the kits. Like i said those 3 bolts are torque to yeild though so dont reuse them. Cams are 63ft/lbs + 30 degrees. Crank pulley or Dampner is 74 ft/lbs + 70 degrees. Eat your wheaties cus thats a rough one.
Carmen

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bigc791 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2006, 01:31 AM   #25
zoomboom
zoomboom is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Crank pulley or Dampner is 74 ft/lbs + 70 degrees. Eat your wheaties cus thats a rough one.
Carmen
So when you torque the dampner, can you just leave the transmission in gear with the parking brake on to hold the crankshaft? (mine's a manual)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zoomboom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zoomboom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zoomboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:59 PM   #26
bigc791
Advanced Member

1994 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomboom
So when you torque the dampner, can you just leave the transmission in gear with the parking brake on to hold the crankshaft? (mine's a manual)
Put it in 5th it will cause the least stress on the drivetrain.
Carmen

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2006, 08:16 AM   #27
djcommie

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Put it in 5th it will cause the least stress on the drivetrain.
Carmen
There's still a lot of play in the drivetrain, but this could work. I don't think torquing a crank bolt can damage a drivetrain dealing with the power level of the 2.2 for basically eternity without breaking. I don't know how kosher it is, but I'm going to post some excerpts from the haynes manual, but worded enough as not to be considered stealing.

edit: damnit I really hate Torque-to-yield bolts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-19-2006, 10:05 PM   #28
forestgump
forestgump is on a distinguished road

You are right about crank bolts being a pain in the but. I snapped a crank bolt on the engine (on a dodge) while rotating the engine to top dead center with the plugs pulled. I figure the bolt was partially snapped and just hanging on by a bit of steel so good thing it didnt go while driving down the road.It took a great deal of time and heat and a precision easy out kit to get it out of the crankshaft, it was snapped about an inch inside.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to forestgump's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help forestgump reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
forestgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:02 AM   #29
djcommie

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestgump
You are right about crank bolts being a pain in the but. I snapped a crank bolt on the engine (on a dodge) while rotating the engine to top dead center with the plugs pulled. I figure the bolt was partially snapped and just hanging on by a bit of steel so good thing it didnt go while driving down the road.It took a great deal of time and heat and a precision easy out kit to get it out of the crankshaft, it was snapped about an inch inside.
As far as I know, the reused crankbolt hasn't broken, but I used loctite and torqued it to spec very slowly, and after 2 runs of 75% torque then 100%. I'm still going to replace it when I get a chance, but I'm 400 miles from the car right now.

I'm still writing up the second half of the walkthrough for the timing chain install, it should be up in a few days.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-07-2006, 01:16 AM   #30
zoomboom

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Well, I'm finally getting my hands dirty on this one. I find that access to the crankshaft pulley bolt on my LS is impeded by a cooling line running from the A/C compressor to the cabin. The line isn't easy to free up. Does anyone have a tip on how to work around this to get a socket and torque wrench on the pulley bolt?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help zoomboom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2006, 10:14 AM   #31
bigc791
Advanced Member

1994 SL1

Remove the motor mount with a jack under the oil pan. Once the mount is removed slowwly lower the jack to its lowest position. THe bolt will be cake to get at then.
Carmen

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-06-2006, 08:15 PM   #32
vmarks
vmarks is on a distinguished road

I'm looking forward to the complete write-up.

Last edited by vmarks; 05-06-2006 at 08:26 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vmarks's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vmarks reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:20 PM   #33
mkatts
mkatts is on a distinguished road

All,
Great information here. My dad has a 2000 LS with a rattle in the top end. He took it to a mecahanic who told him it was the timeing chain and that it would cost $2000 to fix it. I am 5 hours away. I am going home to fix it for him. He is ordering the timing chain kit. I have workied on cars since I was 5. I used to me a mechanic at a chevy dealership. So I am very comfortable around cars.

So my question is, how long does it take to change the chain out?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mkatts's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mkatts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mkatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:43 PM   #34
1stSaturnowner
1stSaturnowner is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Post Re: Upgraded L-Series 2.2L Timing Chain Tensioner & Oiler (Pictures and Part Numbers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkatts
. . . with a rattle in the top end. He took it to a mecahanic who told him it was the timeing chain . . . .
Rattle in the top end, could be that a bolt is loose, especially a bolt that is becoming loose over the coil packs. Just because the mechanic concludes that the hearing rattle coming from top end is the timing chain, doesn't mean it is the timing chain!
Are you go to have you dad start it up so you can hear it yourself?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1stSaturnowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1stSaturnowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1stSaturnowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:40 PM   #35
mkatts
mkatts is on a distinguished road

He started it up and held the phone up to it!
Best we could do! Granted this is over the phone but it sounds like calapsed lifters to me. The sounds is stronger towards the passenger side of the car. It sounded like mutliple ticking sounds to me. Maybe rocker arms out of adjustment? Does the 2.2L have adjustable lifters or hydralic lifters? Or is it an overhead cam design? I have never laid eyes on this engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mkatts's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mkatts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mkatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:00 PM   #36
bigc791
Advanced Member

1994 SL1

All hydralic "lash adjusters" its a dohc design the cams are above the lifters. if its from the pass side im going to agree with the mechanic on the timing chain.
Carmen

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-20-2006, 08:50 PM   #37
1stSaturnowner

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Information Re: Upgraded L-Series 2.2L Timing Chain Tensioner & Oiler (Pictures and Part Numbers)

Quote:
. . .2000 LS . . .
? Is it a LS or a SL? If it a LS, then it surprising since the L-series have a I4 engine. Now, if your dad has a SL then, the S-series would be a SOHC or DOHC, of which, I don't know that much about. hmm, if it is the L-series, I never thought the I4 engine only had only 8 valves! If it was a DOHC then it would be shaped in a Y not be a I, right? I am not knowledgeable that much into the breakdown of what the info of my engine my hood, except that it is a Ecotec and a 4 cyl. So, I want to know, since I have a ticking everytime my transmission shifts, and it the tensioner doing it job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 1stSaturnowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-21-2006, 06:30 PM   #38
bigc791
Advanced Member

1994 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stSaturnowner
? Is it a LS or a SL? If it a LS, then it surprising since the L-series have a I4 engine. Now, if your dad has a SL then, the S-series would be a SOHC or DOHC, of which, I don't know that much about. hmm, if it is the L-series, I never thought the I4 engine only had only 8 valves! If it was a DOHC then it would be shaped in a Y not be a I, right? I am not knowledgeable that much into the breakdown of what the info of my engine my hood, except that it is a Ecotec and a 4 cyl. So, I want to know, since I have a ticking everytime my transmission shifts, and it the tensioner doing it job.
Its a LS. Why is it surprising for a LS which is the base model to have the I4. The LS2 was the V6 in 2000. No the engine would not be shaped like a Y.Yes the ecotec is 16valves. They only saturn with 8 valves was the old SOHC in the S series.
Carmen

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-21-2006, 10:01 PM   #39
1stSaturnowner

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Why is it surprising for a LS which is the base model to have the I4
I am not surprised that the base model for the 2000 had a I4, just surprised that it has 16 vavles! From the configuration that it was an I, I assumed it was an intake valve on one side of the engine, and exhaust valve on the other side.
Quote:
No the engine would not be shaped like a Y
If the ecotec has 16 valves, and is a DOHC, then shouldn't it be design like a Y?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-22-2006, 07:17 PM   #40
zoomboom

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
All,

So my question is, how long does it take to change the chain out?
Dealers will quote about 5 hours. I'm not a mechanic - I'm sure it took me much longer, though I didn't keep track of my garage time. I did it over several days and regretted not snapping photos as I disassembled. Before removing the tensioner, sprockets or chain, ensure that you have the camshafts and sprockets oriented where you want them. These linked images will help to align the new chain.

http://www.vvoc.com/forum/uploader/p...k%20timing.gif

http://www.vvoc.com/forum/uploader/p...t%20timing.gif
http://www.vvoc.com/forum/uploader/p...t%20timing.gif

My Haynes manual didn't suggest it, but I read elsewhere (naturally, after finishing the job) that LockTite is recommended for the torque to yield bolts on crank and camshafts.

Take the extra time needed to move the fuel lines etc well away from the valve cover. I didn't, and chewed my new valve cover gasket when reinstalling the cover. I was 50 miles from home before we noticed how much oil it was throwing. I'm still looking for a tiny leak, lkely from the timing cover. The seal there is supposed to be reusable, but I now wish that I had changed mine.

Good luck with the project mkatts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!