SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2006, 04:17 AM   #1
djcommie
djcommie is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Upgraded L-Series 2.2L Timing Chain Tensioner & Oiler (Pictures and Part Numbers)

I just recently tore apart my parents' 2000 Saturn L. I purchased a junkyard engine with a bad bottom end, and replaced the head on the 2000. The local (60 miles away) dealer wasn't able to get me the updated design parts for the timing tensioner and oiler for a week, so I used the junkyard engines' parts to create a semi-runing Saturn to make sure all was well. It ran fine, and I finally have the official timing chain kit and oiler thats updated from the original flawed and failure-prone design.
NOTE: I am writing a full walkthrough for replacing the parts in the car, which will be posted here in a few days

Details:

Saturn Updated Timing Chain KIT Full Image

Main Part #: 12578218

Contains:

Fixed Timing Chain Guide #13104978

Adjustable Timing Chain Guide #24449448

Camshaft Sprocket Bolts (2 in one bag) #90537451

Timing Chain Tensioner #12578209

Timing Chain Oiler #12577163

Timing Chain #24461834

Crankshaft Sprocket #24424758

Camshaft Sprocket (There are 2 of these in the kit, separately bagged) #90537632

Upper Timing Chain Guide #90537337

I don't think I forgot anything, but I'll edit it in if I did.

Any questions welcome!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djcommie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djcommie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djcommie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2006, 04:36 AM   #2
djcommie

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Upgraded L-Series 2.2L Timing Chain Tensioner & Oiler (Pictures and Part Numbers)

Oh, I guess I can't edit after a certain time.

Anyway, the kit came out to about $240 or so.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help djcommie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-05-2006, 07:30 AM   #3
dp97sc2
dp97sc2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Default Re: Upgraded L-Series 2.2L Timing Chain Tensioner & Oiler (Pictures and Part Numbers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcommie
Oh, I guess I can't edit after a certain time.

Anyway, the kit came out to about $240 or so.
ouch I take it the total cost was $240 for the kit+ junkyard engine + tools + time and effort to actually do the job. what do you estimate the total actual money and time cost was? I take it your folks' 2000 L series engine was blown due to the timing chain oiler problems?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dp97sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dp97sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dp97sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 02:31 PM   #4
zoomboom
zoomboom is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Thanks for the excellent post djcommie. You photos answered most of my questions just posted on another "timing chain oiler" thread. Saturn should bite the bullet and hand these kits out to those of us who were part of the early Ecotec experiment. I'd be willing to install it myself to avoid the catastrophe that seems to await otherwise.

Do the sprockets require replacement because they're pretty much guaranteed to be worn out due to oil starvation? I was surprised to see them included.

Did you need to remove and replace the front cover crankshaft oil seal and the valve cover gaskets/O-rings also?

Thanks again, and I really look forward to your walkthrough. I'm thinking of bruising my own knuckles on this one while my local dealers are whistling "don't worry, be happy"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zoomboom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zoomboom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zoomboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 03:04 PM   #5
zoomboom

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Another thought...was there a crankshaft pulley bolt (for outside the engine front cover) included in the kit? Haynes recommends replacement whenever removed for some reason.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help zoomboom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-05-2006, 05:40 PM   #6
zoomboom

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Do the components look like this when unwrapped? This is from a Vauxhall owners website in Britain, where folks appear to share our engines and our problem...........except that GM actually did a partial recall there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22%20timing%20kit%20.jpg (86.0 KB, 854 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-05-2006, 08:40 PM   #7
djcommie

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp97sc2
ouch I take it the total cost was $240 for the kit+ junkyard engine + tools + time and effort to actually do the job. what do you estimate the total actual money and time cost was? I take it your folks' 2000 L series engine was blown due to the timing chain oiler problems?
Far from it. The kit itself was $240, and the replacement half-dressed engine was expensive, $200 or so I think, plus $380 shipping from Kentucky. My parents Saturn had a chain rattle which they thought was the waterpump, and eventually it snapped a link. Also the chain was minorly overheated, but more it was the tensioner failing that caused the failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomboom
Thanks for the excellent post djcommie. You photos answered most of my questions just posted on another "timing chain oiler" thread. Saturn should bite the bullet and hand these kits out to those of us who were part of the early Ecotec experiment. I'd be willing to install it myself to avoid the catastrophe that seems to await otherwise.

Do the sprockets require replacement because they're pretty much guaranteed to be worn out due to oil starvation? I was surprised to see them included.

Did you need to remove and replace the front cover crankshaft oil seal and the valve cover gaskets/O-rings also?

Thanks again, and I really look forward to your walkthrough. I'm thinking of bruising my own knuckles on this one while my local dealers are whistling "don't worry, be happy"

Oh god, the knuckles are guaranteed to be bloody as heck. most of the stuff is razor sharp, and turning the rotaring assemly results in some bad cuts.

Anyway, I pulled out a micrometer and the cam wheels were no more worn that the new OEM ones from the kit. I already replaced the Valvecover and sparkplug gaskets previously when replacing the head, but the front case gasket is called reusable, and I don't have any front main leaks yet. The cam bolts are called to be replaced in the TSB and Haynes manual, which is a $20 doorstop. :lol:

Quote:
Another thought...was there a crankshaft pulley bolt (for outside the engine front cover) included in the kit? Haynes recommends replacement whenever removed for some reason.
You know, I noticed that and didn't have my parents pick one up. I'm going to walk the stupid line and just reuse the stocker. I'll replace it when I feel like, but I'm not driving an hour for one bolt.

Quote:
Do the components look like this when unwrapped? This is from a Vauxhall owners website in Britain, where folks appear to share our engines and our problem...........except that GM actually did a partial recall there.
Hmm, it seems everything is similar, except I don't have any of the small 10mm bolts for the tensioners.

Thanks for the questions guys, its a little arcane having to use 2 windows to quote and reply, but I got it done.

Anyway, the real shame is that my 19 year old brother is getting this car, he'll kill it the rest of the way. At least its cheap to insure and pretty safe for a plastic car :P

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2006, 12:58 AM   #8
zoomboom

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
The cam bolts are called to be replaced in the TSB and Haynes manual, which is a $20 doorstop. :lol:
Hmmm, so far I have only the Haynes doorstop to guide me - perhaps a bit risky. Is the full TSB available somewhere on-line, including the service procedure? I only found a one-line summary at the NHTSA site... not very helpful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2006, 06:10 AM   #9
djcommie

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Hmmm, so far I have only the Haynes doorstop to guide me - perhaps a bit risky. Is the full TSB available somewhere on-line, including the service procedure? I only found a one-line summary at the NHTSA site... not very helpful.

Naw, other than using the ALLDATA DIY stuff, which I didn't buy, the Haynes is somewhat good to use. I found out some tricks, ( I did the assembly and disassembly 4 times :\) so I can really help you along.

I might purchase the ALLDATA for the car, you can get it at www.alldatadiy.com it may or may not have some useful information.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2006, 08:13 AM   #10
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

So...the timing chain is made in France, eh... :

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 11:57 AM   #11
zoomboom

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
I found out some tricks, ( I did the assembly and disassembly 4 times :\) so I can really help you along.
Wow...those must now be tough knuckles! After you heal, I hope you can post some tricks. Also hoping (naively??) that the dealer will agree to include a copy of relevant TSB instructions in the cost of the kit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2006, 03:02 PM   #12
djcommie

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkle bik
So...the timing chain is made in France, eh... :
Its pretty funny, with the box saying MADE BY SALUTING BALD EAGLES IN THE US

Then again, the only problem I have with the French is they don't have their cars here.

I'm starting the write-up for the change, but I have to really go through and find out each torque setting, the Haynes is at least good for that.

Oh, and my knuckles. They aren't so strong anymore. I think the car runs on 10W-BLOOD anymore.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-08-2006, 11:11 PM   #13
JohnnyRotten
JohnnyRotten is on a distinguished road

I'd love to see pics of the work in progress and/or the parts in place.

1997 SL Silver
2002 L200 RED

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JohnnyRotten's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JohnnyRotten reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JohnnyRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 06:12 PM   #14
zoomboom

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

djcommie did your old oiler nozzle look like the left one in the photo linked below (on the British Vauxhall owners site)? It wouldn't take much to block that jet

http://www.vvoc.com/forum/uploader/pixs2/oil%20jet.jpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-10-2006, 08:19 AM   #15
wicked055
wicked055 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Had problems with irregular idle and cylinder 4 misfiring. (see Idle problems previous posting) Dealer said it could be the time chain jumped or lost tension. If they tighten it, or do whatever they are going to do. Will I have to worry about it snapping on me? I have just under 80K miles. How much would you think that would cost? I will be bringing it in to dealer for them to look at it ($95), at least I will know the problem is, and then break open another piggy bank to cover that cost.

Wicked

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wicked055's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wicked055 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wicked055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:03 PM   #16
zoomboom

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Wicked055, if your problem is in fact a timing chain problem, I believe the US price for installation of the complete timing upgrade kit shown above should be approx $240 parts plus 4-5 hours labor. If a dealer services your timing chain by pulling off the engine front cover, I would definitely have them have them install the complete update kit (12578218). They should be following TSB 03-06-01-017 for this procedure - the two dealers in my region claimed they were unaware of the TSB. If they are simply servicing the chain tensioner, I think they can do this more cheaply (ie-without removing the front cover or touching the chain), but this is a less-than-complete solution.

Having read related SaturnFans threads and the timing chain failure reports at http://www.carsurvey.org/viewcomments_review_56674.html
I suspect all of us with 2000-2002 L-Series 4-cylinders are at risk until the new kit is installed.

For the record, my local Saturn dealers and the GM Customer Service folks have all suggested that I am worrying needlessly about the chain. .....L-Series psychosis? Maybe. This condition would be easier to live with if Saturn was taking responsibility for repairs when the chain fails - but they're not.

Best of luck diagnosing your problem.

Last edited by zoomboom; 03-10-2006 at 12:09 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-10-2006, 06:10 PM   #17
1stSaturnowner
1stSaturnowner is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Can anyone help clarify? Is the timing chain/tensioner connected? Ok, if the tensioner fails, does that tensioner failing in someway affects the timing chain?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1stSaturnowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1stSaturnowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1stSaturnowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:57 PM   #18
zoomboom

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Well, I'm no expert, and haven't torn mine apart, but FWIW here's my understanding.........

The timing chain is contacted by and tensioned by an adjustable chain guide. The position of the guide is adjusted by the tensioner to take up any slack in the timing chain. It appears that the tensioner screws directly through the side of the cylinder head and can therefore be removed without removing the front engine/timing cover. Access to any other components of the timing chain kit pictured above requires removal of the front engine cover and/or valve cover.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-10-2006, 08:29 PM   #19
forestgump
forestgump is on a distinguished road

Hey does anybody know whether its the oiler or the tensioner that causes the ultimate failure?. According to the tsb the oiler seems to be at fault but I was talking to a gm mechanic casually at the gym and he said the tensioners go for crap first making a bit of noise, and eventually the chain will follow by going for crap if not caught early.Hey commie what the dealership name where your got the kit>

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to forestgump's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help forestgump reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
forestgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:13 PM   #20
djcommie

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestgump
Hey does anybody know whether its the oiler or the tensioner that causes the ultimate failure?. According to the tsb the oiler seems to be at fault but I was talking to a gm mechanic casually at the gym and he said the tensioners go for crap first making a bit of noise, and eventually the chain will follow by going for crap if not caught early.Hey commie what the dealership name where your got the kit>

Well, my parents car had the tensioner go slack, I found out that the spring inside broke, and caused the tensioner bore to become rough, heat up, and the tensioner would retract independent of the oil pressure. The chain was lightly overheated, but it seemed not to rattle in itself, and lateral play was nearly the same as the chain contained in the kit! The oiler also was a problem, since there was at least .5mm deep grooves in all the chain guides, including the balance chain guides.

Quote:
djcommie did your old oiler nozzle look like the left one in the photo linked below (on the British Vauxhall owners site)? It wouldn't take much to block that jet

http://www.vvoc.com/forum/uploader/pixs2/oil%20jet.jpg
It was EXACTLY like that. I'm having one of the old oilers sent to me so I can see if I can putt out the brass insert...but I also notice that there is a steel sleeve for the bolt on the upgraded tensioner. I bet the brass insert on the pre-TSB oiler structurally holds it together.

Quote:
Well, I'm no expert, and haven't torn mine apart, but FWIW here's my understanding.........

The timing chain is contacted by and tensioned by an adjustable chain guide. The position of the guide is adjusted by the tensioner to take up any slack in the timing chain. It appears that the tensioner screws directly through the side of the cylinder head and can therefore be removed without removing the front engine/timing cover. Access to any other components of the timing chain kit pictured above requires removal of the front engine cover and/or valve cover.
Yes, the tensioner itself was updated and and does NOT require the front cover removal, you could do it with a 32mm socket. Its attached on the "back" of the engine inline with the exhaust camwheel. just remember to make sure to spray some wd40 into the tensioner while disassembledand be very careful when you resssamble it as to not scratch the inside of the tensioner housing. DO NOT FORGET TO PRIME THE TENSIONSER, its mentioned how to to do it in the haynes manual.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!