SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2006, 07:31 PM   #1
randyl68
randyl68 is on a distinguished road

Default sl1 manual input shaft seal leak

I have a 1996 Saturn SL1 with a 5 speed manual transmission. I have taken the transmission out because the clutch was slipping. I bought all of the new clutch parts ready to replace the clutch plate, pressure plate and throw out bearing. My problem is that when I got the transmission out, I found that the only problem was the input shaft seal on the transmission is leaking which is dripping the atf fluid onto the clutch causing it to slip. My question is this: can I replace just the input shaft seal on the transmission without taking the tranmission apart? If not, is there an easy way to separate only part of the transmission to only allow access to this seal? Is it a major job? I am quite mechanical, but have no experience with the internals of transmissions, is there anything I need to worry about, or is this a job best left to a transmission shop. Any advise would be appriciated. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to randyl68's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help randyl68 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
randyl68 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2006, 07:54 AM   #2
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2
Default Re: sl1 manual input shaft seal leak

I'm going to tell you straight up front, I've never done this, but I believe you are talking about the quill bearing seal. If so, you have to pretty much pull the tranny apart to get to it. Different Racing has the best guide to doing this that I've seen. Here's a link to that. While you're at it, you should probably get the diff pin welded.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:36 AM   #3
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl is on a distinguished road

Default Re: sl1 manual input shaft seal leak

If it is like my dodge tranny, all you do is remove that throw-out bearing, then unbolt three bolt to get the seal housing out, replace the seal and the install is the reverse.

Try to e-mail the http://www.differentracing.com/ guys, they should be able to help you rather quickly.

85 GLH
94 855

89 CSX, parting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote