SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 02:17 PM   #1
THX712517

Default Electric Conversion

It's me again. I'm here to ask you a new question. How much effort would it take to convert a Saturn into an electric car?
I travel very little over 40 miles a day, so range isn't a problem, nor is charging.

I know the engine has to go. The engine, the fuel tank, the fuel lines, and most likely the PCM. Replace that with a good NiMH (Spelling?) battery pack, computer, and an electric motor.

The heater won't work right, nor will the air conditioning, and all of the wiring will have to be redone, I know. The steering and brake assist will have to be reworked too, I believe.

What I want to know is if I can remove the engine and just have the electric motor hook up to the transmission like the engine did.

I'm well aware that performance, range, and weight will all suffer for this, but I'm somewhat of a techie-environmentalist and I like the idea of an electric Saturn.

That's all for now,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to THX712517's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help THX712517 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2002, 03:11 PM   #2
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Happy EV Conversion

You might want to read this: Electric Vehicle Conversion Diary - 1996 Saturn.

Hope that helps,
Charlie

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2002, 09:38 PM   #3
MaliceRacing
MaliceRacing is on a distinguished road

Dizzy

UH-OH...its that Fiero guy again...

hee hee.
goto www.fiero.nl
search general fiero chat for "Solar Fiero"

he has some kind of electric motor hooked up to a getrag. tops out at well over 85 MPH and gets pretty good range. he figured it out as .02 per mile in electricity costs.

theoreticly all the same tachnology could be shoved in a saturn. except maybe the power steering and brakes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MaliceRacing's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MaliceRacing reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2002, 11:37 AM   #4
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

ask Saturn. they built one in 1993 and someone wrote an SAE paper about it.

SAE-931791
A technical overview of an electric Saturn at the 1993 solar and electric 500
Cheiky, Mike C.

Title:
A technical overview of an electric Saturn at the 1993 solar and electric
Personal Author:
Cheiky, Mike C.
Publication info:
SAE 1993
Report #:
SAE-931791
Report #:
Report #:
SAE-SP-984
Abstract:
Dreisbach ElectroMotive, Inc. (DEMI) under the sponsorship of Arizona
Public Service with assistance from Motorola Semiconductor Products
and GM's Saturn Division, has developed a second-generation high
performance Zinc-Air powered electric vehicle (EV). The EV is based on
a 1992 Saturn SC coupe chassis and uses a dual battery hybrid
configuration to demonstrate acceleration, top speed and operating
range approaching gasoline vehicle specifications. This electric powered
Saturn SC beat a conventional Saturn SC1 in a 5 lap sprint race during
the third annual Solar and Electric 500 at Phoenix International
Raceway. The DEMI/APS Saturn set a new electric stock car lap record
of 40.8 second during the race and was about 1 second per lap faster
than the stock reference car. Both cars were set up by the Saturn
Engineering department just prior to the race and used identical
race-prepared tires. Details of the electrical design of the DEMI
conversion of the Saturn to electric drive, track test data and
comparative gasoline car specifications are presented along with actual
race data.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2002, 02:37 PM   #5
L300Boy
Master Member
L300Boy is on a distinguished road

here's an email i received from a guy who did an SL1 electric conversion. I wouldnt mind picking up that 9" motor he is talking about.

(I asked him if he had any performance numbers on his car)

Quote:
No, not really. I'm pretty sure that it will easily do 90 mph. All I can report is that the car is much faster than when it had a four cylinder 1900cc gas engine. Speed is a function of voltage, and 144 volts seems to provide a pretty spunky little car. I normally start out in 2nd as the electric motor produces max torque at stall. (approx. 282 lb-ft). Using first gear on a dry road I can move the car along fast enough that you really have to be on your toes to stay with the Saturn up to 30. The electric motor that I use has a service life of 100,000 miles before needing maintenance, and the batteries should last 2-3 years. A fellow in Kansas City with the same 9" electric motor, but running 240 volts through it can pretty much pick whatever lane he wants from a light. In both cases, drag racing the car results in a shortened range, which is not that good in the first place. This spring I hope to fix that as I design a fuel cell power plant that will give me somewhere between 300 and 3000 kms range on one fuelling. It has been pretty much decided that the gas motor will go the way of the dodo bird in about 10-15 years, maybe less. All cars are expected to have electric power units and the question is which technology will supply the juice. The next phase of hybrid power units will see gas-powered cars achieving 80-140 mpg. economy. I grew up driving a greasy 55 Chevy with a 427 ci. motor and a blower,putting out 650hp and getting 1-4 mpg. Those days are over, and now my taste in cars runs to Audi, Audi, or Audi. Whatever way you look at it, the next few years will be wonderful for those of us that enjoy cars, driving, and new technology. Anyway, you didn't say where you were hailing from, but thanks for visiting my site and your interest in my car.
Ken Norwick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L300Boy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L300Boy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread