SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2006, 10:33 AM   #1
MBman
MBman is on a distinguished road

Default "New" SL1 2002 "Potential" owner with Questions

Well here is the deal . This is a 2002 SL1 with 69000 miles. In excellent shape , no visible issues. Has all the bells and whistles, PW/PL/ AM FM CD, cruise , AC / Automatic. Runs great. I was looking for an SL2 but this is one nice car. Wants $5,600 , I have him down to $5450
How does that sound to all of you, I know this guy so he is shooting straight with me. Sells cars on the side, How is the reliability of this car compared to the SL2?
I have had it for the weekend and all I can find is that the steering wheel makes a bit of a squeak when I turn it.
Anything I should look for, any recalls, failures . For my 18 year old daughter so I am wanting a good reliable safe car
The only issue is the squeek that comes while turning the wheel, Seems to be eminating from the steering shaft , inside hosing, I think...
I put it up on lifts and crawled under it , saw no leaks, no holes, no damage. Brakes seem good , probably need changed in the next 6000 miles or so. The plugs will need changed, air filter. Rest of the fluids are up to date. I dont know about Tranny. is this a 50K or 100K interval? I have a 2000 SL2 that has been pretty well trouble free.

Thanks Agian

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MBman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MBman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MBman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2006, 10:49 AM   #2
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: "New" SL1 2002 "Potential" owner with Questions

Sounds good to me. The SL1 are usualy a little more reliable with the SOHC than the SL2s with the DOHC, but the DOHC are more fun to drive. Tranny service is a 50,000km (30,000miles) service interval I believe. Or maybe 50,000km for the first one, then 100,000kms after that, I'm not toally sure. Mine was done at 50K as part of the 50K service before I picked it up. Anyway this one sounds good, and I'm sure your daughter will love the car, as long as the maintenence is kept up.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:57 AM   #3
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

If in doubt, change the tranny fluid.
Has a screw on oil filter, just like oil. Heck, if you can change engine oil, you can change tranny oil.
Another thing, change the coolant. They say it is good for 100K miles, don't believe them. THis is another super easy thing to do on the s series. Forget about draining the radiator, the plug is hard to get to. Just below the output for the water pump, there is a drain plug (looks like a bolt that does nothing.) Just unscrew it, drain the fluid there, and refill with the orange stuff.
If you are changing the front pads, get new rotors too. They tend to warp easily. The rotors are under $20 each.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alleninpa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alleninpa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alleninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:05 AM   #4
MBman

Thanks, OEM on tranny filter? or will other do
also type of plug recomendation

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MBman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-27-2006, 11:06 AM   #5
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Check the oil.

Check the oil.

Check the oil.

Did I mention, check the oil?

Remind your daughter to check the oil at EVERY fill up. A lot of people (especially teenagers) don't think about it but it is something that must be maintained on an S-series. A 2002 should not have an oil burning problem, but it still needs to be checked just in case, just like you should on any car. It only takes a second and hopefully you've taught her how. It can prolong the life of her car by many many years and catch any oil burning long before it becomes an issue. Make sure she stays on top of the oil changes also, because dirty oil can gum up all kinds of things in the engine and cause big problems down the road. That's what happened to my 94 SL1 - previous owner changed the oil when she remembered to (I'm guessing maybe 3 or 4 times in the 91,000 miles she had it) and then 20k miles after I got it (and I religiously changed the oil at 3k miles and checked the oil at every fillup because it burned it so bad) the engine seized two days after an oil change (and , according to the dipstick, still full of fresh clean oil!) because the oil pump was so clogged up it couldn't pump the clean oil through it.

13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:06 AM   #6
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

There is no other kind besides OEM for the tranny filter, and what plug do you mean? Spark plugs? OEM for those too.
And Spazie, oil burning is a non-issue on a 2002. It's not like older Saturns. Check it but, every fill-up is not necessary. And do make absolutely sure it is changed on time.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-27-2006, 11:09 AM   #7
Spazie
Master Member

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

For spark plugs, copper works best. DO NOT get platinum plugs, Saturn engines hate them. I've always heard NGK copper plugs work the best.

04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-27-2006, 11:12 AM   #8
MBman

man you guys rock...thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-27-2006, 11:27 AM   #9
Spazie
Master Member

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBman
man you guys rock...thanks
That's what makes this site so awesome. Let us know how the car goes and how she likes it!

04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-27-2006, 12:57 PM   #10
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Transmission and spark plug service is EVERY 30,000 miles - drain and refill (do not flush). The PCV valve could use a replacement (real cheap) along with a good cleaning of the EGR valve and throttle body (cheap again). A bottle of Chevron Techron through the tank wouldn't hurt either.

If the coolant is pinkish/orange and the car isn't running hot, you're good until 150k on that. DEX-COOL is good if the system stays closed and no air bubbles are introduced. People only have problems when they muck around with it (removing the cap when hot, not refilling properly, wrong mixture, etc.). Draining and refilling more often (when the system is in proper working order) only increases the chances that you'll introduce air.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:33 PM   #11
getz999
getz999 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1
2001 SC2

compression test that sucker...

also, i have an 01 SL1 with every option and I love it....

except i hate the motor and tranny...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to getz999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help getz999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
getz999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 06:07 PM   #12
sl_don
sl_don is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

i have an 02 sl (stripped sl1) and after 76000 kms ive done only brakes and other routine mantenance. wonderful car and there are no recalls on the 2002 models (ive had mine since new) my only complaint was the oem tires they were not very good but what do you expect on a 12000 dollar car.

If it isn't broken.........Your not trying hard enough

2002 SL first brand new car in my family since the 1981 Pontiac Phoenix (sold)
2004 Vue AWD V6 bought used (current)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sl_don's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sl_don reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sl_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:46 AM   #13
PaulN64
PaulN64 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazie
For spark plugs, copper works best. DO NOT get platinum plugs, Saturn engines hate them. I've always heard NGK copper plugs work the best.
any particular reason that the engine does not like the platnum plugs?

2001 SL2<-- daily driver
2006 Corvette Z06<-- fun car
www.sounddomain.com/id/2004z06

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaulN64's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaulN64 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PaulN64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 11:05 AM   #14
MBman

Well I bought it, nice ride, changed plugs, they needed it , air filter, cleaned throtle body, but it was pretty spotless. O/F done, will do tranny this weekend. Thanks again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2006, 11:13 AM   #15
asgardshill
asgardshill is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulN64
You know, that's funny. I've never seen a particular theory given as to why this is true. But report after report confirms that Saturns just seem to run badly on platinum plugs while running much better on the non-platinum type. Just a design quirk I guess.

As for me personally, I put the cheapest Autolites that Wal Mart had in there and it runs just fine. But that's just me.

Sir, the poster's automobile's name is Becky Sue, sir.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to asgardshill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help asgardshill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
asgardshill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 11:15 AM   #16
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

You are very welcome. We're always happy to help. And hope your daughter enjoys the car very much.

Quote:
There is. Search the forum if you want the complete answer, but as I recall it is somthing about a reverse spark and platinum electrodes not being able to handle it very well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Old 02-28-2006, 07:03 PM   #17
sl_don
sl_don is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

the only thing i can think of as to be a reason for platinum plugs not working well would be if they were the wrong heat range. as for the reverse spark or more accuratly the waste spark. i really dont see how a platinum plug would be a problem since many gm's use the same ignition system and run great with platinum plugs. i"l search for a good explanation cause my car runs great on platinums.

If it isn't broken.........Your not trying hard enough

2002 SL first brand new car in my family since the 1981 Pontiac Phoenix (sold)
2004 Vue AWD V6 bought used (current)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sl_don's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sl_don reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sl_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:21 PM   #18
Kielvec
Kielvec is on a distinguished road

1991 SL2

i dont rember the thread but their the wrong heat range it said. i put NKG (?) V-power copper plugs in like was said (i believe it said stic with copper plugs) and it flies

"I can her the machine spirit cry out in pain" unkown Techmarine of the Adeptus Mechanicus

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kielvec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kielvec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kielvec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:34 PM   #19
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Other GM vehicles were designed to use the extended life spark plugs. Saturns were meant to be changed every 30,000 miles. Platinum plugs have a smaller but more durable electrode that doesn't work well with the waste spark sent by the stock coils. This seems to me more prevalent with DOHC models. For some reason, the SOHC engines don't often exhibit the same behavior. Perhaps it's the position of the plug in the combustion chamber, who knows.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:43 AM   #20
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Waste spark, that's what I meant to say.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation