SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 02-22-2006, 06:03 PM   #1
jab21
jab21 is on a distinguished road

Default How much should a new clutch cost?

I was just wondering if anyone knew what I should be charged by a mechanic to put a new clutch in for a 93 saturn coupe sc2?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jab21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jab21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jab21 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2006, 06:26 PM   #2
katarn444
katarn444 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: How much should a new clutch cost?

I believe usually around $1000. It is a tough job. Either the engine has to be taken out or the cradle dropped and the the trans pulled into the driver wheel well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to katarn444's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help katarn444 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
katarn444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:40 PM   #3
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl is on a distinguished road

Part is around $200. Rest is labor... figure 5 hrs.

89 CSX 99.7 mph trap and climbing
85 GLH 102 mph trap
94 855

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:23 PM   #4
Rusty
Rusty is on a distinguished road

when i was having my new transaxle installed in my 93 sc2, the new clutch was gonna cost $82. i dont know how much for the labor tho. my bill was $1347, that was for the tow, new starter, throw out bearing, and having the tranny installed. all that and i didnt even get a carwash...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rusty's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rusty reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:27 PM   #5
Red97sc2
Advanced Member
Red97sc2 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
2005 ION-2 Sedan

Back when SDA ( Street Design Auto ) still did repairs in their shop - I bought a Valeo clutch for $130 shipped then drove 4 hours to NY to their place and paid $220. So, counting up the mileage and the parts, I probably paid about $400 give or take...This was after checking several places that I could walk to in town - the average price was about $800.

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan.
2001 SL2 - Daughters School Vehicle.
1970 Mercury Cougar: 351C, 4spd. Classic for shows.
2005 Ion Level 2 5m - To work and around town vehicle.
2006 P71 Gold 140k miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Red97sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Red97sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Red97sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:38 PM   #6
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Parts (pressure plate, clutch disk, throwout bearing) run <$200. Labor (provided the flywheel is ok as is) should be about 5 hours.

Add another $150 for new hydraulics (recommended)

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:12 PM   #7
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Mitchell flate rate book comes in at about 7-8 hours labour. It can depend on the shop, what labour rate book they use and if they want to discount the labour to get your business.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:17 PM   #8
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

where are you Jab? Prices vary across the country.

Might try opening your yellow pages and calling around. Might find a shop hungry for the work. It's not too tough, just time consuming.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:25 PM   #9
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

I had the clutch replaced about 6 months ago on my '96. Out the door it was around $650. I second the suggestion of calling around. Both transmission and straight mechanical shops do this work. I found that the price varied by about $150.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:06 PM   #10
dwhisent
dwhisent is on a distinguished road

Had my 95 SL1 done last week at the mechanic, $559.00. (Dealership offered to do it for $1700.00.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dwhisent's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dwhisent reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dwhisent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:23 PM   #11
firevswater5
firevswater5 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

My question is- who has driven the longest on their original clutch. Personally, mine has 117k on it and still kicking. My friend drive his Civic to 170k when the head gasket cracked. It had the original clutch though.

And how many miles were on the clutch when you had to replace it?

Last edited by firevswater5; 02-23-2006 at 06:29 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to firevswater5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help firevswater5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
firevswater5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:44 PM   #12
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl is on a distinguished road

Completely depended on the driver.

89 CSX 99.7 mph trap and climbing
85 GLH 102 mph trap
94 855

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 12:34 AM   #13
Rusty
Rusty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by firevswater5
My question is- who has driven the longest on their original clutch. Personally, mine has 117k on it and still kicking. My friend drive his Civic to 170k when the head gasket cracked. It had the original clutch though.

164k before i replaced mine. wasnt nessicary, but went ahead and had it done while the tranny was off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rusty's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rusty reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 12:41 AM   #14
DarrylLeeOHS30
Advanced Member
DarrylLeeOHS30 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
2001 SL2

112 K on my sl2 and its still runnin strong.. & my sister had a corolla before her SL that had 210 K on it when she got rear ended (and totaling it) and it still had the original clutch.

-Darryl

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DarrylLeeOHS30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DarrylLeeOHS30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DarrylLeeOHS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:06 AM   #15
1995 SC2
1995 SC2 is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up Re: How much should a new clutch cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firevswater5

So far I got everybody Beat! My 1995 SC2 has 170,500 Miles on the Original Clutch and still going Strong! And I still have the Original Alternator!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1995 SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1995 SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1995 SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 09:13 AM   #16
anasazi
anasazi is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1

we're pretty sure this 1992 SL1 has over 200k miles, and i think it has pretty close to 250k miles due to being driven up and down the east coast a few times. odometer broke at 88k miles about 8-9 years ago.

stock clutch. shifter cables are pretty hosed though, but they still function so they're fine. stock hydraulics too. actually, the only things to be replaced on this car is starter (hurricane damage), altinator and battery few times (florida), brake pads, and catalytic converter.

its been under water during a hurricane, that happened about 2.5 years ago. still runs strong

we've owned it since it was brand new.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anasazi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anasazi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anasazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 09:51 AM   #17
bender
bender is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

118K on mine! I started a thread recently asking if I should start getting worried and the concensus was that these clutches are strong. It does depend on the driver but my previous car (older Accord) ate up several clutches. I'm real easy on it so I hope I not only make it to the 200K miles club but the 200K clutch club too

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bender's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bender reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:00 AM   #18
katarn444
katarn444 is on a distinguished road

I changed mine at about 120,000 but when I took it off it had a ton of friction material still on it. I do not know why it was slipping. There was no oil or atf on it. The springs on the pressure plate did not look so good though. I should have put that clutch back on and just changed the pressure plate and throw out bearing.

K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to katarn444's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help katarn444 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
katarn444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:02 AM   #19
RangerRover
RangerRover is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

180k on mine, but it needs to be done. Stock clutch (1994)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RangerRover's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RangerRover reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RangerRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:47 PM   #20
jjsk8r85
Advanced Member
jjsk8r85 is on a distinguished road

1992 SC

I paid $600 to get my stock clutch replaced at 150K. the clutch was 125, and labor was 475 obviously.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jjsk8r85's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jjsk8r85 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jjsk8r85 is offline   Reply With Quote