SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2006, 03:54 PM   #1
flyhop
Advanced Member
flyhop is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
2000 SL2
Default Need to remove crankshaft pulley bolt. What size?

I am replacing the front crankshaft oil seal. I will need to get a deep socket and breaker bar. Anybody know the right size?

Once I get this far into the repair, I won't have wheels to get me to store to buy the correct sized socket.

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to flyhop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help flyhop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
flyhop is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2006, 04:25 PM   #2
WingsOfSaturn
WingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enoughWingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
1995 SL2
Default Re: Need to remove crankshaft pulley bolt. What size?

22mm, check the How-To Library on how to do it. It can be a bear sometime.

"When you stop to fill up on oil, don't forget to check the gas"
98 SL2 MT 213K+ Daily Driver 38+ mpg
97 SL2 AT 150K Original Owner
95 SL2 MT 220K+
My Saturns have BRASS ones!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WingsOfSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WingsOfSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WingsOfSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 04:28 PM   #3
flyhop
Advanced Member

1997 SL2
2000 SL2

Romzek...thanks for that. I read and re-read the How-To posts. I think a small bottle jack under end of breaker bar should get it for me. Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help flyhop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2006, 05:21 PM   #4
ls1racer ws6
ls1racer ws6 is on a distinguished road

I tried for 20 minutes to get that bolt off... Finally threw some penetrating oil on it and whammy, came right off with the impact wrench (life saver). I didnt even try the oil at first because i knew the threads go so far into the crank it wouldnt matter. But i think what happens is the washer around the bolt rusts right to the crank pully. Penetrating oil took care of that

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ls1racer ws6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ls1racer ws6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ls1racer ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 06:55 PM   #5
flyhop
Advanced Member

1997 SL2
2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by romzek
22mm, check the How-To Library on how to do it. It can be a bear sometime.
There may be some variety. 22mm is too big. 9/16" is just right. FYI...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-19-2006, 09:19 PM   #6
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyhop

9/16 is no where close to being right. 7/8 is the closest to 22mm.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 09:41 PM   #7
SaturnTech
SaturnTech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyhop
FYI--there isn't an SAE fastener ANYWHERE on ANY Saturn...EVERYTHING is metric. If you're using a standard socket on any fastener on a Saturn and just about every other car manufactured after 1986 or so...you're using the WRONG tool. Everything is metric. I've been wrenching for a little over 15 years and I don't even own any sockets or wrenches in standard sizes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnTech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnTech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 10:04 PM   #8
Token
Advanced Member
Token is on a distinguished road

1994 SW2

On my 1994 SW2 I used a 12 point 13/16 - 1/2 inch size socket. It was a perfect fit.
Also, I recommend getting a 2 foot pry bar, and a 1/2 inch breaker bar. At the end of the breaker bar you might need more leverage. So you might want to get yourself a 2 foot steel pipe to stick on the end of your breaker bar.
Take the pry bar and wedge it in between the pulley and the engine. Be careful not to move the crank from TDC (Top dead center). You will be going counter clockwise to get the bolt off (which is torqued at 159lbs.) So with your breaker bar and the steel pipe, it shouldn't take that much strength to get it off.

"Some days your the dog, some days your the hydrant."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Token's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Token reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Token is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 10:25 PM   #9
asgardshill
asgardshill is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnTech
FYI--there isn't an SAE fastener ANYWHERE on ANY Saturn...EVERYTHING is metric.
I've found two weird exceptions to this so far in my car. The bolts that attach the battery cables to the side post battery terminals are 5/16'' SAE - obviously aftermarket cables. And I found a 5/16'' hex bolt that the previous owner used to replace one of the stock 7mm male Torx bolts under the passenger seat.

A quick trip to the junkyard and Autozone would take care of both of these issues, but they're way down on my priority list right now.

Sir, the poster's automobile's name is Becky Sue, sir.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to asgardshill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help asgardshill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
asgardshill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 10:51 PM   #10
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

As SaturnTech said the fasteners on the car are all metric. The reason that you can use some standard tools is that some of the sizes are close enough to match each other.
5/16 is about 8mm
7/16 is about 11mm
Plus others.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 10:58 PM   #11
adhhaahok
adhhaahok is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by asgardshill
I've found two weird exceptions to this so far in my car. The bolts that attach the battery cables to the side post battery terminals are 5/16'' SAE - obviously aftermarket cables. And I found a 5/16'' hex bolt that the previous owner used to replace one of the stock 7mm male Torx bolts under the passenger seat.

The battery cables are held on with 8mm bolts on my car. That may be just my car, though, hehe.

My crankshaft pulley bolts on all 4 engines that i have are 21mm. Granted all my engines are from 1991-1996 SC2's. 21mm still has a VERY small bit of play on the bolt, so 22mm would be obviously too big. Every time i have pulled out an engine (which taking the crankshaft pulley off helps tremendously) i have used a 21mm. i have replaced 3 engines in my 1993 and 4 in my 1995. Yeah, so i run the schiza out of my cars. You will have a 21mm socket in any standard bought tool set, if it comes with 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4 inch socket wrenches. Hope this helps.

If you baby your car, it will baby your wallet...If you abuse your car, it will abuse your wallet.

1993/1995 SC2. You decide. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2234915

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adhhaahok's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adhhaahok reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adhhaahok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 10:59 PM   #12
adhhaahok
adhhaahok is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman
As SaturnTech said the fasteners on the car are all metric. The reason that you can use some standard tools is that some of the sizes are close enough to match each other.
5/16 is about 8mm
7/16 is about 11mm
Plus others.

a VERY common mismatch is 1/2" and 13mm. SaturnTech and ssicarman are exactly right.

If you baby your car, it will baby your wallet...If you abuse your car, it will abuse your wallet.

1993/1995 SC2. You decide. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2234915

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adhhaahok's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adhhaahok reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adhhaahok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:18 AM   #13
flyhop
Advanced Member

1997 SL2
2000 SL2

Wow. Lot of flak over a typo.

It wasn't 9/16; it was 13/16. 22mm was too loose; I moved to 13/16 as I didn't want to round over the bolt.

Anyway, it worked, the new front seal is in, the car's been run for a while, and cardboard's under engine tonight to spot any tell-tale leaks.

thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2006, 06:38 AM   #14
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

I glad you got it fixed....but I will also chime in to say that I would NEVER use an inappropriate and 12 POINT! sized socket on a critical and high torque fastner such as the crankshaft pulley bolt. Had you managed to round that puppy off, you'd be so far up the creek that you couldn't catch a bus back to just plain up the creek...

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 10:59 AM   #15
Token
Advanced Member
Token is on a distinguished road

1994 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
I glad you got it fixed....but I will also chime in to say that I would NEVER use an inappropriate and 12 POINT! sized socket on a critical and high torque fastner such as the crankshaft pulley bolt. Had you managed to round that puppy off, you'd be so far up the creek that you couldn't catch a bus back to just plain up the creek...
Your exactly right, I got lucky in getting off the crank bolt with a 12 point socket. Six point is the safer way to approach this bolt.

"Some days your the dog, some days your the hydrant."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Token's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Token reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Token is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:00 PM   #16
flyhop
Advanced Member

1997 SL2
2000 SL2

Before putting the wrench to it, I placed the 22mm socket over the bolt only to find a fair amount of play. It was just NOT a snug fit.

I found a 13/16" (6 pointer...I paid attention to a long-ago post from Wolfman) to be the right fit. Lots of tugging, grunting and groaning, and the bolt came off. Getting it back on was a little easier; I lay on my back, held onto the car's underside and used my foot on the end of the torque wrench. The wife was kind enough to tell me when it hit 159.

So far, no leaks! Took a good number of pics, and I'll post those soon.

Thanks again to all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2006, 01:51 PM   #17
Old_Coot
Old_Coot is on a distinguished road

I wonder if somebody in the past replaced that bolt with an odd one???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Old_Coot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Old_Coot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old_Coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 02:05 PM   #18
flyhop
Advanced Member

1997 SL2
2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Coot
I wonder if somebody in the past replaced that bolt with an odd one???
You know, that is a possibility that crossed my mind earlier today. This is the second engine in this SL2. My old one threw a rod (hard lesson in "check your oil regularly"). This new engine had 97,000 miles on it, and came out of an SL2 automatic.

Maybe someone did change it...I don't know. Anyway, it's fixed and not leaking. Thanks for the continued responses. I'm learning a lot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2006, 08:18 PM   #19
Ken Benson
Ken Benson is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
1997 SC1

Hi, I just wanted to chime in about the odd sized crank pulley bolt. I just this week started an engine rebuild on an engine from a 96 SC2, and the bolt size was 21 mm. I firmly second Wolfman's comment (as if he needs anyone's second opinion for it to be gospel ) about using the proper size and making sure it's a six point socket. I'd also made sure it was at least a 1/2" drive socket, the torque on that was HIGH.

This engine was also a rebuild that I foolishly let a local shop do. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it weren't the original bolt after everything else I found wrong with that "fixed" engine. That's why I'm getting ready to do another rebuild. But that is another thread!

By the way, first time poster! I love this forum!

Ken

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ken Benson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ken Benson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ken Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 01:21 PM   #20
kcooper992
kcooper992 is on a distinguished road

I haven't posted much here but it doesnt take a genius to do some simple fractions. If we're going to argue standard and metric lets keep in mind that these are just simple methods of measuring distance. Metric does it neatly in units of 10, standard is just a mess based on ancient mathematic principles. If you think about it an inch has 25.4 millimeters in it. A 13/16" ratchet bit will provide for 20.6 mm of clearance. If you can get this standard bit to fit (even though God himself might **** on you for using a standard bit on a metric bolt) you will actually guarantee a tighter fit than the 21 mm bit. Most tools are manufactured to an exacting degree of precision so that 21mm bit is at least 20.9 - 21.1 mm and the 13/16" is going to be damn close to 13/16". Pretty much what I'm getting at is if you have a standard and a metric that seem to fit , do the simple math and find which is smaller. The smaller the bit the tighter the fit and the less likely you are to shred your grip. This is a 159 ft-lb torqued bolt, do not strip it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kcooper992's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kcooper992 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kcooper992 is offline   Reply With Quote