SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2006, 02:57 AM   #1
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Default Saturn Outlook cancelled?

I'm surprised to see no mention of it here, but I just saw the front page headline over on Cheers and Gears stating that the Outlook has been killed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2006, 04:37 AM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Saturn Outlook cancelled?

Well, I'll wait for a press release. Cheers and Gears always reads like a bunch on middle aged guys crying in their beer about the death of Oldsmobile to me. I owned 6 Oldsmobiles...all Cutlasses... my driver's ed car was a 77' Cutlass! I like them too, but come on, its time to let the dead rest already!

(The major reason why Saturn languished for over 7 years with nothing new is that GM was using the cash to try and save the very dated Oldsmobile line. Had they not, imagine where Saturn and GM as a whole could be today...)

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

Last edited by wolfman; 02-17-2006 at 04:44 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 05:11 AM   #3
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
(The major reason why Saturn languished for over 7 years with nothing new is that GM was using the cash to try and save the very dated Oldsmobile line. Had they not, imagine where Saturn and GM as a whole could be today...)
But Oldsmobile is just a name. The line wasn't dated when they gave it new products. I mean, the Intrigue was a very nice car, and was no more dated with an Oldsmobile badge than it would have been with a Chevy badge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-17-2006, 07:39 AM   #4
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

It was the name that GM thought was giving them trouble. Try and find the word Oldsmobile anywhere on the last couple of years of their production. GM dropped the nameplate in favor of that swooshy thing.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 07:44 AM   #5
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

I never saw the Outlook as saturn material.Its just to big.Let Chevrolet and GMC have the bigger trucks.Making the VUE in two sizes seems like a better idea to me.Give one version of the VUE with three seats like the Equixon and one standard version. Have the three seat version come standard with Honda V6.A small pick up truck would be the better idea built on current GM platforms.Remember fuel efficent,different looking,high quality vehicles with good customer service was the orginal mission.The Sky will be enough for the public to try and digest this comming year giving saturn a much needed excitment image.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:09 AM   #6
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

AH-HA's website says otherwise.

C&G is full of it.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 09:23 AM   #7
04AWDV6VUE
04AWDV6VUE is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-1
AH-HA's website says otherwise.

C&G is full of it.
That's what I thought, Saturn wouldn't show us that "teaser" photo and then cancel the car. When they showed us the "teaser" the car design was basically done, I would assume. That is fine with me that they are going to delay the vehicle a couple of months. I would rather have the vehicle come out a few months later w/ no major problems then be rushed to launch and have a bunch of recalls (i.e. Ford Escape had 12 in its first year of production)

'04 AWD V6 VUE - For Sale!
'00 SC2 (Former)

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=845871#post845871

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 04AWDV6VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 04AWDV6VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
04AWDV6VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 09:36 AM   #8
thatjerryguy
thatjerryguy will become famous soon enoughthatjerryguy will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Attention Re: Saturn Outlook cancelled?

I too cannot imagine GM would cancel the Outlook so close to it's introduction, and with millions already spent on its development. GM delayed the intro of the Solstice to work out the bugs, they're doing the same with the Outlook, and it'll be a better, more competetive vehicle for it.

BTW, I think that's why the intro of the production Aura was pushed back to the NY show give GM time to make the tweaks that'll make the Aura even more of a winner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thatjerryguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thatjerryguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thatjerryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 03:09 PM   #9
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

The idea of the Outlook being cancelled is too much out of logic to make sense. Cancelling a car that is about 2 months from introduction with teaser shots out wouldn't make any sense. I'd believe it if I heard it from GM directly and saw it reported in many news sources...but as a rumor? Pffft.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 04:11 PM   #10
KenSatrun
KenSatrun is on a distinguished road

Cheers&Gears / Josh pulled the thread at GM's request. Give me a break! More like he figured out he shouldn't write when he's smoking illegal substances!

I can't wait to see it!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KenSatrun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KenSatrun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KenSatrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 04:42 PM   #11
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2
But Oldsmobile is just a name. The line wasn't dated when they gave it new products. I mean, the Intrigue was a very nice car, and was no more dated with an Oldsmobile badge than it would have been with a Chevy badge.
Be honest, the first thing that pops into your head:
What do you think of when you hear the name "Lexus"? Okay. Now, what do you think of when you hear the name "Oldsmobile".

Image is everything no matter what your'e selling and Oldsmobile couldn't escape the image of marshmallow-suspended oversized golf carts for cataract patients. See? Even I see them that way. It doesn't matter how good the product was at the end - and I'd rather have lost puffed-up-Chevy-wannabe-division Pontiac then Olds. The Aurora, Intrigue and Alero were great, unique cars with catchy looks and decent, competitive features/performance for thousands less than the imports. The Bravada and Silhouette didn't belong in Olds' stable, but at least they had the same 'feel'. GM just couldn't get younger people interested in their "Grandfather's Oldsmobile" and the youthful sportiness of the cars clashed with the uh,....more geriatric clientele that normally trolled the lots in their Rascal scooters. The damage was done and their were two choices: continue to pump billions into a ship that had no rudder or pull the plug and move on. They pulled the plug. Like I said, I'd rather have lost Pontiac, now there's a division that has no sense of identity. Aside from the GTO, you can get everything Pontiac sells from the Chevy guy, for less money. And you needn't grow a mullett.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 05:06 AM   #12
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn_69
Be honest, the first thing that pops into your head:
What do you think of when you hear the name "Lexus"? Okay. Now, what do you think of when you hear the name "Oldsmobile".

Image is everything no matter what your'e selling and Oldsmobile couldn't escape the image of marshmallow-suspended oversized golf carts for cataract patients. See?
Maybe I'm just not old enough to be tainted by the Oldsmobile stereotype, but when I think of Olds, I think of my uncle and his very nice 1998 fully loaded Intrigue. Growing up, I remember the Cutlass Supreme coupe being one of the most popular cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-18-2006, 03:21 PM   #13
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

It has been reported that the start of Outlook production will be postponed from September to late November. That's hardly a reason to say it's cancelled, though now it's likely GM/Saturn will classify the Outlook as an 2008 model. My suspicion is that construction of the new plant in Lansing which will build Lambda is near completion, but not in time for the original Job 1 date set by GM. Otherwise, why a two-month delay?

Walt, the Sky will generate showroom traffic, but the higher-volume Aura is what helps to keep Saturn afloat in the coming year. The burden needs to come off the shoulders of the ION and VUE, and it can't come soon enough.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 05:06 PM   #14
haypops
haypops is on a distinguished road

My understanding is that the two month hold was at the beginning of the program, years ago.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to haypops's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help haypops reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
haypops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 11:57 PM   #15
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Ha, information on message forums is rarely truthful when it comes to things like this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:26 PM   #16
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

When will production of the 6T-70 automatic come online?

Perhaps it is a contributing factor to the delay. I was of the understanding the 6-speed would be standard for all versions of Lambda.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:44 AM   #17
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-seriesguy
Ha, information on message forums is rarely truthful when it comes to things like this.
But I read it on the internet....it HAS to be true.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 03:05 AM   #18
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member

Oh well, too bad. We all know how much the world needs yet another SUV!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-21-2006, 10:14 AM   #19
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

The Outlook (and GMC Acadia and Buick Enclave) isn't an SUV in the truest sense. It's in the growing market segment similar to the Ford Freestyle and Chrysler Pacifica. It's a crossover and is on a unibody style platform. This is a good thing--people with Chevy Tahoes/GMC Yukons and other full size SUVs might go into these crossovers instead. They'll get better mileage than a full-size SUV, that's a given, and they'll weigh less too.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:49 AM   #20
Big Bird
Big Bird is on a distinguished road

From the picture that I saw, it looked like the family truckster from the movie family vacation especially with all the headlights. Every family needs one of those to go to Wally World in, surely they won't cancell it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Big Bird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Big Bird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote