SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Polls and Questions
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should GM Import the Opel Astra from Europe as Saturn's Next Small Car?
Yes! 81 63.78%
No Way! 32 25.20%
I Don't Care... 14 11.02%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-25-2006, 09:38 PM   #141
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Should GM Import the Opel Astra from Europe as Saturn's Next Small Car?

I revived this thread because while I was looking on GMInsideNews, I found pictures that someone put up of the Brazilian Chevrolet Vectra, which is actually an Astra. They sell a sedan model there. The platforms for the Astra have me confused with how they do it, but here's the pics anyway.

They got the pictures from here.

For comparison, the Astra hatch (which looks great in this pic; this is a Holden version):
I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be the small sedan. The lines of the doors are obviously Astra. I think it would look pretty good with some Saturn badges...and the wheel arches would probably be right at home with the Aura. I did a length conversion from the 4815 mm listed at the site. It came out to be about 181.8 inches...so it would fit in better than the current ION.
I would still like to see the Astra sold here as a wagon and 3 door though. If you look the Holden and Chevy in the pics have the same rooflines and door lines (obviously not same door as ones a hatch, the other a sedan) so the fenders would probably swap, so the Opel front could go on making it more in line with the Saturn look. Slap on some US-spec bumpers and Saturn badges, and then we'll move onto the interior.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2006, 12:09 PM   #142
haypops
haypops is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Should GM Import the Opel Astra from Europe as Saturn's Next Small Car?

send a link to the inside GM link. I read elsewhere that it would be too ecpensive to import the Astra from Germany/Sweeden. Instead the chevrolet Vectra from Brazil would become the next ION replacement. I believe that is what you have pictured here. The Brazillian Vectra is actually the previous generation Astra. These are interesting times.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to haypops's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help haypops reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
haypops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 03:44 PM   #143
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by haypops
send a link to the inside GM link. I read elsewhere that it would be too ecpensive to import the Astra from Germany/Sweeden. Instead the chevrolet Vectra from Brazil would become the next ION replacement. I believe that is what you have pictured here. The Brazillian Vectra is actually the previous generation Astra. These are interesting times.
I don't think it is. Wikipedia lists the Chevrolet Vectra as based on the Astra C, if by "a new, locally designed Vectra sedan, based on the smaller Astra" they mean the Astra C. The doors and A pillars seem to be identical to the Astra 5-door. The old, previous generation Astra is still sold in Brazil as the Chevy Astra, and it wouldn't make sense for both vehicles on the same platform to be sold with different exteriors and interiors.

Here's the Chevrolet Vectra site for Chevrolet of Brazil:
http://www.chevrolet.com.br/vectra/index.shtm

Here is the GMInsideNews forum link:
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/s...t=26902&page=7

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:34 PM   #144
haypops
haypops is on a distinguished road

well thanks for the links. It's still not clear to me though. This will be fun.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to haypops's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help haypops reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
haypops is offline   Reply With Quote