SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Polls and Questions
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should GM Import the Opel Astra from Europe as Saturn's Next Small Car?
Yes! 81 63.78%
No Way! 32 25.20%
I Don't Care... 14 11.02%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2006, 02:10 PM   #41
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Should GM Import the Opel Astra from Europe as Saturn's Next Small Car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap138
I'll take mine with the 200hp 2.0 Turbo Ecotec and a six-speed manual please.
Wow...can I post a little more about this subject?

Here ya go, a few little facts....

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2006, 02:12 PM   #42
rossao1
Advanced Member
rossao1 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
Thumbs Down Re: Should GM Import the Opel Astra from Europe as Saturn's Next Small Car?

I vote no, And I am way in the minority. my how times have changed,
I wish that I could get excited about an imported Saturn. As much as the imports are "reported" to be better, I don't think that I will stray too far from the "Made in America" lable. My '99 Mercury Villager was made in Ohio and was also sold as a Nissan quest. So, I can't too righteous about hating "foriegn cars".

But I maintain that I am a "Made in america" guy. I could go buy an Accord or a Civic easier, than buying a car "made overthere". I would be at least employing my fellow Ohioians. I hope and pray that the 3 door or 5 door is an option that comes our way. Make it different, and make it in Tennesee. Exporting Saturns as Opels does not offend me. Go for it. It employees US citizens.

And yet I know that resistance is futile. Opel and Saturn are now married with children. General Motors only needs to change the logos and name on the Saturn/Opel brand to become the GMC car company. While they are at it lets fold in the buick or the pontiac car companies too. I bet it happens when GM re-reorg's under bankruptsy protection. It all seems too possible to me.

I am heartbroken. GM has sold Saturn's soul.

A Saturn owner since 10/91.
'92 SC, '91 SL2, 95 SW1, '06 ION3
other car- '02 Expedition 5.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rossao1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rossao1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rossao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 02:29 PM   #43
haypops
haypops is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn_69
Agreed. Although, we could get 1 or 2 years of the current Astra as a stop-gap measure. Let's not forget, they are also imported into Mexico in 2007, and do we not have the NAFTA? Couldn't they ship them from England, Brussels or Germany to Mexico, then ship them from Mexico to the U.S. without paying import duties?
There are no import duties on imported cars just a 25% duty on imported trucks. I think that the astra sold in Mexico may be made there or in Brazil, probably not Europe, but I am not sure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to haypops's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help haypops reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
haypops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 02:34 PM   #44
gkl
gkl is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Should GM Import the Opel Astra from Europe as Saturn's Next Small Car?

Quote:
The dimensions I gave were for the hatchback, not the sedan or 5 door. The Astra wouldn't feel cramped since most of it's interior dimensions are the same as the Ion Quadcoupe. The Astra does compare dimensionally with the Mazda 3 - the 5dr Astra and Mazda 3 5dr are practically the same size, and they don't seem to have any trouble selling as many of those that they can make. The Corolla is about the same as the Ion, except it has more headroom and rear seat legroom; the Matrix is wider, taller, has more headroom, rearseat legroom and a wider track than the Ion. The Astra is bigger than the S-series and we've all owned at least one of those and raved about it, some of us still do. The 91-96 SC were smaller inside than a Geo Metro and no one complained; the SL's are smaller inside than any Cavalier; the Astra is palatial compared to the S-series. I'm just suggesting we don't shoot it down for being too small when all we have to judge it are photos and hunches that it's the same size as something in a different niche. Let's wait and see.
I agree, Mazda 3, Matrix and Vibe seem to sell. Not my style, but others are free to buy'em.

I've driven SLs for many years. Interior-wise, IMO, they're pretty similar to the Ion except for more front leg room, front seat travel and trunk space in the Ion. The SL is 9-10 inches longer than the Astra - I suspect most of that must be in the SL's trunk. Come to think of it, I've driven quite a few Cavalier/Sunfires and never noticed a lot more space than my SL.

I did a hands-on comparison of 05/06 Corolla/Ion. Ion is fine for me. But even with the Corolla seat all the way back, the steering wheel was at my chest and my head was practically touching the roof. I couldn't believe how much it's shrunk - we have an older Corolla in addition to our Saturn, and it's fine, similar interior space to the SL/Ion, maybe even a bit more rear seat room.

If Astra has as much interior space as an Ion or SL, that's good, but none of those are what I'd call palatial.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gkl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gkl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 03:27 PM   #45
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

If the the US does not have the capability of manufacturing the Astra/ION, then it's not taking jobs away from Americans. Even though it's made overseas, it's by an American company. I suspect that the importing is a stop-gap measure until production can be worked out stateside.

Does anyone have any theories about which model years we are talking about? Will we see a 2008 Saturn Astra? Or maybe even a 2007? Current rumors suggest that the ION line in Spring Hill will run through the end of calendar year 2006, which means we will have some 2007 IONs. Maybe we'll have an early 2008 Saturn Astra. I hope that is the case. I want to see this car here as soon as possible!

Where is the Astra in its product cycle? Isn't it scheduled for an update for 2009?

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 04:04 PM   #46
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Hatchbacks are almost always smaller than sedans of the same model. The Ford Focus is under 170" long in hatchback form but above 175" as a sedan.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 04:05 PM   #47
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy
Saturn is SO becomeing the next Oldsmobile, and getting away from the old GEO brand. Saturn was pretty much the GEO replacement. The original SC and the GEO Storm look a lot alike. GEO was the cheap, entry level brand below Chevy, for GM. Saturn WAS the cheap entry level brand below Chevy, but the doors didn't dent. Now you can get the VUE dressed up with a chrome package, the Relay starts with a base price above the Uplander (and I've heard the SV6 does too, but I'm not sure). Olds used to be all dressed up with chrome, and was the test bed for new technologies for GM. And who is getting the first GM Hybrid? (The Silverado doesn't count) Saturn is quickly filling the strangely shaped hole left by Oldsmobile, and it has successfully carried on from GEO, without suffering the same pathetic fate, at least not yet.
No, GEO had nothing to do with Saturn in the corporate planning. Geo was to be a specifically foreign cars based brand. None of those cars were built by GM [except the collaborative Prizm with Toyota] but rebadges of Suzuki and Isuzu products.The problem was that no one bought charade of GEO being a GM division or that it even mattered in the hierarchy. It was a sub brand FOR Chevrolet, with some of the badges even showing a little bow tie in the center. GEO was something Japanese for Chevy to sell since they couldn't or wouldn't design a decent small car for themselves. The business model was QUITE different from Saturn.
The hope was that people would go on to Olds FROM Saturn. Olds even studied the way Saturn did business in the early years.
The SC looks like the Storm and the 95-up Cavalier 2 door. They have the same elements, but the SL is a dead ringer for the Cutlass Supreme GM10 with the wrap around rear window and general styling

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 04:09 PM   #48
HJ92126
HJ92126 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XE

The Opel web site sure makes this look like a really nice car. One can only hope that the bean counters at GM dont "dumb up" this car too much. From a business viewpoint GM should bring this in, then if it takes off maybe build them here later. The only bad part is that this goes aginst the phillosophy of Saturn in the first place. GM will win some fans and loose some.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HJ92126's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HJ92126 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HJ92126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 04:15 PM   #49
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

1st gen SC/SC2:

1985 Buick Wildcat concept:

I've thought for some time now that there is a strong resemblance between these cars' styling.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 06:05 PM   #50
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

At this point I have to say I don't care. I have no objection to them doing it especially if it is the only way Saturn keeps a small car in its line-up. At the same time I will also say I won't buy one just because it wears a Saturn label. The car needs to be reliable, meet my driving needs and most importantly be priced right for me to buy one. I'll judge that only after I know more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 06:09 PM   #51
Cap138
Cap138 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:

I'll take that one too

They've been teasing us with the possibility of the Astra as a Saturn for three years now!
I wish we had a concrete answer if this is going to happen or not.
And I don't want to wait another three years

2008 Astra 5-dr XR
black sapphire, manual
leather, sport, sunroof, adv audio
2000 SL1
2003 Ion3

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cap138's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cap138 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cap138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 07:41 PM   #52
alohadee
alohadee is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line

This Convertible roadster is nice...
http://www.motorhuis.nl/personenautos/opel/nieuws/2490/

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ~OpelAstra.jpg (23.7 KB, 10 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alohadee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alohadee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alohadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 07:44 PM   #53
CarNut
Advanced Member
CarNut is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line

I wouldn't buy one for the same reason I didn't buy a Catera. I knew they'd follow in Merkur's footsteps. They were great to drive but the resale value and long term viablity are horrible. Ebay has lots of them very cheap with bad engines.

Oh, and Astra is too close to Astre which was a Pontiac version of the Vega.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CarNut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CarNut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:14 PM   #54
JDRedline
Advanced Member
JDRedline is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line

Quote:
Here's some specs comparing the Astra with the Ion QC:

Length - QC:185 / Astra: 169 (BTW, that's only 8 inches front and rear difference, which is nothing)
Wheelbase - QC: 103 / Astra: 102
Width - QC:67.9 / Astra: 68
Height - QC: 56 / Astra: 56
Track f/r QC:58.8/58.4 / Astra: 58/57.6

Interior:

Legroom f/r QC:42/32 / Astra:42/33.7
Headroom f/r QC: 38.9/36.5 / Astra: 37.8/37
Shoulder room f/r QC:54/51 / Astra: 52/43

Seems pretty darn close to me. ....
Saturn_69, you forgot one important detail: Europe uses the metric system.

So the QC measurements are in inches and the Astra's are in centimeters.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JDRedline's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JDRedline reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JDRedline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:17 PM   #55
JDRedline
Advanced Member
JDRedline is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line

Quote:
Here's some specs comparing the Astra with the Ion QC:

Length - QC:185 / Astra: 169 (BTW, that's only 8 inches front and rear difference, which is nothing)

But seriously, check your numbers: Only 8 inches difference?

I'm seeing over a foot's difference.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JDRedline's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JDRedline reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JDRedline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:22 PM   #56
haypops
haypops is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNut

Oh, and Astra is too close to Astre which was a Pontiac version of the Vega.
And Astro (long lived/dependable Chevy mini van) is just as close to Astra as is Astre!!

I have just joined in on the most silly post ever.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to haypops's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help haypops reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
haypops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:06 PM   #57
CarNut
Advanced Member
CarNut is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by haypops
And Astro (long lived/dependable Chevy mini van) is just as close to Astra as is Astre!!.
How could I forget that one??? Now, its definitely too similar to other GM names. How about the NARO (Not Another Rebadged Opel).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CarNut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CarNut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:08 PM   #58
chris stewart
chris stewart is on a distinguished road

1993 SL
2002 VUE 2.2L
Wrench Re: Should GM Import the Opel Astra from Europe as Saturn's Next Small Car?

personally the real issue should be plastic or steel. i don't know about you guys but the car company is different mostly because of the thermoplastic -- u no -- no rust, easy to replace and a reliable car. am i wrong.?!!!!!!!!:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chris stewart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chris stewart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chris stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:26 PM   #59
sincitysl2
sincitysl2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

I am not a huge hatchback fan, but it's not completely ugly. It would be nice if they brought the design to the States and put some of the thousands of out of work auto workers back to works instead of fueling the economies of foriegn countries.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sincitysl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sincitysl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sincitysl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:40 PM   #60
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

Thanks for that...TEASE. When can I get one here in the US?

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote