SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Polls and Questions
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should GM Import the Opel Astra from Europe as Saturn's Next Small Car?
Yes! 81 63.78%
No Way! 32 25.20%
I Don't Care... 14 11.02%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2006, 12:31 AM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Should GM Import the Opel Astra from Europe as Saturn's Next Small Car?

Should GM import the Opel Astra from Europe as Saturn's next small car?

Quote:
The Beacon Journal reports that General Motors will build a new Pontiac small car, not the rumored Saturn ION replacement, at GM's Lordstowns, Ohio manufacturing facility. GM made the announcement at the 2006 National Automobile Dealers Association annual meeting in Orlando, Florida earlier this week. Incidentally, sources tell SaturnFans.com – and a search of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office's website confirms – that Saturn has registered the name 'Astra' with the organization. Astra is the name of the Opel small car sold in Europe. GM executives have gone on record saying that Saturn and Opel will collaborate on new models. Saturn will ship a version of its SKY roadster to Europe as the Opel GT beginning next year. Will GM import the Astra to the United States as the ION replacement? Perhaps. Such a move would give Saturn almost instant access to a new small car, and it would circumvent any North American production issues. Currently only Lordstown and Spring Hill are configured to build GM Delta-based vehicles in the United States; the Spring Hill line is scheduled to be shut down and retooled at the end of this year.

Click here for the full story.
Post your thoughts.

Thanks,
Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2006, 08:03 AM   #2
05vueblue
05vueblue is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
Default Re: Should GM Import the Opel Astra from Europe as Saturn's Next Small Car?

I think it would be a cool car for some. I wouldn't want such a small car, but would be nice if they bring the diesel in it, could compete with the golf TD.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 05vueblue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 05vueblue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
05vueblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:40 AM   #3
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Should GM Import the Opel Astra from Europe as Saturn's Next Small Car?

Given a choice between the nest Small Saturn being a rebadged Chevy or Pontiac or a rebadged Opel. Give me the Opel. My first car was a 70' Opel GT. I still miss that car. I too would like to see a diesel option in a small 4 door sedan.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:48 AM   #4
saturnd00d
saturnd00d will become famous soon enough

2008 VUE 2.4L

They should definitely bring it over. It'll quickly become one of the best sellers if they keep the looks and build quality on par with Opel's version.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnd00d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnd00d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnd00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:52 AM   #5
saturncanuck
saturncanuck is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2006 ION-3 Sedan

I don't have a problem with it -- the Astra is way cool.

It may p*ss off a few UAW peeps, though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturncanuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturncanuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturncanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:55 AM   #6
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

I say bring it on....in 3dr and 5dr only to further differentiate it from other more mainstream GM models. I think the Astra is absolutely beautiful, and it already has the "Euro-flavor" baked right in. Just don't detune it or soften the suspension, it's German, let it stay that way. No more dumbing down for American tastes. It's just like the BMW, Mercedes and VW cars....if you don't 'get it', you never will.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:57 AM   #7
cyclingplatypus
cyclingplatypus is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan

I say yes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cyclingplatypus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cyclingplatypus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cyclingplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:02 AM   #8
Patrick_97SC2
Advanced Member
Patrick_97SC2 is on a distinguished road

I say build it in America and not import it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Patrick_97SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Patrick_97SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Patrick_97SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:03 AM   #9
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

As a vehicle, yes. One sharp car.
What most people don't know that Opel's reputation for quality is not all that buena in Europe.

But I would like to see it built here in the US.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:08 AM   #10
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

What are they gonna call it the Saturn VIBE?

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:09 AM   #11
JDRedline
Advanced Member
JDRedline is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line

Sorry, I don't like hatchbacks.

Show me a coupe version and then I'd consider it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JDRedline's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JDRedline reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JDRedline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:17 AM   #12
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy
What are they gonna call it the Saturn VIBE?
Huh? It's a hatchback, not a baby SUV. It looks nothing like the Vibe. Oh, wait, it does have 4 wheels...yep, it's a Vibe clone....NOT. hehehe

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-16-2006, 10:19 AM   #13
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkle bik
As a vehicle, yes. One sharp car.
What most people don't know that Opel's reputation for quality is not all that buena in Europe.

But I would like to see it built here in the US.
Apparently, Opel has improved quality a great deal. They sell every Astra they make, and it's gotten some great reviews.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-16-2006, 10:23 AM   #14
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_97SC2
I say build it in America and not import it.
Mmmmmm....can't yet. It isn't built on the Delta platform so it can't go to Springhill or to Lordstown or that place in Mexico they build the HHR. But....aren't they shutting down the Springhill plant to retool? And isn't that retooling taking place shortly before the new Delta based Opel Astra debuts in Europe in 2008? Could it be? Oh...the signs point to maybe it will be built in Springhill, after the retooling...perhaps? Let's hope so, I mean after all, the Opel GT is being built in the Sky/Solstice plant and sent overseas.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-16-2006, 10:24 AM   #15
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

I'm in favor of it--Saturn could really benefit from the Astra. I'd love the diesel option, too, but I think new diesel emissions regs will prohibit the diesel from our shores. Too bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:41 AM   #16
gkl
gkl is on a distinguished road

Opel Astra would become the smallest Saturn ever. Only 169 inches long. 3dr/5dr, just a bit shorter than the Matrix/Vibe so it will compete directly with them and the Subaru Impreza/Saab 9-3x. And the Optra hatch.

It may be good for small/young/single people on a budget, but it is no Ion replacement. With no Ion, there will be a pretty large gap between Astra and Aura.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gkl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gkl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:46 AM   #17
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn_69
Huh? It's a hatchback, not a baby SUV. It looks nothing like the Vibe. Oh, wait, it does have 4 wheels...yep, it's a Vibe clone....NOT. hehehe
OK, it looks like a Mazda3 rear ended a VIBE. I just don't like hatchbacks.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-16-2006, 10:49 AM   #18
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkl
Opel Astra would become the smallest Saturn ever. Only 169 inches long. 3dr/5dr, just a bit shorter than the Matrix/Vibe so it will compete directly with them and the Subaru Impreza/Saab 9-3x. And the Optra hatch.

It may be good for small/young/single people on a budget, but it is no Ion replacement. With no Ion, there will be a pretty large gap between Astra and Aura.
HA! see, Vibe competition.
What about the Dodge Caliber? Along the same lines it looks like.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Old 02-16-2006, 10:59 AM   #19
Galileo
Master Member
Galileo is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
Default Yes!

I have a friend that likes to travel in Europe and i thought i'd share her remarks to this speculative information:

"Brian

You see the opel Astra everywhere in Europe…. I would love a small car like this just to drive back and forth to work!"

(She drives a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix and her daily work commute is about 30 - 40 miles each way)

Personally, i like it enough to say yes, go ahead, GM! Like Wolfman said, i'd rather see Saturn with a unique product than an obvious Chevy Cobalt clone.

Beautiful People First~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Galileo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Galileo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Galileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 11:15 AM   #20
jentzsch23
Advanced Member
jentzsch23 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: Yes!

Not sure exactly what kind of car the Asra is. Im sure if I can find some infor on the kind of car, I might be better able to five my feedback. I will do some digging and if anyone has some info on this car, let me know. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jentzsch23's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jentzsch23 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jentzsch23 is offline   Reply With Quote