SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 02-15-2006, 10:20 PM   #1
kb96sc2
kb96sc2 is on a distinguished road

Default saturn sc2 dash lights

i have no idea exactly what they mean but i have 2 lights that sometimes flash like above my temp gauge. one looks like the temp thing and the other looks like a bottle with a down arrow on it
anyone have a clue or a book to help me my car does not run hot?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kb96sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kb96sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kb96sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2006, 10:51 PM   #2
DarrylLeeOHS30
Advanced Member
DarrylLeeOHS30 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
2001 SL2
Default Re: saturn sc2 dash lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb96sc2
i have no idea exactly what they mean but i have 2 lights that sometimes flash like above my temp gauge. one looks like the temp thing and the other looks like a bottle with a down arrow on it
That's the low coolant light. You should add some antifreeze (50/50 mix of coolant to water) that should take it away.

-Darryl

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DarrylLeeOHS30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DarrylLeeOHS30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DarrylLeeOHS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:56 PM   #3
kb96sc2
kb96sc2 is on a distinguished road

ok ty. do you by chance know where the knock sensor is on the sc2's? the car starts to make an annoying noise between 1800-2500 rpm's i had the cat changed out thinking it was exhaust noise and still there. all my lifter and rods seem to be fine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kb96sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kb96sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kb96sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:33 PM   #4
DarrylLeeOHS30
Advanced Member
DarrylLeeOHS30 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
2001 SL2

Quote:
ok ty. do you by chance know where the knock sensor is on the sc2's? the car starts to make an annoying noise between 1800-2500 rpm's i had the cat changed out thinking it was exhaust noise and still there. all my lifter and rods seem to be fine
nope, i dont know about that one, sorry. but what year is your sc2? if its a PRE-2001, you'll need to replace the ECTS. They are made out of plastic (before 2001 year model) and crack and cause a bunch of problems.

edit: judging from your name, a 96. you'll need to do the ECTS if you haven't already.

-Darryl

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DarrylLeeOHS30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DarrylLeeOHS30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DarrylLeeOHS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:48 PM   #5
dansl2
Advanced Member
dansl2 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Although that's a good suggestion to change out your ECTS, it probably isn't the cause if your noise. Are you running platinum plugs? That could do it, most Saturns just don't like platinums. If so, replace them with NGK's (highly recommended, as they are OEM) or some AC Delcos. Not sure of knock sensor location, but if you start another thread with that question, someone will be able to point it out. Or you could try a search first.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dansl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dansl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dansl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 06:00 AM   #6
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

You don't mention what kind of transmission you have but that flashy light thing can be caused by the TTS (Transmission Temperature Sensor autos only) getting a completely different reading than the ECTS (Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor). If you've never changed the ECTS, that's probably the problem.

The knock sensor can be seen from underneath the car. It's on the passenger side a little up and to the right of the oil pressure sender. However, I doubt very seriously that it's the cause of your noise.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:39 AM   #7
DTDSasquatch
Advanced Member
DTDSasquatch is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2

Why would you guys recommend replacing parts based only on the description of...

Quote:
...an annoying noise between 1800-2500 rpm's i had the cat changed out thinking it was exhaust noise and still there. all my lifter and rods seem to be fine

Could you describe the noise in better detail?

Internet message boards: The demise of the English language.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DTDSasquatch's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DTDSasquatch reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DTDSasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:56 AM   #8
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTDSasquatch
Why would you guys recommend replacing parts based only on the description of...
I don't believe I did. I recommended replacing the ECTS based on...

Quote:
I also said I doubted the knock sensor was related to...

Quote:
No parts recommendations for that at all.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote