SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 02-06-2006, 08:38 PM   #1
Pioneer_Saturn
Advanced Member
Pioneer_Saturn is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Thumbs Up Can I lubricate window crank?

I drive a 97 SL2 with manual windows. My drivers side hand crank is quite hard to turn...but doable. I was wondering if I could simply apply some lubricant to the levers/joints n' such inside the door panel to ease the strain of simply opening the window.

Also, I have taken the door panels off multiple times each to install my Pioneer speakers (you called it) and many of the plastic hooks that hold the door panel to the body (I guess youd call it) of the door have broken off and I was wondering how much 2 new door panels for a 97 SL2 would cost....

Thanks,
-Pioneer_Saturn

First and only dual-alternator Saturn

"Louder than your Saturn on music or your money back!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pioneer_Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pioneer_Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pioneer_Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2006, 09:57 PM   #2
acr2001
acr2001 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Can I lubricate window crank?

Theres a thread on automatic windows that have a hard time moving up and down. Wolfman says to spray a silicone lube into the window track. do a search for ' window track spray' and youll probably find it.

I would think you could use the same proceedure for your manual windows. Easier on the hand rather than the motor.

- 1993 SL1 Auto 100,000+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to acr2001's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help acr2001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
acr2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:56 AM   #3
lamont4689
lamont4689 is on a distinguished road

1994 SW2

as for the plastic clips
i bought mine at Advance auto, Napa has them too ,AutoZone probaably does too.
rich

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lamont4689's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lamont4689 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lamont4689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:11 AM   #4
cazzylee
Advanced Member
cazzylee is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer_Saturn
I drive a 97 SL2 with manual windows. My drivers side hand crank is quite hard to turn...but doable. I was wondering if I could simply apply some lubricant to the levers/joints n' such inside the door panel to ease the strain of simply opening the window.

Also, I have taken the door panels off multiple times each to install my Pioneer speakers (you called it) and many of the plastic hooks that hold the door panel to the body (I guess youd call it) of the door have broken off and I was wondering how much 2 new door panels for a 97 SL2 would cost....

Thanks,
-Pioneer_Saturn

Try using a silicone spray. Use the little plastic nozzle thingy so you don't overspray too much, lube up along the track too. It'll make the window much easier to deal with. Don't bother getting new panels, just replace the plastic clips.

Madness takes it's toll: Please have exact change.
SES light + unplugged sensor = testicle ownage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cazzylee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cazzylee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cazzylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:53 AM   #5
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer_Saturn

Thanks,
-Pioneer_Saturn
My 99 SL1 is a real bear to crank down also, goes up fine though. Try wetting the window with soapy water (inside and out) and see if that helps. If it does, you have the same problem I do. The window seal is binding on the window as it goes down. There is not a problem with the crank mechanisim. Keeping your glass clean, and using a rubber conditioner on the outside of the gasket may help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alleninpa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alleninpa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alleninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:10 AM   #6
wrenchtnr
wrenchtnr is on a distinguished road

1992 SL

My 92 with manual windows had the same problem. I took off the door skin, found the lubericant had squeezed out and gotten hard and dirty. I cleaned it up with wd40 or similar product and re-lubed it. Works fine now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wrenchtnr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wrenchtnr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wrenchtnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:42 PM   #7
SATURNER
SATURNER is on a distinguished road

I also performed wolfman's silicone spray lube, was only partly successful. After this I inserted the tube from an oilcan between the window seals, using a flashlight for visibility. After oiling the crank mechanism, the window operates much easier.

Hang up and Drive

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SATURNER's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SATURNER reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SATURNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:22 PM   #8
Pioneer_Saturn
Advanced Member
Pioneer_Saturn is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Wrench Re: Can I lubricate window crank?

Thanks for the replies...I'll try those methods to lubricate. But the clips on the door panels are actually part of the door panel...you cant simply replace them....any idea what to do or the price of 2 new door panels? Thanks

-Pioneer~Saturn

First and only dual-alternator Saturn

"Louder than your Saturn on music or your money back!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pioneer_Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pioneer_Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pioneer_Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote