SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2006, 10:32 PM   #1
bobke1
bobke1 is on a distinguished road

Default Quill Bearing?

Has anyone ever heard of a quill bearing? Had my SL2 into the dealer for a new clutch (WAY overpriced-but had no option). During the installation, they replaced the throw out(?) bearing, said it looked like it had been hitting or touching the quill bearing, loosened it slightly, and suggested replacing it at $450. Mechanic said he'd never seen it happen before. Sounded like a rip-off. Any thoughts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobke1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobke1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2006, 10:41 PM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Quill Bearing?

Replacing the quill bearing requires removing and disassembling the transaxle as the bearing must be PRESSED into the bellhousing end of the transaxle. I personally do not see how the throwout bearing could make contact with the cone shaped seal housing, unless the throwout bearing was in horrible shape when it was replaced. My bottom line on the quill bearing seal is that if it is not currently LEAKING, leave it be. IF however, it IS leaking, then YES, it MUST be replaced or it will contaminate the new clutch disk causing the new clutch to fail.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:42 PM   #3
inski
inski is on a distinguished road

The quill bearing is actually the bearing and seal that the tranny input shaft goes thru on the bell side of the trans. I have seen a few go bad at my shop. More common with 97-2002 S-cars. Its obvious when they go bad, fluid leaks out into the bell housing area and sometimes saturates the clutch. Yes, it involves disassembling the trans case.

The problem isn't the clutch hitting the quill bearing, its the quill seal just leaks, usually. If your clutch broke apart or came loose it is possible it was hit, but usually they just leak thru the seal.

-Blue 06Vue v6 awd.
-95VW Rally-xer, built for sweet jumps.
-89 VW Cabriolet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to inski's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help inski reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
inski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 11:29 PM   #4
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobke1
Has anyone ever heard of a quill bearing?
The quill bearing is in the large black hole on the middle right of the picture below (where the input shaft sits)...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Razorbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:30 PM   #5
bobke1
bobke1 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice. Wolfman, as in many of your posts that I have read, you seem to have hit the matter right on the head. The info you gave was almost exactly what they told me. They did say the throwout bearing was in bad shape, but the quill bearing was not leaking, so I decided not to replace it. Hope it works! Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobke1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobke1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobke1 is offline   Reply With Quote