SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2006, 11:22 AM   #1
cpformula
cpformula is on a distinguished road

Default Auto Dim/Compass Rear View Mirror Question

Where does the wiring from the mirror connect inside the 06 Saturn Ion Quad Coupe? The photo shows the back of the mirror with the pigtail connector.... where does the other end plug in?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mirror.JPG (64.4 KB, 62 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cpformula's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cpformula reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cpformula is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2006, 06:38 PM   #2
Eco-Mod
Eco-Mod is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: Auto Dim/Compass Rear View Mirror Question

It plugs in up above the headliner. If your vehicle was not originally equipped with the mirror, extra wiring will be required as will a BCM reflash.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Eco-Mod's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Eco-Mod reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Eco-Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 08:12 PM   #3
cpformula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco-Mod
It plugs in up above the headliner. If your vehicle was not originally equipped with the mirror, extra wiring will be required as will a BCM reflash.
Have you added this or know someone who has? I'm wondering how difficult it is to add.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cpformula reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2006, 11:16 PM   #4
CarNut
Advanced Member
CarNut is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line

Believe it or not, the harness only comes with the headliner (it's glued on). The headliner is specific to the vehicle options and is over $300. Then that only gets you to the C-pillar area. I'm not sure if the wires are there for the temp sensor on a regular ION. They are not with a Redline. You might as well plan on all custom harness. I don't believe there is any link to the BCM though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CarNut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CarNut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 05:06 AM   #5
ujm4ever
ujm4ever is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNut
Believe it or not, the harness only comes with the headliner (it's glued on). The headliner is specific to the vehicle options and is over $300. Then that only gets you to the C-pillar area. I'm not sure if the wires are there for the temp sensor on a regular ION. They are not with a Redline. You might as well plan on all custom harness. I don't believe there is any link to the BCM though.
When I purchased my first 04 Ion it did not have the auto dimming mirror. Part of the purchasing agreement for the car was that the dealer had agreed to install the auto dimming mirror for the dealer cost of the mirror and I think $45 labor. It was fairly cheap. I took the car that day and made an appointment to have the mirror installed, but it never happened. That Ion stranded me on its very first day (pass key problem) so I turned it in and took my second choice vehicle off the lot that had the mirror factory installed.

A couple of side notes regarding these mirrors. The one in our 02 Vue had to be replaced one replaced once, it got very hot one day and died. Then on another occasion, after a sever electrical storm in which our house took a surge, neither vehicles mirror compass worked. Both vehicles were parked in the garage at the time, Recalibrating via the owners manual instruction did not help. The dealer did not have to replace them but they did have to reprogram something.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ujm4ever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ujm4ever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ujm4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 01:23 PM   #6
CarNut
Advanced Member

2004 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujm4ever
When I purchased my first 04 Ion it did not have the auto dimming mirror. Part of the purchasing agreement for the car was that the dealer had agreed to install the auto dimming mirror for the dealer cost of the mirror and I think $45 labor. ....
Recalibrating via the owners manual instruction did not help. The dealer did not have to replace them but they did have to reprogram something.
When I was researching the harness issue, my parts guy said the dealer sells aftermarket units for about $150 installed. I didn't investigate whether it duplicated all factory features since I already had a factory Ion mirror. I do know the factory mirror uses the backup lights voltage to disable it when you're in reverse. That was important to me since visibilty out the back of the QC is not that great as it is.
I've since bought the full manual and there is no mention of any procedures using the tech tool/BCM. The schematics do not show a data link. Perhaps they just reset the magnetic variation zone using the buttons on the mirror.
I will be adding the mirror eventually and will report the results. I won't get to it for a couple months though. I still need to locate some connectors/pins/pigtails for the wiring. They are VERY pricey from the dealer. I need to get to a junkyard.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help CarNut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-05-2006, 03:05 PM   #7
ujm4ever
ujm4ever is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I've since bought the full manual and there is no mention of any procedures using the tech tool/BCM. The schematics do not show a data link. Perhaps they just reset the magnetic variation zone using the buttons on the mirror.
I will be adding the mirror eventually and will report the results. I won't get to it for a couple months though. I still need to locate some connectors/pins/pigtails for the wiring. They are VERY pricey from the dealer. I need to get to a junkyard.
So I dug out my service order for the Ion's mirror repair and here is what it reads.
C1= Customer states the compass does not work. Customer has tried resetting to zone 11 several times but it always reads "N".
C2= Check operation. Recalibrate Compass Per Bulletin #03-08-48-003
Repair Code 1 Mirror/Compass - Replace.

So the service manager told me that it was recalibrated, I think this repair order indicates that they tried to recalibrate it but that it was replaced. Sorry for the confusion. Despite the several trips back to the dealers for problems with these mirrors I still think they are worth every dime. Good luck with your project.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ujm4ever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ujm4ever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ujm4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:23 AM   #8
cpformula

Quote:
When I was researching the harness issue, my parts guy said the dealer sells aftermarket units for about $150 installed. I didn't investigate whether it duplicated all factory features since I already had a factory Ion mirror. I do know the factory mirror uses the backup lights voltage to disable it when you're in reverse. That was important to me since visibilty out the back of the QC is not that great as it is.
Can you verify where the wire connects from the back of the mirror?

From what I am hearing, there is a wire from the mirror that is above the headliner. Where does THAT wire connect?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-10-2006, 08:10 AM   #9
fudgie
fudgie is on a distinguished road

I had the headliner down when replacing a sunroof in a Vue. The line connects to the back of the mirror, runs from front to back and runs down the driver side back where it has another plug.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fudgie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fudgie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:28 PM   #10
cpformula

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgie
I had the headliner down when replacing a sunroof in a Vue. The line connects to the back of the mirror, runs from front to back and runs down the driver side back where it has another plug.
Anyone know where it connects in a quad coupe?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-10-2006, 11:58 PM   #11
CarNut
Advanced Member

2004 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpformula
Anyone know where it connects in a quad coupe?
Same as Vue. There is a plug at the back corner of the headliner on the drivers side. You can get to it by removing the plastic trim on the side. There's one screw under the plug and a couple push in clips. But like I said before, I don't think you'll find any wires running up to the mirror area.

The mirror uses accesory power, ground, backup lights (to disable it when in reverse), and 2 temp leads. Onstar adds more signals. On my Redline the backup light and accesory power wires run up to the connector at the back of the headliner but are not continued on the headliner side. The temp sensor wires are not there at all.
The colors are as follows:
accesory power - yellow
backup signal - light green
ground - black
temp sensor - light green/black (if it was there)
temp sensor low - gray/black (if it was there)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-12-2006, 02:09 AM   #12
cpformula

Quote:
Same as Vue. There is a plug at the back corner of the headliner on the drivers side. You can get to it by removing the plastic trim on the side. There's one screw under the plug and a couple push in clips. But like I said before, I don't think you'll find any wires running up to the mirror area.

The mirror uses accesory power, ground, backup lights (to disable it when in reverse), and 2 temp leads. Onstar adds more signals. On my Redline the backup light and accesory power wires run up to the connector at the back of the headliner but are not continued on the headliner side. The temp sensor wires are not there at all.
The colors are as follows:
accesory power - yellow
backup signal - light green
ground - black
temp sensor - light green/black (if it was there)
temp sensor low - gray/black (if it was there)
Sorry if these are repetitive questions....
The wires that connect to the ones above the headliner.... do these wires just plug into one place or do they run to separate areas in the car? Not sure that question makes sense (sleep deprived).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!