SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2014, 05:24 PM   #81
djjsc
djjsc is a jewel in the roughdjjsc is a jewel in the roughdjjsc is a jewel in the roughdjjsc is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL1
1998 SW2
Default Why does everyone hate FRAM oil filters here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by satlite440 View Post
I wrench better than I spell
Still, I'm most happy you're NOT my mechanic.

Quote:
and that's all that counts
Not in the least!!! Begs the Q: How can anyone w/ such dismal communication skills learn anything? All learning starts & ends w/ language; both verbal AND WRITTEN. Poor communication is strong evidence of your mechanical skills as well. At the VERY LEAST, use a spell check; in fact my computer has one built in. I've read your babble 6 times; what you're trying to say still eludes me. As CaffeinatdOne stated; "Learn to communicate."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djjsc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djjsc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djjsc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2014, 09:16 PM   #82
kitt23
kitt23 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Why does everyone hate FRAM oil filters here?

hi new here. i used to be fram fanatic until i saw youtube clips on people cutting open each brand oil filter. i will not use anything other then wix now

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kitt23's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kitt23 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kitt23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:14 PM   #83
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
I wrench better than I spell
I'm fully certain that what you're saying is true. (This isn't sarcastic and there are no aspersions meant by it either.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djjsc View Post
Still, I'm most happy you're NOT my mechanic.
I understand this sentiment as I, too, prefer to have a mechanic who can spell. My father was just such a person as a master mechanic for about twenty years who ran his own business. The two abilities are by no means mutually exclusive.
Quote:
and that's all that counts...
You're right, especially in this case, because you don't run your own business. Someone else is doing the communication for you. If you were the one upon whom all others depended in your own business then your view of this type of communication might matter more to you. Now to be clear, this is not a fault on your behalf nor am I trying to suggest any such thing. Merely that from another perspective the issue might be seen quite differently. It's great that the dealership you're working for obviously values you abilities and they should. I wish you continued success in all of your work!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djjsc View Post
Not in the least!!! Begs the Q: How can anyone w/ such dismal communication skills learn anything? All learning starts & ends w/ language; both verbal AND WRITTEN. Poor communication is strong evidence of your mechanical skills as well. At the VERY LEAST, use a spell check; in fact my computer has one built in. I've read your babble 6 times; what you're trying to say still eludes me. As CaffeinatdOne stated; "Learn to communicate."
It is possible for individuals who don't have good writing skills and are weak in communication to nevertheless have a good acumen for mechanical repair work. I worked around such people at the last independent repair garage I was employed by over seventeen years ago. These men were top notch and I would've trusted them with any repair on my car. I also enjoyed working with them and having casual or serious conversations. Only one of these men had run his own business and yes, had a good ability to communicate although he was a terrible speller. As for the others, if they were running their own businesses I think the communication issue would've been a source of stress that most of them would not have dealt well with.

Satlite440, did you once own a Plymouth Satellite with a 440?

275,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:56 PM   #84
boatmoter
boatmoter is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

the experience I have with fram, had a 87 small ford ranger,had a 5.0 small blk in it, hi volume oil pump.. the fram filters can't handle the hi pressure or hi volume, my oil pressure would go way down after 500-600 miles on the oil change, removed oil filter and it was heavy bout 3 times heavier than out of box, inside of engine is spotless, does same thing with my 2000 Neon, I moved to Puralator filters and what a difference, did not have anymore problems with the ranger and still don't have anymore problems with the Neon, Neon has 25000 miles on it since I rebuilt it, it's spotless inside too, Fram used to be a real good oil filter, one of the top best.. I don't know what they changed but it was for the worse.. the puralator filters are bout the same money too

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to boatmoter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help boatmoter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
boatmoter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:05 PM   #85
OldGuy43
OldGuy43 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatmoter View Post
the experience I have with fram, had a 87 small ford ranger,had a 5.0 small blk in it, hi volume oil pump.. the fram filters can't handle the hi pressure or hi volume, my oil pressure would go way down after 500-600 miles on the oil change, removed oil filter and it was heavy bout 3 times heavier than out of box, inside of engine is spotless, does same thing with my 2000 Neon, I moved to Puralator filters and what a difference, did not have anymore problems with the ranger and still don't have anymore problems with the Neon, Neon has 25000 miles on it since I rebuilt it, it's spotless inside too, Fram used to be a real good oil filter, one of the top best.. I don't know what they changed but it was for the worse.. the puralator filters are bout the same money too
In my younger days I was involved in SCCA auto racing, both amateur and professional. I never saw any brand of filter fail.

Sidebar:
High pressure pumps are not a great idea unless you are using a dry sump system. They cause the oil to foam. Foam doesn't pump well and lubricates even less.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldGuy43's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldGuy43 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldGuy43 is offline   Reply With Quote