SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2011, 07:34 PM   #61
EricF
EricF is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Why does everyone hate FRAM oil filters here?

to answer a few questions..
the mercedes that was $85k.. it was a cardboard filter because it's a cartridge filter. It has no casing and construction of it is basic at best, and.. there isn't any "science" that would go into it.
Wix does not make Supertech. Champion Labs makes the E-Core design for Supertech.. the E-Core isn't a bad design, although they use a plastic insert vs.a metal for the center support.
AC Delco is NOT made by AC Delco. Currently as of May 10, 2011, Champion Labs is still making filters for AC Delco using their E-Core design.
Wix WAS making filters for AC Delco for a while, but as most know.. AC Delco is a reboxer.. like Napa.. they make nothing. They simply put their name on stuff.
Fram's popularity is due to marketing and low cost in the big box stores.
Bigger isn't always better.

Fram's canister filters are of a weaker design.
For instance, take a Fram filter, a PH8A. Goto an autoparts store and pickup a motorcraft (Purolator built). and try to put a dent in the can. I bet a dollar you can do it in the fram, but not the motorcraft.
Right there proves quality on the spot.
Cut a fram open and you'll see 2 carboard endplates that are glued to the filtering media.
Count the pleats of the media then of the motorcraft. there'll be at least a dozen more pleasts on the motorcraft.
the tough guard is a tad better built, but still uses cardboard endplates.
the Extended guard is actually a filter I would use if I had to.
However as quality of the extended guard is good, fram itself as cheapened out.. so there's no reason for me to ever use them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EricF's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EricF reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2011, 07:40 PM   #62
Growser
Advanced Member
Growser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2000 SL1

I posted pictures awhile back on Fram transmission filters - here's the link http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...mission+filter

7 Saturn Car Family with + 900,000 miles.
2002 SL2, 2000 SL1, 1997 SC2, 1997 SC1, 1996 SC1, 1994 SC2, and now a 93 SC2 project car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Growser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Growser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Growser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:58 AM   #63
motorking
motorking is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS593 View Post
Fram filters are made of carbboard, no more, they deterriorate faster then any other filter out tehre, why do you think they are so cheap? My motomaster filter has a longere life expectancy then a FRAM.
Dude,
I am the technical manager at Fram. Your motormaster filter IS a Fram filter. You are very misinformed and you misspelleed cardboard. Our end caps are made of an engineered fiber, similar the media itself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to motorking's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help motorking reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
motorking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:39 AM   #64
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

The reality is, your FRAM products are taking a pretty bad hit on several forums and filter review that I have read. I actually have a FRAM filter on one of by cars right now, and feel like I made a poor choice on that purchase. The public opinion of your products IS reality that FRAM needs to deal with.

Calling people stupid on forums like this does nothing to build credability for your brand or company. (assuming you are legit)

How about some DATA to support or defend your product?
(Keep in mind that I AM a current FRAM consumer)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:54 AM   #65
motorking

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathman View Post
one reason that fram oil filters are hated is because they have a tendency to come apart. working at saturn of s. blvd. in charlotte, i haven't heard anything from the other techs there, but when i was at uti, i learned how some oil filters were made and how they hold up to racing. oil filters have paper or fiber fillaments held in with various techniques. They can be anything from a tight perforated metal shield or metal rings or even glue. the problem people have is that the fram filter and other cheap filters are held together with glue and the fillament is just a bunch of folded over sheets of perforated paper and they tend to come apart.
Deathman,
I am the Technical Training Manager for Fram Filters. Your comments are so far off base it is almost funny. Who says Fram filters "have a tendency to come apart"? The internet? Pure tribal knowledge. Fram is the largest supplier of racing filters in the world.
If UTI teaches that our method of construction is poor, I would like to invite your misinformed instructor to our labs to show how we test and validate the design.
We are OE on American Hondas, just won an award from them for 13 million perfect filters last year
We are OE on American Subaru, a brand with stellar reliability and engine performance.
We are OE on Mack trucks, the only HD trucks witha million mile warranty.
AC Delco uses fiber/felt end caps, do you see GM engines failing everywhere?
A 345,000 Bentley Arnage uses a 48$ oil filter with ...yep, fiber end caps.
The facts are this, our least expensive filter is the Extra Guard, it is 95% efficient
The Tough Guard is 99% efficient
The Extended Guard is a stainless steel screen wrapped with two layers of synthetic glass media, steel end caps and traps and holds 28 grams of dirt, suitable for 10,000 mile oil changes when used with synthetic oil, it does cost 8 bucks, or I should say it is 6 bucks less than K+N, Mobil 1 and Royal Purple or Amsoil filters, none of whom actually make their own filters.
Really think end caps are the big deal? Cut open a spin on 2010 Toyota oil filter. What? No end cap at all. Hmmm, must be Toyotas blowing up all over the place.
If you really want to undertsand filtration, go to the filter manufacturers website at fmc.com. Read engineering information, not some bs from dude cutting open filter in his garage.
June 1st framchallenge.com. Right now fram.com/proof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help motorking reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #66
motorking

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveeagle View Post
The reality is, your FRAM products are taking a pretty bad hit on several forums and filter review that I have read. I actually have a FRAM filter on one of by cars right now, and feel like I made a poor choice on that purchase. The public opinion of your products IS reality that FRAM needs to deal with.

Calling people stupid on forums like this does nothing to build credability for your brand or company. (assuming you are legit)

How about some DATA to support or defend your product?
(Keep in mind that I AM a current FRAM consumer)
I can assure you I am legitimate. I didnt call anyone stupid, merely suggested that repeating "I heard on the internet stuff" is bad practice. We do publish all of our efficiency ratings both right on the filter box and on our website. We only use ISO test standards when doing so. Many filter companies still use the outdated SAE test standards because they are easy to manipulate. Why? Because the old (obsolete in 2002) SAE standards do not specify the particle size of dirt used in the test. So a filter company can use large particles and claim 99+% efficiency.
I admit that we have ignored these "filter test" and "internet experts" for far too long. Some leaders of our company can be arrogant, thumping thier chests and saying, who cares, we are the number one filter company in the world. I say, I care, and most of the people in our engineering group care. And, most of all, I know that people who actually give a crap about taking care of thie cars really do care what kind of parts they are buying.
We invented the modern spin on oil filter. In fact, Fram was started by two textile engineers who looked at cars and said, we should use our knowledge of textiles and make oil filters so engines last longer. That was 80 years ago.
What bugs me are stories (like some in this forum) of claims that our filter di this or that and blew up engines, yet no pcitures, no claims to our warranty office, nothing. I was in a mitsubishsi forum recently, lots of guys bashing Fram. One guy claimed his buddys car burned to the ground because a Fram filter leaked oil on the turbo and started the car on fire. i offered to assist him in a claim, he said he didnt want to file a claim. He said he wa shappy to eat the total loss of the car. I pressed for details and pointed out that the oil filter and turbo are on opposite sides of the engine so I couldnt figure out how a leaking filter sprayed oil on the turbo? He dissapeared from the forum. That is what i mean, it has become very fashionabvloe to bash fram and well, we are tired of it. that is why we started the fram.com/proof website and why we are starting an educational filter series of videos that starts june 1st at framchallenge.com.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-19-2011, 12:36 PM   #67
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

Motorking,

That is some very good detail, and some fact based arguments. It was missing from your first post. ie:

I also work for a major consumer goods company and have been invloved in some pretty silly consumer complaints that made national headlines. I certainly understand how frustrating it can be to deal with misinformation.

I would just encourage you to keep the rhetoric very professional. The yahoos will eventually 'out' themselves.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:33 PM   #68
tehSaturn
tehSaturn will become famous soon enough

2001 SW2

I'm still rolling with a MotorCraft FL400S in my Saturn. No problems yet, and they're infinitely available @ my Wal-Mart for like $3.

2001 SW2: 60k Miles @ 8/11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tehSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tehSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tehSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:27 AM   #69
russ l
russ l is on a distinguished road

after calling Honeywell International/Fram Oil Filter three times in two weeks and left my number, they never called me back about a oil filter that sits loose on the shaft of a Honda bike, it now makes me wonder if that's why i had to rebuild the upper end of the Honda bike with only 20 k on the motor, its a sad day that Fram does not care about quality.. really makes me wonder about the lower end like crank bearings.

i finally got someone to talk to they wanted me to pay 4 shipping,and they said they would refund my $ if found the oil filter defective, it dont take a rocket science engineering degree to tell the filter falls off the shaft on this bike. lol

ps:this is the same year bike i have put on 100k on each bike, this is the 4th same year bike this happened to with low mileage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to russ l's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help russ l reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
russ l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:48 PM   #70
5891dlp
5891dlp is on a distinguished road

I dont think theres anything wrong with fram. Most people use it so it cant be that bad. I use acdelco but im pretty sure its the same filter material type.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 5891dlp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 5891dlp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
5891dlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:51 PM   #71
DawnR
DawnR is just really niceDawnR is just really niceDawnR is just really niceDawnR is just really nice

1997 SW2
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorking View Post
Dude,
and you misspelleed cardboard...........
That is mean and made me laugh out loud!

I read, I learn, I try!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DawnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DawnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DawnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:34 PM   #72
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Dude,
I am the technical manager at Fram. ...you misspelleed cardboard...
You spelled misspelled wrong , Fram man.

If you can't spell the word ,"misspell", what errors could you miss
in manufacturing oil filters( a somewhat more technical endeavor that aspiring spelling nazi?)

;More technical info may spell our worries.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:41 PM   #73
satlite440
satlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to behold

2001 SL2

Quote:
Deathman,
I am the Technical Training Manager for Fram Filters. Your comments are so far off base it is almost funny. Who says Fram filters "have a tendency to come apart"? The internet? Pure tribal knowledge. Fram is the largest supplier of racing filters in the world.
If UTI teaches that our method of construction is poor, I would like to invite your misinformed instructor to our labs to show how we test and validate the design.
We are OE on American Hondas, just won an award from them for 13 million perfect filters last year
We are OE on American Subaru, a brand with stellar reliability and engine performance.
We are OE on Mack trucks, the only HD trucks witha million mile warranty.
AC Delco uses fiber/felt end caps, do you see GM engines failing everywhere?
A 345,000 Bentley Arnage uses a 48$ oil filter with ...yep, fiber end caps.
The facts are this, our least expensive filter is the Extra Guard, it is 95% efficient
The Tough Guard is 99% efficient
The Extended Guard is a stainless steel screen wrapped with two layers of synthetic glass media, steel end caps and traps and holds 28 grams of dirt, suitable for 10,000 mile oil changes when used with synthetic oil, it does cost 8 bucks, or I should say it is 6 bucks less than K+N, Mobil 1 and Royal Purple or Amsoil filters, none of whom actually make their own filters.
Really think end caps are the big deal? Cut open a spin on 2010 Toyota oil filter. What? No end cap at all. Hmmm, must be Toyotas blowing up all over the place.
If you really want to undertsand filtration, go to the filter manufacturers website at fmc.com. Read engineering information, not some bs from dude cutting open filter in his garage.
June 1st framchallenge.com. Right now fram.com/proof

if you care to reply I am a dealer tech and I would like to knoe why almost every a/c delco oil filter for the 3.3Land 2.4L are partialy collapsed after only 3k and 60%side pleats collapsed after 5k.. and since the olm is set for 7500 on these most of the ones I see that are ac delco our supplyer for the dealer from gm.. the a/m ones are worse..seen them sucked down 1/2 inch in compression and yes that got an engine under warr for the timming chain oilers getting plugged up and stretching the chain so bad it broke the chain guides and the primary chain cut into the head and the block..24k on that one..and he did all 3 lof's with us...and that was an 09 gmc terrain 2.4L...oh and can you answer why ALL ac delco pf 58's and 42's were lock stock and barrel recalled from our shelfs and replaced.. they were from a cirtian lot # I can find the gm messenger # from my parts mgr on Monday...oh and yes my spelling sucks and evan better I don't give a rats ass..im a gm master cirtified engine trans tech,ase master tec and hybrid&volt&elr cirtified.. I wrench better than I spell and that's all that counts... if I wanted proper grammer I would have studied to be a secratery or a manager or got my English degree instead of one in power technology....plus im too last to down load ie spell...I can read and comprehend complex hybrid electrical diagnostics and use the meter and the j-36616c and the other special tools to fix it right the 1st time...so eff spelling k?????????????????

shure you can trust the government,just ask us indians all about it...

heavy line the final protective fire line of the dealership

Last edited by satlite440; 08-01-2014 at 11:50 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:00 PM   #74
CaffeinatdOne
CaffeinatdOne is on a distinguished road

1998 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by satlite440 View Post
if you care to reply I am a dealer tech and I would like to knoe why almost every a/c delco oil filter for the 3.3Land 2.4L are partialy collapsed after only 3k and 60%side pleats collapsed after 5k.. and since the olm is set for 7500 on these most of the ones I see that are ac delco our supplyer for the dealer from gm.. the a/m ones are worse..seen them sucked down 1/2 inch in compression and yes that got an engine under warr for the timming chain oilers getting plugged up and stretching the chain so bad it broke the chain guides and the primary chain cut into the head and the block..24k on that one..and he did all 3 lof's with us...and that was an 09 gmc terrain 2.4L...oh and can you answer why ALL ac delco pf 58's and 42's were lock stock and barrel recalled from our shelfs and replaced.. they were from a cirtian lot # I can find the gm messenger # from my parts mgr on Monday...oh and yes my spelling sucks and evan better I don't give a rats ass..im a gm master cirtified engine trans tech,ase master tec and hybrid&volt&elr cirtified.. I wrench better than I spell and that's all that counts... if I wanted proper grammer I would have studied to be a secratery or a manager or got my English degree instead of one in power technology....plus im too last to down load ie spell...I can read and comprehend complex hybrid electrical diagnostics and use the meter and the j-36616c and the other special tools to fix it right the 1st time...so eff spelling k?????????????????

I respect your technical knowledge and I hope to learn from your posts. But I make my living as a communicator. Your failure to appreciate the value of skills other than the ones you just happen to hold is pretty irritating.

You may have a lot of really good ideas and your experience may be such that we can, and should, learn from you. NONE of that means a thing if you can't get your idea across to the next person. Learn to communicate and people will listen when you speak.

Just sayin. Rant mode off.

2 Subarus
1 Saturn
4 Gravelys and a John Deere
It's not dead; it's just sleeping.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CaffeinatdOne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CaffeinatdOne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CaffeinatdOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:10 AM   #75
lorentholcke
lorentholcke is on a distinguished road

Not sure what the oil analysis is between brands of filters but I have had good luck with Fram. All vehicles I or my father have owned have gone over 250k miles using Fram filters before we sold the vehicles. The only one I drove until it blew up was a Mitsubishi mighty max which finally died, RIP, with 345k on the clock. My Sl1 has 242k on it now and still runs perfectly. The car has only seen Fram filters. Some people dislike them but I have had great luck and will probably keep using them.

2001 SL1- 246xxx, Original clutch, transmission, and engine with no overhauls---Retired
2000 SW2- 150xxx, I wish it got the same gas mileage as the SL1
2013 Mazda3 i touring hatchback

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lorentholcke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lorentholcke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lorentholcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:27 PM   #76
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

Maybe people dislike them because they are orange and remind too many people of a jailhouse jumpsuit, LOL. Sorry I just had to say it!

Although, personally myself I have always preferred Purolator filters.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:35 PM   #77
eneloop
eneloop is on a distinguished road

I use factory filters no matter what Fram claims. If not factory, A/C Delco, PurOlator.....sorry fram man.

All the best
eneloop@yahoo.com

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eneloop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eneloop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eneloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:45 PM   #78
Jack Black
Jack Black is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

I'll stick with the M1's, Purolators, or Wix... You want to run a Fram, fill your boots its your choice.. Ran Frams on many vehicles, I'm not running a Fram on the Saturns ever, unless it was absolutely the only thing available.. Get it, got it, stick up for your company and your own work, a good sense of pride helps, but consistanly improving product is a must..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jack Black's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jack Black reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jack Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:09 PM   #79
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

About nine or ten weeks ago I spoke with the FRAM representative, motorking, who posted in this thread back in 2011. It was not hard to find him and he kindly took my call. I'd forwarded this thread to him to take a look at it and make a response post #73 (at that time the last post in the thread). Unfortunately, he declined stating that since Saturn's are no longer manufactured he's not interested in posting here. In this instance I believe that motorking has made a mistake by not replying to the thread and inadvertently assumed that since Saturn is gone that its drivers were, too.

Yes, Saturn has been consigned to join in the history of other failed automotive lines. However, Saturn owners are still very much alive and will continue to purchase whatever parts they will need for their non-Saturn cars in the future, as well as other non-Saturns which they may presently own. Perhaps motorking believed that he'd done all that was necessary to support his product, and believe me, he knows it - and the competition's products - very well. Nevertheless, we're still here and are potential customers. That is, if FRAM and it's representatives believe it's worth trying to win [some of] us over.

As for me, I stopped using FRAM products several years ago as I was tired of purchasing Chinese made filters. I use WIX filters now. They're typically marked as made in Poland. Years ago Fram filters came from Israel. That was fine by me. Israeli's do many things very well so I was happy to continue use their products.

With the advent of Chinese Fram filters I became disillusioned and disappointed. I suspect that Fram filters are more than adequate for Saturn engines, but how much must I support Chi-coms to keep my car running? For me that answer is, as little as possible.

275,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 10-17-2014 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: correction

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:50 PM   #80
eneloop
eneloop is on a distinguished road

The brand is gone .... that's just stupid on his part.

All the best
eneloop@yahoo.com

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eneloop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eneloop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eneloop is offline   Reply With Quote