SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2006, 03:25 PM   #41
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: Why does everyone hate FRAM oil filters here?

Has anyone found a larger filter that will fit the Honda 3.5L?

On my previous 2.5L Iron Duke engines I always bought the longer filters with the same base. It also made it easier to change the oil.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2006, 05:14 AM   #42
CND_SC1
Advanced Member
CND_SC1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC1

Having read the studies, looked at the pictures and considered the logic, I came away convinced that I should avoid Fram's and tFram clones - at least the cheaper varieties which are widely available.

I'm sure that with an excellent maintenance routine and some luck, Fram's can do a decent job as it has done for many responsible owners. An Oil Filter alone is not the last word in car care.

However, as with plugs, wires, fluids, gasoline and tires, I feel much better knowing that I have used the BEST I can afford - just in case - instead of hoping that "adequate" will suffice.

When I picked up a NAPA Gold filter 2 weeks ago and took it to a retail store, I could have sworn it was 25% heavier than the Fram family filters (QS, & MotorMaster) on the shelf, which was instantly reassuring.

Based on my driving habits I calculated the extra yearly cost of NAPA Gold filters comes to ...23 cents per week! I lose more coins than that most weeks. So I immediately purchased a supply of NAPA filters for the next 5 oil changes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CND_SC1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CND_SC1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CND_SC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 12:05 PM   #43
raceddaily
raceddaily is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Ya know? I work at a Wal-Mart Tire and Lube Express and I really can't see a difference in oil filters....

Yes, the Fram Oil filter has cardboard in it. An $85,000 Merc came in a few weeks ago and brang a customer supplied oil filter (Mercedes Genuine Part) Lo and behold...it was cardboard. Good for a merc then it's good for my Saturn and Subaru.

So if it's the 3615 or the 9018 for the ecotec I really don't see an issue with them. I think it's all personal choice....I mean lets face it. How many different brands of filters are there? A lot more then there are Manufacturers of them I bet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to raceddaily's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help raceddaily reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
raceddaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:33 PM   #44
CND_SC1
Advanced Member
CND_SC1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceddaily
Ya know? I work at a Wal-Mart Tire and Lube Express and I really can't see a difference in oil filters....

Yes, the Fram Oil filter has cardboard in it. An $85,000 Merc came in a few weeks ago and brang a customer supplied oil filter (Mercedes Genuine Part) Lo and behold...it was cardboard. Good for a merc then it's good for my Saturn and Subaru.
Considering the fact that Mercedes has brought up the bottom of just about every independent quality survey in the pst 6 years, I am surprised that anyone would take their lead from this brand.

I don't put any stock in OEM equipment whatsoever these days. These are rarely engineering decision - cost-cutting makes up 95% of all decisions, the other 5% is for all other considerations. Head office changes suppliers every year based on where they get the best price or the best co-promotion agreements.

Why do you think many recalls are VIN specific? Because many manufacturers do parallel production runs from 2 or 3 different parts supplies in the same model year in order to determine best return for the dollar. Since they make thei decision in one year, most of the cars habven't been on the road long enough to really prove if the component is of any good quality. So in practice - it comes down to cost.

Just look at the garbage tires that most cars are sold with today. The Dunlop & Firestones that many Sentra, Civic & Focuses would not do justice to the handling & braking ability of an '84 Lada station wagon, let alone a modern automobile. That'sall I need to know about manufacturer's recommendations.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CND_SC1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CND_SC1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CND_SC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 03:23 PM   #45
JADEDSL2
JADEDSL2 will become famous soon enough

Location: Sullivan, Missouri, USA, North America, Northern West Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Left Galactic Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Galactic Cluster, Universe

1993 SL2
1991 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xsl2
Is there another longer/larger oil filter that would fit the saturn? Seems like the largest one that would fit would be the best choice. If anyone does this, can you give brand/part #..
I work for Chrysler, and our Mopar (Purolator) filters are S series PF 53C's going under the #4105409BA (neons/pt cruisers, anything with a 2.0, 2.4L) The longer version is the #4781452BA (3.7L's and 2.4L Turbo's) I use the 452's on my SL, and I did on my SL2. More filter media, higher quality, and the slightly increased capacity (4.25 qts) makes for cooler oil, and a slightly cooler engine. I've had nothing but good results for the past 3 years.

"1G8ZJ5472MZ134321"-my Jaded, I will never forget.
"1G8ZF5594PZ249184"-Trinity, for three are now one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JADEDSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JADEDSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JADEDSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 05:05 PM   #46
bigc791
Advanced Member
bigc791 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnTech
Saturn filters are not made exculsively by FRAM. The contract is renewed every quarter and whoever has the lowest bid makes the filters for the next 3 months. It's simple economics, and I have said this over and over before. I get my information right from factory training at the plant in Spring Hill.
That being said...I am still of the opinion that an oil filter is an oil filter, not a life changing event. Use whatever brand you like. I have used them all, it just depends what store I am in when I happen to be buying one. It gets changed every 3mo/3K miles anyway. I have better things to do with my time than analyze oil filter media. I don't go out of my way to avoid FRAM, nor do I go out of my way to buy one. If I am at Wal Mart I generally buy the SuperTech filters anyway since they are cheaper.
Fram has been making them for the 5 years i have been at the dealer. Thats long enough for me to say there isnt an issue with the filters
Carmen

1998 2.4L swapped Plymouth neon is my ride.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigc791's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigc791 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigc791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:58 PM   #47
mjoekingz28
mjoekingz28 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

When I first got my bike (yzf600r) I went to change the oil and it had a fram. Now, Ive never bought a fram in my life but didnt think much of it when removing the one put on there by the previous owner.

Well, after the oil change I went to rev my bike for some reason and after a certain rpm oil would be gushing out. I thought I had broke something and got my dad to help me. Well he found it was coming from the filter so he removed it and found a rubber oring (gasket) stuck to the filter mounting area.

Maybe it was my fault for not checking and cleaning the area before putting the new filter on. But I thought what if I never revved it. I could have lost all the oil before I noticed the low oil light on there or I could have gotten oil over the rear tire.

Thats my one and ONLY EVER experience I will have of fram.

+on all the internet forums ive visited everyone disses fram about the cardboard endcaps and whatever else they suck at.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mjoekingz28's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mjoekingz28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mjoekingz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:44 PM   #48
Audi Junkie
Audi Junkie is on a distinguished road

Fram Tough Guard and Extended Guard are VERY good. The orange can is meh, but never hurt anything. Purolator is a good product for the money.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Audi Junkie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Audi Junkie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Audi Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:42 PM   #49
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Junkie View Post
Fram Tough Guard and Extended Guard are VERY good. The orange can is meh, but never hurt anything. Purolator is a good product for the money.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX0xr...eature=related

85 GLH 290whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215679
94 855 389xxx miles and climbing.
00 Insight 50mpg++

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #50
bobyjones
Advanced Member
bobyjones is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

ok fram air filters for a while were a GIANT JOKE as were the regular oil filters, now they have better oil filters supposedly, I'm still weary...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobyjones's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobyjones reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #51
brags
Advanced Member
brags will become famous soon enoughbrags will become famous soon enough

1996 SL1

I use Napa Gold wich is made by WIX good choice oil filter for my
Saturn thats all i use i did however use a few months ago the new
updated FRAM XG not the old XG the new one that shows a picture
on the outside box of a third layer of element wraping around the
outside of the filter with no problem but i will take your advise and
stay away from the cheap orange one"s for sure

" Any man that doesen"t share his knowledge in cars is wrong to do !"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brags's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brags reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:06 AM   #52
wtf1995
wtf1995 is on a distinguished road

WIX and Super Tech are made by the same people last i knew. but that was years ago. now i use nothing but WIX. theyyyrrrrr great.

that was a Frosted Flakes joke by the way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wtf1995's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wtf1995 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wtf1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #53
brags
Advanced Member
brags will become famous soon enoughbrags will become famous soon enough

1996 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtf1995 View Post
WIX and Super Tech are made by the same people last i knew. but that was years ago. now i use nothing but WIX. theyyyrrrrr great.

that was a Frosted Flakes joke by the way.
Yup i to use a wix oil filter too i have used a Fram XG nothing wrong
with this one too just stay away from the cheap orange coloured ones.
there made of paper that will break apart

" Any man that doesen"t share his knowledge in cars is wrong to do !"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brags's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brags reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #54
latner
latner is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

I've used frams for 30yrs and have never had an engine failure and I put alot of miles on 'em before I sell 'em.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to latner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help latner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:34 AM   #55
gtsxtt
gtsxtt is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I don't like Fram because everytime I have had to change one I had to stab a screwdriver through the side to get the damn thing off. Of course I've never personally bought one and installed one on any of the cars I have maintained or owned. I was brought up not to like them I guess? I also use WIX which is made by AMSOIL and I trust their stuff, always have had a good experience with it. They also make NGK, Mothers and Injen interesting I didn't know tilll i got sponsored by them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gtsxtt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gtsxtt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gtsxtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #56
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1

Incredible that this post could be still going on all these years.
Personal preference is fine, choose whatever filter you want.
Some of us like filters based on exterior color, some 'cause their favorite weighs more than another brand weighs.
As if the weight or paint color or packaging or brand name really mean anything at all.
I have used ANY filter that fits...I sometimes compare gaskets, and the number & placement of drain/filtering holes in the top and inside the body.
However: I have never had a filter failure.
I have driven almost 1 million miles in my lifetime.
I always (always) change oil AND filter 2500-3000 miles & have not ever (never) had to have an engine opened up to replace anything at all. Never.
Well, one time, when I had my 1st car (Fiat 124 Spyder) I hit the oil pan by traveling too fast on a bad set of railroad tracks (Wheaton, Illinois) and mashed the oil pump. But that was when I only knew how to drive too fast, too wild. I tamed down before I got rid of my 2nd car, a 1968 Corvette w/400+ HP. Saturns are great. Wish I had found them decades ago.
Personal preference: the least expensive filter I can find gets my money.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #57
Jonnyferrari
Jonnyferrari is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
Incredible that this post could be still going on all these years.
Personal preference is fine, choose whatever filter you want.
Some of us like filters based on exterior color, some 'cause their favorite weighs more than another brand weighs.
As if the weight or paint color or packaging or brand name really mean anything at all.
I have used ANY filter that fits...I sometimes compare gaskets, and the number & placement of drain/filtering holes in the top and inside the body.
However: I have never had a filter failure.
I have driven almost 1 million miles in my lifetime.
I always (always) change oil AND filter 2500-3000 miles & have not ever (never) had to have an engine opened up to replace anything at all. Never.
Well, one time, when I had my 1st car (Fiat 124 Spyder) I hit the oil pan by traveling too fast on a bad set of railroad tracks (Wheaton, Illinois) and mashed the oil pump. But that was when I only knew how to drive too fast, too wild. I tamed down before I got rid of my 2nd car, a 1968 Corvette w/400+ HP. Saturns are great. Wish I had found them decades ago.
Personal preference: the least expensive filter I can find gets my money.
Hey Wheaton! I almost died crossing some tracks there the signal failed and a train was about 20 feet from my car. I could use some mechanical help if you are in the area and know the L-Series V6 well!

[Sold] 2000 Saturn LS2 premium package; 120k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonnyferrari's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonnyferrari reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonnyferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #58
danhammer
danhammer is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

Nobody has posted what happened to Fram. Sometime in the 90's Honeywell bought out Fram and then cheapened the product, goal to turn a larger profit for Honeywell. They saw an opportunity and went for it.

In the old days Fram was a good filter. It has only been a crap filter since Honeywell acquired them.

This is standard practice for Honeywell. Every company they buy is a name brand which they continue to market as the original after they cheapen the product, end goal to put more profit into Honeywell stock for its investors.

The newest company they did this to is:Garrett Air Research.
Avoid these turbos as they are very cheaply made now!
These turbos are still marketed as the original Garrett Turbo which was of exceptional quality made in America. They are now made in China.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to danhammer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help danhammer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
danhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:20 AM   #59
snowball
snowball is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

...I am still of the opinion that an oil filter is an oil filter, not a life changing event.

For your engine it is a life changing event, if your using the wrong filter.
On the inside of the filter the end caps are made from cardboard which is not a good filter media for oil. Some say that they dont do that anymore and that the most expensive fram is not made that way but I dont use them.

Can I post a picture yet?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to snowball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help snowball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #60
10Miler
Advanced Member
10Miler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceddaily View Post
Have you ever cut open the filters? I had a bad experience at a WM Auto Center. Very bad, and it cost me $90 at the dealer to undo what they did.

edit: Holy old thread Batman!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 10Miler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 10Miler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
10Miler is offline   Reply With Quote