SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2006, 08:14 PM   #21
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Why does everyone hate FRAM oil filters here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xsl2
Is there another longer/larger oil filter that would fit the saturn? Seems like the largest one that would fit would be the best choice. If anyone does this, can you give brand/part #..
I use Pro-line 20195 from Pepboys.

Same filter as Purolator Premium Plus except cheaper. 2 years ago they were $1.99, now they're at $3.

85 GLH 290whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215679
94 855 389xxx miles and climbing.
00 Insight 50mpg++

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2006, 08:40 PM   #22
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1991 SL2

Used to use Fram all the time (when I could buy them 2 for $4...). Switched to NAPA/Wix Silverline version that run $2.59. I personally think that the Wix are slightly better (more media in them) for the price.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:42 AM   #23
bgates2b
bgates2b is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
1994 SL2

I used to run exclusively Fram on my cars until I stumbled on those sites lile bobsoil and hte mopar site that told the truth about them. Before that, when I worked for the family mechanic as a teen, we used to use the filter brand that belonged to the car manufacturer (Motorcraft for Ford, AC Delco for GM, etc).

Now, I am in overkill on oil filters. I run a K&N oil filter model 1002. Yes, they are expensive as hell at $12.00 a filter (not to mention I run Mobil 1 full synthetic too). However, since I changed to them, I have ZERO oil consumption. I also note that I can go 2000 miles before the oil gets fairly dark in color. The filter may not be responsible for the lack of oil consumption (though it is odd) but I know it is filtering better then the old Fram 3614's

Oh, and yes, even though it costs me 32.00 -35.00 just for supplies, I still change my oil every 3000 miles (which is around 6 weeks or so).

"Congratulations on your brand new 2007 Acura" - Tenisha, the On*Star rep that handled my call during the Aura's delivery

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bgates2b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bgates2b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bgates2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:58 AM   #24
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinghl
I use Pro-line 20195 from Pepboys.

Same filter as Purolator Premium Plus except cheaper. 2 years ago they were $1.99, now they're at $3.
It's not Purolater Premium Plus, it's Purolator Pure One. It's the one I use a PL20195. There aren't any Pep Boys handy arouns here.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:20 AM   #25
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

I'm pretty sure it is a plus, not a pure one.

Seeing how a plus is cheaper than pure one. Plus is closer to pro-line's price.

85 GLH 290whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215679
94 855 389xxx miles and climbing.
00 Insight 50mpg++

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:53 PM   #26
Silver02ex
Silver02ex is on a distinguished road

1991 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl
It's not Purolater Premium Plus, it's Purolator Pure One. It's the one I use a PL20195. There aren't any Pep Boys handy arouns here.
The pepboy line (Proline) is the same as the Premium plus. Go cut one open and you will see. the Proline does not have the silicone ADBV like the Pure one does. Plus the Pure one has a better media than the Premium plus. Proline is the same as the Premium plus with little less media area.

2002 Honda Civic EX
1991 Saturn SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Silver02ex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Silver02ex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Silver02ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 01:12 PM   #27
dieseljack
Advanced Member
dieseljack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJRacing91
They have their SuperTech filters. I've used those on every vehicle I've owned, and they've been great thus far, never had any seal problems or otherwise.
That SuperTech is a re-badged AC PF53. I've been using the AC filter over ten years and almost 400,000 miles in my '95 Saturn, and Bosch premium in my 2002 Acura RSX. Although Fram makes other grades of filters that are better than the ones being discussed, that base filter is crap. If you pull it apart, you'll notice the cardboard endplate that supports the bypass valve, and it appears the assembly is held on with some sort of thread. Sorry, not in my engines.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dieseljack's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dieseljack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dieseljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 02:10 PM   #28
kanling
kanling is on a distinguished road

1994 SL

A lot of brands of filters share the same manufacturer. Purolator makes Advance Auto Parts Totalgrip and Proline. Champion Labs makes most AC Delco, Supertech, STP, and a lot of other manufacturers.

When filters are made by the same mfr, it doesn't mean that they are the same. Construction quality and design is the same, but usually the amount and quality of the filtering media is different.

As an example, I cut open a certain size filter (not Saturn size) from Purolator Prem Plus, AAP, and Pro-line. Prem Plus and Proline were similar media, but the AAP filter had thinner media paper.

Filters I think are notable are:

Purolator Pure One : One of the best filtering filters around at a decent price with a silicone anti-drainback valve. Flow is less than others. Bypass valve design isn't very good.
Supertech: At $2.07, a great price on a filter with a good balance between filtering and flow.
Wix/NAPA Gold: Great bypass design so that oil doesn't wash over dirty media on cold weather starts. Silicone anti drainback works well on horizontally mounted saturn filters. Unfortunately, filtering element is shorter than most competitors to make room for the anti drainback. Hard to find at a good price in some areas. (I use the oversized version of this one year round personally on my Saturn, winter only on other cars.)
Purolator Premium Plus: One of the best flowing filters that filters well, too. Same bypass as Pure One, standard rubber anti-drainback.
K&N: Poor filtering, good flow, way overpriced.

Information came from Bob is the Oil Guy and personal experience.

Last edited by kanling; 02-01-2006 at 02:19 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kanling's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kanling reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kanling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 11:15 AM   #29
dieseljack
Advanced Member
dieseljack is on a distinguished road

The Auto Zone ValueCraft filter can be yours for $1.99. Take that same identical filter, spot weld a hex nut on the end, paint it white, put it in a K&N box, and you're in it for $12.48! Check it out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dieseljack's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dieseljack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dieseljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 10:56 AM   #30
94sc295sl2
94sc295sl2 is on a distinguished road

Location: spring hill tennessee (the motherland) sterling heights michigan native

1997 SL2
1994 SL1

well on my 1998sc2 and my 1997 sl1 i use the mopar 409 filter if i dont have a pf53 in hand. my jeep i use the 1090 filter from mopar(because i work at a jeep dealer)

remember that cars are built by robots built by human hands and are prone to failure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 94sc295sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 94sc295sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
94sc295sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:47 PM   #31
GregS&L
GregS&L is a jewel in the roughGregS&L is a jewel in the roughGregS&L is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1995 SL2

Nobody mentioned the Fram Extended Guard 7000 mile oil filter (XG3614) for our Saturn S Series. It is sold at WalMart for $9.98. After using one in my daughter's 97 SL2 for 5000 miles, I cut it apart - I was impressed, screening material all around a well designed filtering element plus other good features.

Of course more expensive; in this extremely competitive world you get what you pay for. FRAM is trying to makes things right, FOR A PRICE.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GregS&L's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GregS&L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GregS&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:28 AM   #32
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onimacus
My main question is that I've pretty much always used FRAMs in all my cars... But I was researching and reading random things, and I've come into more than a few posts that say stay away from FRAM filters... Could anyone shine some light on the reasoning why?
Travis
Because a lot of people are turned on by the prospect of buying rarer or more expensive brands of parts and their against anything that is readily available or less expensive. They're the same people who insist on buying Michelins. I never had a problem with FRAM (or STP or Purolator either).

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:35 AM   #33
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3aturnR
the bypass kicks in so nothing goes boom. when you change your oil and 3 days later, it's completely black after less than 300 miles of driving,
s3aturnr
Have you tried this with all the other brands of filters? I bet the oil looks the same.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:43 PM   #34
travman514
travman514 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Dizzy Re: Why does everyone hate FRAM oil filters here?

well i personally use whatever the store im in has in stock,which is mostly fram and sometimes ac delco. after seeing this thread i think i will avoid fram filters.there is hardly a noticable price difference so what will it hurt to get ac delco. 50 cents?.its a no brainer for me..thanks for the info

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to travman514's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help travman514 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
travman514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:19 PM   #35
notamechanic
notamechanic is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html
When you first go to this page and see MOPAR at the top don't let that dissuade you untill you read his conclusion on MOPAR Filters. "It should be clear that Mopar filters are really nothing special. Unless you are trying to have a perfect restoration and need that Mopar logo, there is no reason why you should be buying Mopar oil filters. Most of them seem to currently be Purolators or Champions, but that could change at any time."

"....If You Don't Like The Blues You've Got A Hole In Your Soul." (Buddy Guy)
"....God Blessed Texas"(Little Texas)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to notamechanic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help notamechanic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
notamechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:18 PM   #36
kanling
kanling is on a distinguished road

1994 SL

Here are some other filter comparisions that are good and a little more recent:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...c;f=6;t=003066

And this one that actually tested filtering and flow.

http://www.oilfilterstudy.com/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kanling's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kanling reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kanling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:48 PM   #37
alshoe
alshoe is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I have been changing my own oil on my cars for over 34 years. (In lawn mowers, with no oil filter, longer than that.) Have used Fram oil filters probably 80% of the time. Have never had an engine problem due to a bad filter. I agree with other's analysis, if you change your oil and filter regularly, you should be okay. If you don't like Fram, don't buy it. Also as others have pointed out, other filters may be built by Fram with a different label. It is hard to keep up with it all. However, it is interesting to know how the various brand filters are constructed.

Fresh oil will begin turn black within the first 1000 miles of driving regardless what filter you use. Most oils you buy contain detergents and it is capturing the minute particles of soot that are generated by the engine operation. It is helping keep the inside of your engine clean along with the filter. Detergent oil is suppose to turn black.

The oil filter helps contain larger particles that come from the engine operation such as metal particles or sludge. Metal particles could add to engine or bearing wear over time and sludge could clog oil passages and again add to engine wear with lack of lubrication.

For what it is worth, I also regularly use Fram air filters.

alshoe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alshoe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alshoe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 09:50 PM   #38
2WIN
2WIN is on a distinguished road

I think it's funny I ran into this thread here. In the motorcycle world we bash Fram as well. They are a cheaper filter for sure. I use either AC/Delco, Motorcraft,Bosch, K&N and use OEM filters in my bikes.

The amount of pleats and the fact that they use cardboard instead of other materials is the reason I stay away from Fram now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2WIN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2WIN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2WIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:23 PM   #39
stocksaturn
stocksaturn is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SC2
Attention Re: Why does everyone hate FRAM oil filters here?

I have put in over 5 fram oil filters. I have yet to have a bad thing happen. No cracks, no blow outs, no blockige. I always bought them and always will as long as they keep working like they been.

HEY EVERYBODY! AFTER A 9 month hiatus, I'm back!
2005 V6 AWD Vue (Hue)39K K&N CAI/Syntec/NGK's-265 CHP/Open exhaust!
1993 Pontiac TA (Black bird) 122K-CAI-FOR SALE!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stocksaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stocksaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stocksaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 02:39 PM   #40
JADEDSL2
JADEDSL2 will become famous soon enough

Location: Sullivan, Missouri, USA, North America, Northern West Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Left Galactic Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Galactic Cluster, Universe

1993 SL2
1991 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94sc295sl2
well on my 1998sc2 and my 1997 sl1 i use the mopar 409 filter if i dont have a pf53 in hand. my jeep i use the 1090 filter from mopar(because i work at a jeep dealer)
For your S series, if you want an extended capacity filter, try a MOPAR 4781452BA. This filter is for 3.7L and 2.4L Turbo Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep engines. It is a long 409, in reality, and a Purolator. Good filter. I've run them on my Saturn(s) since I can remember. Engine oil capacity is now 4.25L Keeps it good and clean. More oil, and more filter media to handle the same job as stock. If you want, go to a parts store, and see what they have to offer for a Jeep Liberty 3.7L in your brand of choice. That's a good way to get YOUR filter in the bigger size.

"1G8ZJ5472MZ134321"-my Jaded, I will never forget.
"1G8ZF5594PZ249184"-Trinity, for three are now one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JADEDSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JADEDSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JADEDSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote