SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2006, 12:10 PM   #1
Onimacus
Onimacus is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Why does everyone hate FRAM oil filters here?

I am fairly new to Saturnfans, and I am already a fan. Seems that there are a few good knowledgable people here...

My main question is that I've pretty much always used FRAMs in all my cars... But I was researching and reading random things, and I've come into more than a few posts that say stay away from FRAM filters... Could anyone shine some light on the reasoning why?

Thanks!

Travis

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Onimacus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Onimacus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Onimacus is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2006, 12:14 PM   #2
JS593
JS593 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1
Default Re: Why does everyone hate FRAM oil filters here?

Fram filters are made of carbboard, no more, they deterriorate faster then any other filter out tehre, why do you think they are so cheap? My motomaster filter has a longere life expectancy then a FRAM.

92 SL1 SOHC TBI
Custom intake
Alpine deck, speakers, amp
JBL Sub
Ultimate amp
Volometer gauge mounted in dash
Magnaflow exhaust
....DEAD.... Car towed away Jan 18 2007. RIP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JS593's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JS593 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JS593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:16 PM   #3
seawolf06
seawolf06 is on a distinguished road

Go to bobistheoilguy.com for a detailed explination.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to seawolf06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help seawolf06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
seawolf06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:17 PM   #4
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onimacus
I am fairly new to Saturnfans, and I am already a fan. Seems that there are a few good knowledgable people here...

My main question is that I've pretty much always used FRAMs in all my cars... But I was researching and reading random things, and I've come into more than a few posts that say stay away from FRAM filters... Could anyone shine some light on the reasoning why?

Thanks!

Travis

we hate them because they fail and usually do so quickly. i don't mean they fall off the car or anything. all filters have some sort of bypass, so that when the filter has had enough and would normally clog up, the bypass kicks in so nothing goes boom. when you change your oil and 3 days later, it's completely black after less than 300 miles of driving, your filter went straight to bypass, filtering nothing. that's my experience with fram. they suck so bad that they clog and bypass and you need another oil change within a week or two. but, since my car is rarely driven on the street and usually only sees about 400 miles (or less) between oil changes now, it almost doesn't matter if i buy a fram.

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:34 PM   #5
kanling
kanling is on a distinguished road

1994 SL

It isn't just here. Go to any automotive forum and see how respected FRAM filters are. FRAM is surviving on good marketing and good distribution and the fact than 99% of consumers just assume that the big brand is best.

Basically, with FRAM filters, you are paying more and getting less.

Your engine won't blow up with a fram (some might argue the other way), but you are getting poorer filtering, lower capacity, much poorer construction quality than any other manufacturer that I am aware of at any price. (FRAM's top of the line filter is actually pretty good though... whatever it is called)

I agree, go to BobistheOilGuy.com and look and learn. (You have to watch out for FRAM-constructed filters marketed as other brands.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kanling's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kanling reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kanling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:27 PM   #6
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

We cracked one open once and found a cigarette butt inside. Not dropped inside, but caught inside during manufacturing.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:44 PM   #7
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl is on a distinguished road

Farm has the smallest amount of filter media compare to all other brand.
Look at the Element Surface Area, Fram has 2/3 of what the next smallest surface area is. This is no opinion, it's fact. This was the 5.0 filter he was testing, I wouldn't be surprise if Farm smaller filter is just the same.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

85 GLH
94 855

89 CSX, parting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 03:23 PM   #8
tackepj
tackepj is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line
2008 Astra XE

I'm glad that someone asked this question and that there are real facts to show as evidence. I always wondered why there was a negative opinion of Fram. I've used them for years and will switch, but I wonder how difficult it is to find a good selection of other brands. I usually just end up at Walmart since their oil is generally at a good price, but they usually only stock Fram...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 03:34 PM   #9
bigc791
Advanced Member
bigc791 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

Frams arent as bad as everyone makes it. All the S cars that we service every day get a SATURN wait i mean fram filter. Some of the cars even have 400k on them. Thats alot of miles for a filter that supposibly doesnt do anything.
Carmen

1998 2.4L swapped Plymouth neon is my ride.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigc791's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigc791 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigc791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 03:39 PM   #10
LJRacing91
LJRacing91 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackepj
I usually just end up at Walmart since their oil is generally at a good price, but they usually only stock Fram...
They have their SuperTech filters. I've used those on every vehicle I've owned, and they've been great thus far, never had any seal problems or otherwise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LJRacing91's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LJRacing91 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LJRacing91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 03:55 PM   #11
kanling

1994 SL

Yes, there are a lot of cars with a lot of miles on them that have run nothing but FRAM filters. FRAM filters meet the manufacturer's requirements and are adequate for the job.

But "adequate" is the best thing you can say about them. Why should I pay over $3 for an "adequate" FRAM at Wal Mart when I can buy the Supertech (which is better quality) for $2?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kanling reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-31-2006, 03:55 PM   #12
SaturnTech
SaturnTech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigc791
Frams arent as bad as everyone makes it. All the S cars that we service every day get a SATURN wait i mean fram filter. Some of the cars even have 400k on them. Thats alot of miles for a filter that supposibly doesnt do anything.
Carmen
Saturn filters are not made exculsively by FRAM. The contract is renewed every quarter and whoever has the lowest bid makes the filters for the next 3 months. It's simple economics, and I have said this over and over before. I get my information right from factory training at the plant in Spring Hill.
That being said...I am still of the opinion that an oil filter is an oil filter, not a life changing event. Use whatever brand you like. I have used them all, it just depends what store I am in when I happen to be buying one. It gets changed every 3mo/3K miles anyway. I have better things to do with my time than analyze oil filter media. I don't go out of my way to avoid FRAM, nor do I go out of my way to buy one. If I am at Wal Mart I generally buy the SuperTech filters anyway since they are cheaper.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnTech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnTech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:50 PM   #13
ratherbcamping
ratherbcamping is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnTech
I am still of the opinion that an oil filter is an oil filter, not a life changing event.
Exactly! I've heard the same thing about Fram on the Jeep forums. If you change the oil every 3000 miles, the filter brand is not a major concern.

Our Toys: 06 F250 V-10; 03 Liberty; 99 SL2, 5-speed; 89 Cherokee 4x4, 5-speed, 3" lift (beach toy)

Kids Toys: 2000 SL1, auto; 95 Wrangler with overaxle lift.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ratherbcamping's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ratherbcamping reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ratherbcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:51 PM   #14
96GSL1
96GSL1 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

No sense paying more for less, though. SuperTech filters are a really good deal for the cash outlay.

96 SL1 202k
98 Windstar 123k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 96GSL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 96GSL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
96GSL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:10 PM   #15
2xsl2
2xsl2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinghl
Farm has the smallest amount of filter media compare to all other brand.
[/url]
Is there another longer/larger oil filter that would fit the saturn? Seems like the largest one that would fit would be the best choice. If anyone does this, can you give brand/part #..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2xsl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2xsl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2xsl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:22 PM   #16
kanling

1994 SL

Larger filter (longer) is the 3600 size (using Fram nunbering scheme). Most manufacturers make one.

On saturn, I like the Wix 51516. (Actually right now I happen to be running the regular size, not the large size). It is the best I've found for keeping startup noise down. (Same as NAPA Gold 1516).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-31-2006, 06:33 PM   #17
sl_don
sl_don is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

i buy AC DELCO filters by the dozen cuz there good fillters and when you get them by the case you pay about 1/2 price per filter. and incase anyone is wondeing the AC number is PF 53C

If it isn't broken.........Your not trying hard enough

2002 SL first brand new car in my family since the 1981 Pontiac Phoenix (sold)
2004 Vue AWD V6 bought used (current)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sl_don's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sl_don reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sl_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:47 PM   #18
deathman
deathman is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

one reason that fram oil filters are hated is because they have a tendency to come apart. working at saturn of s. blvd. in charlotte, i haven't heard anything from the other techs there, but when i was at uti, i learned how some oil filters were made and how they hold up to racing. oil filters have paper or fiber fillaments held in with various techniques. They can be anything from a tight perforated metal shield or metal rings or even glue. the problem people have is that the fram filter and other cheap filters are held together with glue and the fillament is just a bunch of folded over sheets of perforated paper and they tend to come apart.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to deathman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help deathman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
deathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:57 PM   #19
Titanium48
Titanium48 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS593
Fram filters are made of carbboard, no more, they deterriorate faster then any other filter out tehre, why do you think they are so cheap? My motomaster filter has a longere life expectancy then a FRAM.
Your motomaster filter is a fram (honeywell/allied signal) isn't it? The cheap oil filters at Canadian Walmarts are also fram/honeywell/allied signal product painted white instead of orange.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Titanium48's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Titanium48 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Titanium48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:13 PM   #20
Silver02ex
Silver02ex is on a distinguished road

1991 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS593
Your motomaster filter IS a Fram filter. Just like the Pennzoil, Some of Honda OEM, Milgard, and Deffense filters.

2002 Honda Civic EX
1991 Saturn SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Silver02ex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Silver02ex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Silver02ex is offline   Reply With Quote