SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2006, 02:35 PM   #1
coolgreany
coolgreany is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2002 VUE 3.0L
Default 2002 V6 Vue: P0128 code: "Engine coolant temp below thermostat temp"

Here we go again. I already had the thermostat replaced at approx 15,000 miles under warranty by Saturn of Cary. Now I'm in Norther VA (military) and the dreaded code has come up again. Any chance this won't need another thernmostat job along with $$$ (I'm assuming $300-$400) out of my pocket.

I'm thinking of asking the dealer here for a discount since it is a repeat offense or should I just get out the vaseline?

02 VUE Auto AWD-63k-Florida
02 SL2 Manual -76K, Germany
00 SL2 Auto-90K-failed emissions, Portland, OR
99 SL2 Auto-115K-aging, Portland, OR

91 SL1-Stolen 03, 113K
96 SL1-Totaled 02, 86K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to coolgreany's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help coolgreany reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
coolgreany is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2006, 02:49 PM   #2
IMkenNY
IMkenNY is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2002 V6 Vue: P0128 code: "Engine coolant temp below thermostat temp"

Ouch!
It never hurts to ask.
I would show the service writer the N/C warranty paperwork from the previous repair rather than have them look it up in the service history.
How far are you out of warranty?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IMkenNY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IMkenNY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IMkenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 02:52 PM   #3
coolgreany

2002 SL2
2002 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: 2002 V6 Vue: P0128 code: "Engine coolant temp below thermostat temp"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMkenNY
How far are you out of warranty?
About a year and 9,000 miles or so.

91 SL1-Stolen 03, 113K
96 SL1-Totaled 02, 86K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help coolgreany reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-29-2006, 02:58 PM   #4
IMkenNY
IMkenNY is on a distinguished road

30,000 miles is far too short of a life for that replacement thermostat, I would hope they would give you a discount.
Any Saturn technicians know the going price for this repair?, I thought it was in the $200 range.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IMkenNY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IMkenNY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IMkenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 04:58 PM   #5
dogturd21
dogturd21 is on a distinguished road

So you are thinking that the thermostat is stuck open? That does not happen very often, but it has happened to me on two occasions. On the face of it, that is what I would think, but there is a slight chance of other issues: if it is really cold out, and the engine software thinks you should have a 195 degree thermostat, but you really have a 160 or 180 etc. I could see that code being thrown. You should have a carefull talk with both a service writer and a mechanic: insist on talking with the mechanic. I would also suggest checking to see if there is an updated version of the computer software- that can prevent or cure other minor issues as well.

Here is a TSB that describes your condition:

Insufficient Heat, Service Engine Soon (MIL) Telltale On, DTC P0128 Set (Replace Thermostat Assembly) #03-06-02-002 - (Mar 20, 2003)
Insufficient Heat, SERVICE ENGINE SOON (MIL) Telltale On, DTC P0128 Set (Replace Thermostat Assembly)
2002-2003 Saturn VUE and L-Series Vehicles

with 3.0L Engine (VIN R -- RPO L81)

General Manager, Fixed Operations Manager, Parts Manager, Technician

Condition
Some customers may comment on the SERVICE ENGINE SOON telltale coming on and/or insufficient heat from the heater. When this condition occurs, DTC P0128 may be set and stored by the ECM.

Cause
This condition may be caused by the thermostat opening and regulating engine coolant at a temperature below specification.

Correction
To correct this condition, replace the thermostat assembly. To replace the thermostat assembly, refer to "Thermostat Inlet Housing and Element - L81" removal and installation procedures in the "Cooling" section of the corresponding 2002-2003 Engine Service Manual.

Parts Information
Part Number
Description

Thermostat Kit -- Engine Coolant

--
PST 565

Claim Information:
To receive credit for this repair during the warranty coverage period, submit a claim through the Saturn Dealer System for J3500 (Thermostat and/or Gasket, Engine-Replace).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dogturd21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dogturd21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dogturd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:19 PM   #6
coolgreany

2002 SL2
2002 VUE 3.0L

Thanks for the TSB reference. Another poor design.

91 SL1-Stolen 03, 113K
96 SL1-Totaled 02, 86K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-30-2006, 10:37 PM   #7
dogturd21
dogturd21 is on a distinguished road

I dont know enough about it to pronounce it a poor design: but apparently they have seen it enough to put out a TSB to help pinpoint the problem. Some companies are very good at getting helpfull bulletins to the service arm to help with problems. GM is pretty good about it. Just be thankfull you did not get a Nissan/Infinity with the J30 engine...they have about a 50% failure rate for the ignition system (6 coils), and no warranty help if you are out. That is a $1200 repair (200 per coil, and they insist on replacing all coils). Turns out it was a design defect and the coils fail prematurly. Two of my buddies at work recently had this happen.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dogturd21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dogturd21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dogturd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 05:57 PM   #8
Gheuett
Gheuett is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

I have the same issue with my 2003 V6. I live in the south so I may not have quite the lack of heat problem associated with the open thermostat. It still heats up well. I looked into doing the repair myself as I like to do most of the basic fixes. This one is a nightmare. The thremostat is plenty buried in the engine. Every thermostat I ever replaced on any other car was accessible. This one is not.

Most aspects of the engine repair/maintenance have been good on this engine. For me that has been just really all the standard maintenance items. It has been a pretty friendly engine from that standpoint. But this design for the thermostat is pretty lousy.

I'll probably just let a trusted mechanic handle mine.

Thanks,
Gib

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gheuett's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gheuett reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gheuett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 12:06 AM   #9
bigc791
Advanced Member
bigc791 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gheuett
I have the same issue with my 2003 V6. I live in the south so I may not have quite the lack of heat problem associated with the open thermostat. It still heats up well. I looked into doing the repair myself as I like to do most of the basic fixes. This one is a nightmare. The thremostat is plenty buried in the engine. Every thermostat I ever replaced on any other car was accessible. This one is not.

Most aspects of the engine repair/maintenance have been good on this engine. For me that has been just really all the standard maintenance items. It has been a pretty friendly engine from that standpoint. But this design for the thermostat is pretty lousy.

I'll probably just let a trusted mechanic handle mine.

Thanks,
Gib
Its easier than it looks on the Vue. The L cars are a pain in the butt. Just unbolt the intake and bungie cord it up. Remove the intake spacer and your at the t stat. Can be done in about in hour(with alot of practice)
Carmen

1998 2.4L swapped Plymouth neon is my ride.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigc791's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigc791 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigc791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 10:57 AM   #10
inski
inski is on a distinguished road

I've done about a hundred of them. It still takes me 1.5+ hours. Warranty labor is 1.8 hours. It does require some special tools, and correct torques, and being careful not to brake other things when you're hanging your intake. I do not recommend doing this yourself unless you've seen/helped someone else doing it, and/or have the shop manual right in front of you.

This is all part of the new federal emmissions which require manufactures to have computer and total engine control faster during warm up. So now the coolant temp is being monitored by computer, which has never been done before, and the feds say if its not at 'so and so' temp and 'so-and-so' time the thermostat is leaking by and the computer doesn't have complete control and warm up is taking too long. Thermostats have been leaking by since thermostats were invented, but only now have we started to keep track of their performance.
Try a therostat in a Ion Redline. Those are much more fun.

Thermostat is a primitive hunk of metal. Heat the coil and the valve opens/closes. I think if we need to have it perform more precisely they need to invent a motorized stepper solenoid for thermostatic control. my $0.02

-Blue 06Vue v6 awd.
-95VW Rally-xer, built for sweet jumps.
-89 VW Cabriolet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to inski's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help inski reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
inski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 01:14 PM   #11
bigc791
Advanced Member
bigc791 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by inski
Try a therostat in a Ion Redline. Those are much more fun.

Thermostat is a primitive hunk of metal. Heat the coil and the valve opens/closes. I think if we need to have it perform more precisely they need to invent a motorized stepper solenoid for thermostatic control. my $0.02
Those are cake. Remove the underhood junction block and you have a ton of room to play. Can be done in about 45 min.
Carmen

1998 2.4L swapped Plymouth neon is my ride.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigc791's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigc791 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigc791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 07:12 PM   #12
greg stoever
greg stoever is on a distinguished road

A quick question on the thermostat temp when car is hot ( warmed up ) where is your needle placement on the tempture gage? I have found in the past that when the engine is cold it uses more gas because it is in the warm up mode. I have asked the dealer and he said mine is fine but I remember it runnig hotter when I bought it new. If thermostat is defective it could cause the computer to have car run in richer fuel mode. I have 8,000 miles and watch my start and stops and run 65 to 70 mph, not using AC and get only 20.1 mpg. I have Mobil 1 and K&N filter. Tires are aired weekly at 35 front and 36 rear. Where has my millage going from when it was new? Please respond with you gage readings and lets check this out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greg stoever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greg stoever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greg stoever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:03 AM   #13
inski
inski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigc791
Those are cake. Remove the underhood junction block and you have a ton of room to play. Can be done in about 45 min.
Carmen
Nice tip! Thanks

-Blue 06Vue v6 awd.
-95VW Rally-xer, built for sweet jumps.
-89 VW Cabriolet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to inski's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help inski reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
inski is offline   Reply With Quote