SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2006, 08:05 PM   #1
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Default Spring Hill closing? Feb. 2006 Motor Trend

Has any seen the February 2006 issue of Motor Trend? They had a small section on the plants GM is planning to close by 2008. Listed was the Lansing plant that builds the SSR, the Doraville plant that builds the vans, another I forgot, and finally the Spring Hill Saturn plant. I certainly hope it's not true that GM is closing the Spring Hill plant. What's the deal, it's been said that Spring Hill will not close, but now Motor Trend is saying differently? I dont know how trustworthy Motor Trend is, but things are not really looking that great for the Spring Hill plant. After this year the Ion is finished, then after 2007 the Vue is history. So basically Spring Hill does not have a car to manufacture after 2007. What do you all think about this?

I though Saturn was one of GM's cars that is actually selling. Maybe they want to close it down to build Saturns at other plants to make them look like their other GM siblings. I've been a GM car fan for pretty much my whole life, but if GM decideds to pull the plug on Spring Hill I will never buy another newer Saturn or any GM again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2006, 08:22 PM   #2
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Arrow Re: Spring Hill closing? Feb. 2006 Motor Trend

No worries, Motor Trend is just late in reporting the news. "Line 1" (ION) at Spring Hill is slated to close at the end of this year, but there are rumors that this date will be pushed back since the ION's replacement is so far off. The VUE will continue to be built there, and this summer Saturn will start production of the hybrid VUE. Once the current VUE runs its course, Spring Hill will likely build non-Saturn steel-bodied GM vehicles, but the particulars about that decision have not yet been announced.

Here are some articles that you may or may not have seen:
http://www.saturnfans.com/Company/20...elineion.shtml
http://www.saturnfans.com/Company/20...eduction.shtml

Spring Hill is here to stay...

Hope that helps,
Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:26 PM   #3
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Spring Hill closing? Feb. 2006 Motor Trend

Motor Trend went to press with their information before it was clarified that Spring Hill is not closing its doors completely; only the ION assembly line will cease production at the end of the 2006 calendar year, possibly later in light of its replacement not being ready before MY '09.

Spring Hill will continue building 2.4L Ecotec engines and assemble the VUE through this model year and next. There has been speculation that production of VUE v2.0 (to be classified as a 2008 model) will be transferred to either Mexico or Canada, but GM has not made any official announcement and is not likely to before the second quarter of 2007.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:27 PM   #4
HumpMan
HumpMan will become famous soon enough

It's just my interpretation of my reading of GM press releases, but I think there may be some confusion as to what will get "shut down" at Spring Hill. I think it's all but certain that the portion of the assembly line at Spring Hill that does the ION will be phased out with that vehicle. However, this is either an entirely separate line from the one that makes the VUE, or at least is only part of a "split line."

I think that since GM's announcement that the ION line would be shut down was included in a bigger announcement of total plant closings, some "lazy journalists" may have made it look like all of Spring Hill would close.

It is also possible that all vehicle assembly might get phased out at Spring Hill but with the plant staying open. Spring Hill makes, or can make, engines that can be used throughout GM's vehicle line. So even though I'd hate to think of no cars being assembled at Spring Hill, it's possible that GM may want to transition Spring Hill to a parts supplier.

Just my 0.02.

the HumpMan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HumpMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HumpMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HumpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:05 PM   #5
s-seriesguy

Thanks, I've already hear about the Ion and Vue being eventually finshed off. I hope this is just old information that Motor Trend isnlt presenting correctly. This leads me to wonder, what doesthe future hold for Spring Hill after 2007?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpMan
It is also possible that all vehicle assembly might get phased out at Spring Hill but with the plant staying open. Spring Hill makes, or can make, engines that can be used throughout GM's vehicle line. So even though I'd hate to think of no cars being assembled at Spring Hill, it's possible that GM may want to transition Spring Hill to a parts supplier.
The sad truth is, I think that is what GM plans to do. Spring Hill is one of 2 or 3 plants, I think, in the US that produce the Ecotec engine. Who knows, maybe some Chevy product will be lined up to be produced there. It's sad to see this happen, but it seems like things are going downhill fast for Saturns and Spring Hill.

What about the Outlook? Where is that supposed to be produced?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2006, 10:36 PM   #6
red96
red96 is on a distinguished road

Spring Hill is alive and well, Please don't worry them, they have a very bright future and should be learing what their new platform will be soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to red96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help red96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
red96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:35 AM   #7
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

I wonder if there is a possibility that the current VUE will continue through MY 08? The new hybrid will certainly have to be immediately available in the next body style.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:42 PM   #8
delivery man
Advanced Member
delivery man is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I just got off the phone with Saturn CAC about another matter, but she said that the new VUE Hybrid is going to be taking the place of the ION at Spring Hill. I guess the line that builds the ION will be retooled to build the VUE Hybrid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to delivery man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help delivery man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
delivery man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:59 PM   #9
red96

Quote:
Originally Posted by delivery man
I just got off the phone with Saturn CAC about another matter, but she said that the new VUE Hybrid is going to be taking the place of the ION at Spring Hill. I guess the line that builds the ION will be retooled to build the VUE Hybrid.

I don't know who this Saturn CAC is or even what it is but there is NO truth to that. The Green Line is built as a VUE on the Vue assembly line, and there is NO WAY the ION line will be converted just for that. The Hybrid schedule for the entire production run is not that many units.

I have no idea where this type of info comes from

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help red96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-27-2006, 01:01 PM   #10
red96

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb
I wonder if there is a possibility that the current VUE will continue through MY 08?
MY 08, No, That's not going to happen as the current model.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-27-2006, 03:26 PM   #11
sclindon
sclindon is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by red96
I don't know who this Saturn CAC is or even what it is but there is NO truth to that. The Green Line is built as a VUE on the Vue assembly line, and there is NO WAY the ION line will be converted just for that. The Hybrid schedule for the entire production run is not that many units.

I have no idea where this type of info comes from

What makes you such an expert on what is built at the Spring Hill Factory?

Former Saturns:
2006 Ion 3 2.4L, 5 speed
2004 Ion 2, 5 speed; 2004 Vue, 5 speed
2002 SL1, 5 speed; 1993 SC1, 5 speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sclindon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sclindon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sclindon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 08:43 PM   #12
s-seriesguy

Quote:
Spring Hill is alive and well, Please don't worry them, they have a very bright future and should be learing what their new platform will be soon.
Do you work there? I doubt it, becuase you would be concerned yourself of the future of Spring Hill because no future products have been announced. Yeah, let's hope there's a new product, I do. Spring Hill has not been informed on any new products for a few years now, and still have been to be informed. I know people at the plant, and the lack of information that they are receiving upsets them. They do not even know yet what the future holds for Spring Hill. I hope everything goes their way, but we'll have to wait and see.

As far as the VUE hybrid goes, that is supposed to be produced very soon. So there's no way it can be put onto the Ion line yet. They're already produced quite a few test models.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-27-2006, 10:41 PM   #13
red96

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclindon

Lets just say I'm Much CLOSER to the situation than ANY of you are.

And as I said the future is very bright in Spring Hill.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-27-2006, 10:52 PM   #14
red96

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclindon

It's Spring Hill Manufacturing not Factory

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-27-2006, 11:30 PM   #15
karinhesed86
karinhesed86 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-seriesguy
It's sad to see this happen, but it seems like things are going downhill fast for Saturns and Spring Hill.
*worries*

2002 SL2 Automaic... going strong at 89,000 miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to karinhesed86's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help karinhesed86 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
karinhesed86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:06 AM   #16
red96

Quote:
It's sad to see this happen, but it seems like things are going downhill fast for Saturns and Spring Hill.

Can you answer me WHY you think Spring Hill is in so much trouble?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2006, 01:58 AM   #17
ttreibel
Advanced Member
ttreibel is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2002 SL1

I think Spring Hill will build the all new Saturn Hybrid that will becoming and yes it will be a Civic Killer.

anyway that is where my money is if not I guess I will keep buying used S-cars.

1995 SL1 oil burner school commuter looks nice...1997 SL1 Gold 5-speed with new junk yard wheels and tires just got 40.4 MPG....2002 SL1 sometimes 45 MPG on a spring highway drive

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ttreibel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ttreibel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ttreibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 02:58 AM   #18
s-seriesguy

Quote:
Lets just say I'm Much CLOSER to the situation than ANY of you are.

And as I said the future is very bright in Spring Hill.
I've got family and know many people who work there personally, and there have been talks that so far things are not looking to bright as far as a new product in Spring Hill. So where you are getting your information from, I have no clue becuase everyone I've talked to is concerned about the future. Especially since the Ion production will end after this year, it's not like they can move all of those people to a different area in the plant. Saturn's future in gereal, may be looking good, but who says it will stay here? Since you say things going good in the later years out there, please let us know becuase I'm persoanlly curious to see what is planned for Spring Hill.

Quote:
Can you answer me WHY you think Spring Hill is in so much trouble?
Becuase there has not been any talk of a new product for Spring Hill for the past few years, and yet there is still no news for a new car to be built there. Why do you think things are looking up?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2006, 07:10 AM   #19
red96

Quote:
Becuase there has not been any talk of a new product for Spring Hill for the past few years, and yet there is still no news for a new car to be built there. Why do you think things are looking up?

Itís true, some employees at SH should be worried about their future, those for the most part are the area hires that have less than 15 years seniority. Many are already in the jobs bank but the job bank looks to be a target at the next contract talks. When the plant went back to GM there was a house cleaning to reduce cost and SH just had to many people for the product they were building. So yes, some employees should be worried about their jobs but those employees would be worried even if the Ion and Vue were going to be built forever.
Now as a plant SH has many advantages over most other GM plants. One being itís size and flexibility; it has a power train and stamping plant on site as well as a foundry, and a SSPO plant. The plant has a good tax structure and very few environmental problems. These are all great benefits SH has that most GM plants donít.
As for no new product being announced yet? Someone high up in GM knows what will be built there, the future of the current Vue and Ion, two vehicle GM needs for C.A.F.E. still has a place in the market but with GM financial problems it will take some big dollars to retool SH for a new model and I donít know if the timing is right to tell the stockholders it investing money anywhere.
Yes, with all that said SH does have a bright future, will it again be building Saturns???? Only if a Saturn product is part of the platform SH builds, Will it have plastic panels, NO.
Will it support all the employees receiving a pay check from their today, NO . But will it continue to be building a GM product and employing thousands of people, Yes.
With that the future is bright.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2006, 10:22 AM   #20
frereagle
frereagle is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1997 SL2

i dont know about the ION being phased out but the latest information i have from my grandfather that works at GM is that the ION is moving to GM Lordstown, down here in Ohio. That isnt final yet but that is the word.

"Well me and my Splattern will just have to run circles 'round ur rustang"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to frereagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help frereagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
frereagle is offline   Reply With Quote