SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 01-26-2006, 04:48 PM   #1
Pioneer_Saturn
Advanced Member
Pioneer_Saturn is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Idea How to make that engine shine

Hey everyone. We Saturns have a huge advantage when make our engines look good...and that adavantage is almost everything is plastic. This is how you can make that engine shine.

1) Get a couple (or more depending on how dirty the engine is) old T-shirts and cut each of them in half.

2) Get a bottle of Windex and a bottle of ArmorAll Ultra-Shine.

3) Spray the first rag with windex (untill its fairly saturated...not quite wet though)

4) Wipe down every surface of the engine with the rag (you may need to repeat this same process with your next rage)

5) Once the engine is pretty clean...spray the next rage with ArmorAll Ultra-Shine and wipe down all visible plastic pieces

6) Now you have a nice shiny engine...The ArmorAll Ultra-Shine wont wear off for a long time and is perfectly safe to use...Ive been doing this for almost 2 years now. I would suggest to never use those engine detailer in the aerosol (however you spell it) cans...Ive tried those and it leave a filthy residue that doesnt really help the situation.

-If you do this about 3-6 times a year, your engine will be shiny 24/7. And this process only take about 10 minutes or less.

-I would highly recommend doing this if youre about to sell your car too. The buyer will take one look at the engine bay and know that the car has been taken care of...a big plus when looking at a car.

Any questions write me back.
Pioneer_Saturn...out

First and only dual-alternator Saturn

"Louder than your Saturn on music or your money back!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pioneer_Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pioneer_Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pioneer_Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2006, 04:54 PM   #2
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2
Default Re: How to make that engine shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer_Saturn
-I would highly recommend doing this if youre about to sell your car too. The buyer will take one look at the engine bay and know that the car has been taken care of...a big plus when looking at a car.
Pioneer_Saturn...out
Or they may think that it's leaking (oil) and your trying to cover it up. It's a common ploy used by less than honest used car dealers.
For most customers, it's probably a good thing for the engine to look shiny (that's why the dealers spend the time to do it).
Even a knowledgeable customer will probably be satisfied if you give them a long test drive, ending with another inspection of the engine compartment showing an equally clean engine.
Great procedure...I plan on doing it myself when it warms up a bit.

High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 09:52 PM   #3
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m will become famous soon enoughDavid 93 SL2m will become famous soon enough

1993 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L
Happy Re: How to make that engine shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer_Saturn
2) Get a bottle of Windex and...
Simple Green works very well too.

http://www.simplegreen.com/

As of 29 Mar 2014
∙ 1993 SL2, 207K
∙ 1996 SC2,121K
∙ 2002 SL1, 86K
∙ 2004 VUE, 93K
Past
∙ 1993 SC2, 140K
∙ 1996 SC2, 157K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200, 20K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
David 93 SL2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 12:48 AM   #4
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy will become famous soon enoughUzzy will become famous soon enough

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 93 SL2m

But isn't that made of people?

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 03:32 AM   #5
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy
But isn't that made of people?
That's Soylent Green

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 07:18 AM   #6
asgardshill
asgardshill is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
That's Soylent Green
Considering Charlton Heston's unfortunate health problems of late, perhaps "Simple Green" is a better descriptive phrase ...

(I am SO going to hell for that observation ...)

Sir, the poster's automobile's name is Becky Sue, sir.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to asgardshill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help asgardshill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
asgardshill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:33 PM   #7
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy will become famous soon enoughUzzy will become famous soon enough

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
That's Soylent Green
But it tastes soo good.

Back to the topic at hand, I bought a $4 bottle of Gunk brand, gel engine cleaner. Coated an engine in a '92 SL2 that was oil sprayed and had a crack in the head severe enough to spray pressurized oil onto the header pipe. This engine was filty. We sprayed it on and it had a good 15 mins to 'work' while we tried to figure out why the pressure washer wasn't working. Got it working and washed the engine. Totally unimpressed. My friend handed me a regular spray bottle of the stuff the dealer uses for engine cleaning (he's a Tech there) As I sprayed I could watch the stuff left behind by the Gunk gel, and the pressure washer, literally melt away from the cam cover, and header. That is some good stuff.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:28 AM   #8
Misplacedcowboy
Misplacedcowboy is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Another quick responce to making your engine compatrment glow. 1) Power wash your engine compatrment clean. 2) Spray the engine compartment with any of the available Instant Tire Foam products. 3) Wait 10 minutes and then wipe any of the water spot areas. Your engine compartment will look beautifuly detailed with just the right amount of gloss. When told about this I did not believe it as it was too easy. Give it a shot as you will be shocked what this simple detail trick will do for you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Misplacedcowboy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Misplacedcowboy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Misplacedcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:00 PM   #9
93 sw2
93 sw2 is on a distinguished road

1993 SW2
2003 ION Red Line

I dont know about you but i clean my whole engine with wd 40, works like a god damn charm. Screw windex and armor all !

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/TooLFan510/IMG00330.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/TooLFan510/IMG00331.jpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 93 sw2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 93 sw2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
93 sw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:15 PM   #10
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Who's honestly going to sit there with Windex and clean their motor? Who has this much time on their hands? Get yourself a spray bottle of purple power degreaser, spray the engine down, hose it off, then hit it with an aerosol tire shine product. You'll be done in 10 minutes. Here's the engine on the '01 SW2 I just picked up. 107K miles on it, and my sister's '97 SL2, 92K miles on it.

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squareback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #11
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 93 SL2m View Post

+ 1 on the SimpleGreen. Less cleaning and wiping and biodegradable. Its a known secret of dirt bikers to clean their machines and the SG helps protect from further collection of dirt sticking.

fyi, in some hot states, ArmorAll is a no-no especially on many plastics and rubber surfaces as once it dries if you do not keep applying it the surface will eventually dry and crack.
I found this out the hard way with my dash in FL one hot summer. I have been using F21 by TurtleWax instead. ArmorAll may also damage under hood stickers too.

The pics look good. A clean engine is a happy engine.

marx404
Saturn lives.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:43 PM   #12
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 sw2 View Post
I dont know about you but i clean my whole engine with wd 40, works like a god damn charm. Screw windex and armor all !

You do know that WD40 is flammable right?

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:43 PM   #13
marx404
Master Member

2008 Astra XE
Dizzy Re: How to make that engine shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
You do know that WD40 is flammable right?
Yea, but everyone knows flames make the car appear faster.

Good detailing tips can be found here:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/index.php?

marx404
Saturn lives.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #14
1994Saturn
1994Saturn will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2
1994 SL1
Happy Re: How to make that engine shine

I actually use tire shine. (any brand) for the under the hood shine.. works pretty good, but can collect dust... but i do it often, so all is well.

Current:
1998 SL2 Auto issues 112K
1995 Eagle Vision 3.5L TSI 117K
Past:
98 SL1 254k miles Valves Burnt.
94 SL2 125K miles Diff Pin Blew!
94 SL1 Sold @134K.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1994Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1994Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1994Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:26 PM   #15
linuxdude
linuxdude is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default oil on engine (and smoky fires) a part of army memories

Oiling the engine to "look good" was something that seemed to happen a lot when I was in the army way back when. It was pretty funny when during a VIP inspection the VIP asked for the crew to fire up their Bradley so he could hear it run. Done, after a few minutes the oil sheen started smoking, then broke into flames. Which triggered an auto extinguisher and all kinds of chaos.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to linuxdude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help linuxdude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
linuxdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:06 PM   #16
OZARKJAY
OZARKJAY is on a distinguished road

NOT TO SHINEY
I use a Calfornia duster every 2 weeks and then apply spray silicone
bought at wallmart. It leaves a nice low luster shine and is good for the hoses etc. Also works great to preserve all the door/trunk & hood gaskets !!

Old Detailer ..........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OZARKJAY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OZARKJAY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OZARKJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:04 PM   #17
wednesday
wednesday is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Can you really just hose the engine down after applying the degreaser? It won't hurt anything? I just watched a youtube video on cleaning a car engine and the narrator mentions covering the distributor cap if your car has one. I have a 95 SL2 (DOHC), would that engine have anything I need to cover up?

Thanks!!!!

95 SL2 181K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wednesday's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wednesday reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #18
marx404
Master Member

2008 Astra XE
Wrench Re: How to make that engine shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wednesday View Post
Can you really just hose the engine down after applying the degreaser? It won't hurt anything? I just watched a youtube video on cleaning a car engine and the narrator mentions covering the distributor cap if your car has one. I have a 95 SL2 (DOHC), would that engine have anything I need to cover up?

Thanks!!!!
I use only Simple Green and a toothbrush to clean my engine bay. You'll want to use a plastic grocery bag (check for holes) to cover your distributor. Have a hose ready set on a medium spray, NOT blasting hard as this may cause dirt to actually blow into any vital parts and not rinse off which is what you are trying to accomplish.

Spray the engine bay when it is cold, not hot with water to loosen any dirt then spray with Simple Green. Scrub any bad spots with your toothbrush (an old one preferably, lol). Let it set only a few minutes, rinse thoroughly. Also rinse off your fenders to prevent any spotting. Remove the plastic bag, wipe any excess water off with a clean rag and IMMEDIATELY start your engine to dry, let the engine run for awhile.

marx404
Saturn lives.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2009, 12:01 PM   #19
99satsc2dohc
99satsc2dohc is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

Yeah...you def. want to make sure not to get it on the dist. and such, did that years ago...thats when I realized punching a dash in an older car and make it split RIGHT down the middle!

Yeah...I traded a 86 GMC that spewed oil for this...good trade!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99satsc2dohc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99satsc2dohc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99satsc2dohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:36 AM   #20
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Cleaning under the hood has never been a hard thing to do.

Pictures
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=137886

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote