SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2006, 06:49 PM   #1
duanejen
duanejen is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L
Default Major interior water leak...HELP!!!

I have an '02 Vue and it has been a tremendous vehicle. Not a single problem in the 4 years I have owned it (I now have 70K miles on it).

Unfortunately a week or two ago I noticed some dampness on the floor of the passenger side. I immediately suspected heater core but ruled that out because it contained no antifreeze and it always became more wet after it rained.

This past weekend we had torrential rain and I ended up with over 1 inch of water in both the driver and passenger side which ran under the seats. Unfortunately I have a very expensive DVD navigation system mounted on the floor under the passenger seat and it appears that it was fried:-(

I had a glass company water test it and they said the windshield is not the problem. I suspect water may be coming in around the fresh air filter box on the passenger side under the cowl but I'm not sure.

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY ISSUES WITH THE VUE AND THIS KIND OF LEAKAGE? ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!!! THANKS!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to duanejen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help duanejen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
duanejen is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2006, 11:20 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Major interior water leak...HELP!!!

If you have a sun roof then there is a good chance that the drains tubes for the sun roof have come off of the sun roof. Drop the front of the head liner down a bit to see if you can see in far enough to see if the hoses are off.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:20 PM   #3
scotted73
Advanced Member
scotted73 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Do you have a sunroof?. If so, the drain lines may be clogged.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scotted73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scotted73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scotted73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:23 PM   #4
Vorzer
Vorzer is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

This is going to sound strange, but it happened to me:

I gave my 04 VUE a thorough waxing with turtle wax one day, and thereafter noticed that if it was raining very heavily, my drivers side door seal would drizzle from the top. It drove me nuts until I discovered the problem: some wax residue had been smeared on the seal. It was not even really visible, but i could feel it with my fingers. I scrubbed it off, and it never leaked again. Wierd.

Moral of the story: check for contaminants on your seals! Oil, grease, anything that could compromise its water-proof-ness.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vorzer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vorzer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vorzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:23 PM   #5
wrg813
wrg813 is on a distinguished road

What they said about the sunroof. Also, is the vehicle equipped with roof rails and, if so, have they been moved or adjusted recently?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wrg813's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wrg813 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wrg813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:38 PM   #6
Vorzer
Vorzer is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Mmm, yes, sunroof drain. Those dinky things aren't hoseclamped or anything, they're just press-on and could conceivably pop off. Kudos to the other guys for thinking of that. I wouldn't even have considered it, because, well I've never owned a car with a sunroof.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vorzer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vorzer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vorzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:59 AM   #7
GearGuy
Advanced Member
GearGuy is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

I know someone else around here posted that they found water coming in through their door speaker hole that was not sealed properly after an aftermarket install.

2006 Vue 3.5L FWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GearGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GearGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GearGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 08:57 PM   #8
pgreen
pgreen is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

If it's not the sunroof drain tubes, call around to some shops. Some shops have an ultrasonic transmitter that goes inside the car, then a small "sniffer" that can be used around windows, doors, etc. to help find the leak. It's a relatively quick and easy test if you have the equipment.

Phil

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pgreen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pgreen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 04:35 PM   #9
bigc791
Advanced Member
bigc791 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

The Hvac cases on the old vues dont have a seal for the case halves. They build up with water when the a/c is on leak. Do you have the defroster on when it happens? If so all the moisture in the air will end up in that case.
Carmen

1998 2.4L swapped Plymouth neon is my ride.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigc791's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigc791 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigc791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:37 PM   #10
MarkLVue
MarkLVue is on a distinguished road

Been a while since I've been on the board but I had a similar problem with my 03. At times both passenger and driver side would be wet. Saturn could not replicate the problem--they even sprayed water on the car for a few hours and ran it though a car wash, both times no leak.

Because they could not replicate the problem, they would not do anything more like taking the dash apart. It seemed to happen intermittently--after five or so attempts to have them repair the problem, I took it to another dealership when the floor was wet and told the service manager that I was fed up with the run around and that if they needed to dismantle the car to find the problem, I expected them to stand behind their cars. They reviewed the service records and relented--even though it was against their service protocol. Only by taking apart the dash did they find that there was a bad seal on part of the air conditioner, which allowed water to leak in the passenger compartment. There was a Technical Service Bulletin for '02 models, but my car was an early model '03, so they did not suspect this was the problem. They resealed the air conditioner unit and the leaking stopped. They even replaced all of my carpeting (which had gotten moldy) for free!. This was not the end of the problem, though, the seal leaked again after a month or two. I took it back again, and this time they took it apart and said that the glue had not been allowed to set, so it separated. The second fix has been fine and no further problems have occurred. Like you, I thought the water was rain leaking into the car, but later realized that the leaking occurred on very humid days and on rainy days, times when I ran the air conditioner. So it wasn't really the rain. Based on my experience I doubt that it is the sunroof, especially since this problem was well documented for the '02 model VUE.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MarkLVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MarkLVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MarkLVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:49 AM   #11
glennn
glennn is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

After spending hundreds at the dealer - there are 4 sunroof drains 2 in the front pillars that drain in front of the doors and 2 that run in the back rear door pillars that drain behind the doors. The dealer blew them out with compressed air, then replaced two. Still leaked.

In my 2005 Vue I had a water leak on the passenger side - after spending hundreds at the dealer for them to look at the sunroof drains - I lifted the carpet to find the water coming from the hump (center of the vehicle) {compared to the sunroof drains are on the outsides/kick panels/by the doors}.

With a little searching I found the large grommet on the firewall in the engine compartment just to the passenger side of center with a cable run through it. I siliconed the grommet and where the cable goes through - so far so good.

With the carpet lifted I also sprayed/saturated the underside/padding with Lysol to kill mold/mildew letting it all dry out too. You have to make sure under the carpet you get under the firewall padding that has the rubber'ish top to it. When in doubt follow the metal floor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to glennn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help glennn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
glennn is offline   Reply With Quote