SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2006, 08:52 PM   #1
rg567
rg567 is on a distinguished road

Default I hit a curb now car vibrates (even after having wheels balanced)

I did some searching but I can't seem to find anything thats helping.....

I hit a curb in the snow the other day. I slid into it perfect hitting both pass. side tires at about the same time. It wasn't a terribly hard hit, just enough to stop the car, maybe 8-10mph. Both alum. wheels are scratched up around the wheel lip but thats it. Anyway, I've got this highway speed vibration now that I can't figure out. I had the wheels/tires balanced but they were dead nuts on. I swapped pass side wheels with a buddy who has the same car but that didn't help either. The car tracks straight and drives like it always did. Now it seems like the noise gets worse when loading the pass side tires by turning left. I'm lost... I hate to go get an alignment if thats not going to cure the problem or worse, if I've got to replace suspention parts, then I'll need another alignment anyway. Can anyone help me figure this one out???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rg567's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rg567 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rg567 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2006, 09:17 PM   #2
zPacKRat
zPacKRat is on a distinguished road

Default Re: I hit a curb now car vibrates (even after having wheels balanced)

I would have look under the car and check for any "bowing" in the engine cradle. If so you have bigger issues to think about. Also if you hit both tires equaly then the caster may be off and you will need an alignment.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zPacKRat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zPacKRat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zPacKRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:05 PM   #3
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

you may have tweaked a lower control arm bushing or something. or busted a wheel bearing.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:37 AM   #4
zPacKRat
zPacKRat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2
you may have tweaked a lower control arm bushing or something. or busted a wheel bearing.
RE: the wheel bearing, do you get a wiiiiring noise that increases as you speed up?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zPacKRat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zPacKRat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zPacKRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:52 AM   #5
DukeCitySC2
DukeCitySC2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
1993 SC2

Look at the car from the front with the wheels pointed straight ahead. Compare how the right front looks to the way the left front looks. Both should be about vertical. I doubt you'd damage a wheel bearing this way, but you could have bent the lower control arm or even the tie rod enough to change camber or toe-in, as pointed out above. That would make the tire noisy as it wears out (rapidly). Definitely needs to be checked out soon!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DukeCitySC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DukeCitySC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DukeCitySC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:17 AM   #6
JADEDSL2
JADEDSL2 will become famous soon enough

Location: Sullivan, Missouri, USA, North America, Northern West Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Left Galactic Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Galactic Cluster, Universe

1993 SL2
1991 SL2

I garauntee you that you bent a control arm. I know. I hit a curb once, and I did. They're frail. They bend easy. It's also an easy fix. And furthermore, getting your wheels balanced will have jack to do with fixing your problem. You need to at VERY least get an alignment. Probably need the control arm, like I said before. Get it looked at Immediately!

"1G8ZJ5472MZ134321"-my Jaded, I will never forget.
"1G8ZF5594PZ249184"-Trinity, for three are now one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JADEDSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JADEDSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JADEDSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:52 PM   #7
rg567

Thanks for all the responses. I replaced the wheel bearing in my tbird and this isn't the same sound, but it does seem to increase with load like a bum wheel bearing would. The reason I had the wheels balanced is I figured maybe I bent one a little bit, the vibration really feels like a off balance tire. Plus I know the tire guy so it didn't cost me anything

Jared(or anyone else):Would a bent control arm cause a high speed vibration?
I guess my main question is: has anyone had a vibration fixed by getting an alignment?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help rg567 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-18-2006, 02:39 PM   #8
JADEDSL2

Location: Sullivan, Missouri, USA, North America, Northern West Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Left Galactic Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Galactic Cluster, Universe

1993 SL2
1991 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg567
Thanks for all the responses. I replaced the wheel bearing in my tbird and this isn't the same sound, but it does seem to increase with load like a bum wheel bearing would. The reason I had the wheels balanced is I figured maybe I bent one a little bit, the vibration really feels like a off balance tire. Plus I know the tire guy so it didn't cost me anything

Jared(or anyone else):Would a bent control arm cause a high speed vibration?
I guess my main question is: has anyone had a vibration fixed by getting an alignment?
Uh, yeah, it would. In fact, it probably would cause a vibration at low speeds even. If the control arm is bent, the wheel will look out of place. Turn the steering wheel straight, and then go to the front of the car. See if your wheels look like this.... l l in relation to each other or this..../ \ or this....\ /. if it's either of the second two, it's a control arm. If not, it's probably the wheel, or maybe the tire itself. At very least, have your suspension looked at by a pro, and see what you need. If not a control arm, at least get an alignment. Any jarring like that can cause the alignment to go bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JADEDSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-18-2006, 05:52 PM   #9
jjsk8r85
Advanced Member
jjsk8r85 is on a distinguished road

1992 SC

I did the same exact thing, and found that I had bent the rear passenger side hub, and replaced that, fixed the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jjsk8r85's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jjsk8r85 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jjsk8r85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:00 PM   #10
JADEDSL2

1993 SL2
1991 SL2

Come to think of it, you may have had the "privilege" of bending your hubs. I'd get that checked out too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-18-2006, 06:39 PM   #11
rg567

Anyone know the runout spec for the hubs???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-18-2006, 06:41 PM   #12
JADEDSL2

1993 SL2
1991 SL2

Quote:
Anyone know the runout spec for the hubs???
Not off hand. Maybe somebody does though. See if you can search for it, maybe it's been brought up before.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-18-2006, 07:06 PM   #13
itsmesillybubba
itsmesillybubba is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I did the exact same thing last week!.....bent the rim pretty bad....replaced it. Just got my mechanic buddy to look at it for me tonight....nothing looks bent to him.....Get it aligned...they will be able to tell you if anything is bent.....but be careful....some may try and get you to purchase parts that are not needed....make them point the stuff out to you.

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth.
My 95 SL1 is gone :(

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to itsmesillybubba's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help itsmesillybubba reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
itsmesillybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:59 PM   #14
ratherbcamping
ratherbcamping is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

You might want to check you motor mounts as well. The impact could have damaged them.

Our Toys: 06 F250 V-10; 03 Liberty; 99 SL2, 5-speed; 89 Cherokee 4x4, 5-speed, 3" lift (beach toy)

Kids Toys: 2000 SL1, auto; 95 Wrangler with overaxle lift.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ratherbcamping's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ratherbcamping reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ratherbcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:02 PM   #15
rg567

bump Just looking for more suggestions...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-19-2006, 02:42 PM   #16
abkaiser
abkaiser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
bump Just looking for more suggestions...
I had the exact same situation happen to me last year. Problems that caused the vibration were a bent wheel, bent control arm, and messed up bearings. All beause I tried doing a 180 in the snow to turn around. Felt pretty stupid after that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to abkaiser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help abkaiser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
abkaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 03:09 PM   #17
itsmesillybubba
itsmesillybubba is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by abkaiser
I had the exact same situation happen to me last year. Problems that caused the vibration were a bent wheel, bent control arm, and messed up bearings. All beause I tried doing a 180 in the snow to turn around. Felt pretty stupid after that.

Is your last name Duke?

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth.
My 95 SL1 is gone :(

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to itsmesillybubba's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help itsmesillybubba reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
itsmesillybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 03:41 PM   #18
abkaiser
abkaiser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmesillybubba
Is your last name Duke?
Heh... No.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to abkaiser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help abkaiser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
abkaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:14 PM   #19
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmesillybubba
Is your last name Duke?
It never snowed in Hazzard County!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:45 PM   #20
rg567

Update.................
After checking into this a little more, I found the rear pass. side hub to be bent. Runout was .013". I replaced the hub and shes good as new. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!