SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2006, 02:30 PM   #1
paulygon
paulygon is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
Dizzy URGENT: Key stuck

Okay, so I was messing around in my buddy's SL2, which is almost exactly the same as mine except of a lower trim level. Anyways, my key works to open his doors. So we tried to use my key to start his car. We put the key in, turned, and vwalla! it started. Turn the car off. Oh crap, the key doesn't come out. We tried forcing it. We tried jiggling it. We tried moving the steering wheel around. Nothing. It's damn stuck. I need some ideas on how to get it out. He obviously can drive the car, and I've got a couple spares for my own, but having a key stuck in the ignition is not such a good thing. I suggested he take the fuel pump fuse out anytime he has to leave his car for a longish time. What should we do???

His car is a 95 SL2 Manual with the trim level that doesn't even have power locks
My car is a 95 SL2 Automatic with ALL the options (leather/sun/traction/alloy wheels/etc).

Thanks in advance!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulygon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulygon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paulygon is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2006, 02:53 PM   #2
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: URGENT: Key stuck

that sux, man. Just keep trying to Jiggle it out. I've gotten a few stuck keys out of ignitions with a little perseverence. Maybe try some lubricant spray like a dry graphite, but it gets messy that way. Otherwise, get a new ignition cylinder. Any other course of action would just be silly.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:01 PM   #3
paulygon

1995 SL2

Okay, Matt just called me. After driving around for a while, the key just came out on its own. Thanks though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help paulygon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-16-2006, 03:05 PM   #4
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

GOOD STUFF

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-16-2006, 03:26 PM   #5
Swizelman45
Advanced Member
Swizelman45 is on a distinguished road

i find this to be very funny, yet scary at the same time.

Current Vehicles:
2003 Acura 3.2CL
2000 Saturn SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Swizelman45's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Swizelman45 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Swizelman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:33 PM   #6
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swizelman45
You think so. From what I've read on here a worn key from any pre-98 Saturn can open and start any other pre-98 Saturn.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:35 PM   #7
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Yup, my 93 SL2 key can open the door and turn the ignition of my friend's 93 SC2.
His key can do the same to my car.
I also tried my car on a bunch of junkyard cars, I can opened about 6-7 of them. But by then, I lost interested of trying more cars..

85 GLH 290whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215679
94 855 389xxx miles and climbing.
00 Insight 50mpg++

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:53 PM   #8
itsmesillybubba
itsmesillybubba is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Hmmmmm if I was a theif I could have a lot of fun with this.....damn me and my morals

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth.
My 95 SL1 is gone :(

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to itsmesillybubba's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help itsmesillybubba reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
itsmesillybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:22 PM   #9
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Morals be damned.
Anyway this is not a phenominon unique to Saturns by any means. Anyone ever owned an S-10? Who even needs keys, I didn't. It's extremely common in most Manufacturers, yes the Japanese too. Except Germans I think, but I don't know enough bimmer drivers to know for sure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Old 01-16-2006, 04:38 PM   #10
paulygon

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy
Morals be damned.
Anyway this is not a phenominon unique to Saturns by any means. Anyone ever owned an S-10? Who even needs keys, I didn't. It's extremely common in most Manufacturers, yes the Japanese too. Except Germans I think, but I don't know enough bimmer drivers to know for sure.
bmws are german? wha?? i thought they were british

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swizelman45
yah, the whole situation was pretty hilarious. we probably would have been really worried about it if we hadn't been lauging so much. i would try this again in other cars, but i dont want to get stuck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-16-2006, 05:47 PM   #11
JarredW
JarredW is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

no BMW is a german car. it stands for Bavarian Motor Works.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JarredW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JarredW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JarredW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:38 PM   #12
itsmesillybubba
itsmesillybubba is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I had a 87 pontiac 6000 that you could start without a key.....couldnt shut it off but you could start it....and take the key out when it was running....

Wait a min....I forgot...I can take the key out of my SL1 with the motor running....nice for those cold mornings at the mail box..I dont have to shut off my car

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth.
My 95 SL1 is gone :(

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to itsmesillybubba's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help itsmesillybubba reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
itsmesillybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:52 PM   #13
Worknclassbug
Worknclassbug is on a distinguished road

So I guess all of them have crappy key/lock setups. I can take my key out with it running too. I've not tried any other satty locks though. I have 3 guys I work with that own Saturns. Sounds like a good practical joke in the works...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Worknclassbug's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Worknclassbug reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Worknclassbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:20 PM   #14
daisuke
daisuke is on a distinguished road

most german cars have weird keys with a chip built into them if you drop the key and the chip falls out... you can't start the car, my sister found this out with my parent's VW passat, the she nearly totalled the car about 3 weeks later. A replacement key costs around 80 bucks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daisuke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daisuke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daisuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:14 AM   #15
JS593
JS593 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1

I love my alarm... consideringh there are alot of 95-97 saturns around... you never know who is going to take your car now these days.

92 SL1 SOHC TBI
Custom intake
Alpine deck, speakers, amp
JBL Sub
Ultimate amp
Volometer gauge mounted in dash
Magnaflow exhaust
....DEAD.... Car towed away Jan 18 2007. RIP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JS593's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JS593 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JS593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:01 AM   #16
paulygon

1995 SL2

^
If nothing else, this experience has persuaded me to buy an alarm system!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-17-2006, 11:30 AM   #17
JADEDSL2
JADEDSL2 will become famous soon enough

Location: Sullivan, Missouri, USA, North America, Northern West Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Left Galactic Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Galactic Cluster, Universe

1993 SL2
1991 SL2

Where I live, you could leave a first gen Satty running, with the door open in a parking lot for 8 hours, and no one would touch it, let alone take it. Of course, they're probably thinking it's got a bomb in it, but hey.....

"1G8ZJ5472MZ134321"-my Jaded, I will never forget.
"1G8ZF5594PZ249184"-Trinity, for three are now one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JADEDSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JADEDSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JADEDSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote