SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2005, 11:27 PM   #1
mbonifield04
mbonifield04 is on a distinguished road

Attention Keyless Entry Won't Unlock The doors

I have a 2000 Saturn LS, 2.2L with factory keyless entry and the keyless entry remotes(both that i have) won't unlock the doors nemore....it will lock them still but not unlock them...i've tried putting new batteries in them, but they both dont work....so the alarm goes off constanly and I never can turn it off...maybe once in a blue moon the keyless entry will unlock the door, but rarely happens

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mbonifield04's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mbonifield04 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mbonifield04 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2005, 02:25 AM   #2
insaneboi
insaneboi is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: Keyless Entry Won't Unlock The doors

Look in your owners manual for the correct procedure, but there is a way to re-sync the remotes. I believe it entails something similar to pressing both the lock and the unlock buttons at the same time. You might need the key in the ignition or something when re-syncing the remotes.

'00 LW2 81k
'93 Ranger 122k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to insaneboi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help insaneboi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
insaneboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:29 AM   #3
2001L300
2001L300 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I don't think owners can resync the remotes. I think a Tech-II device is needed -- check with your dealer. If you are forced to use the key to unlock the doors, all you have to do is quickly put the key in the ignition and turn it at least to ACC and the alarm won't go off.

2001 L300

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2001L300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2001L300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2001L300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 09:53 AM   #4
jessy0780
jessy0780 is on a distinguished road

The same thing happened to me- the alarm kept going off and the keyless entry wouldn't work. Turned out my computer was going bad. Had to have it replaced,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jessy0780's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jessy0780 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jessy0780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 12:34 PM   #5
insaneboi
insaneboi is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

You do need a tech II to program a remote, but I remember reading in the manual that there is something to do to re-sync an already programmed remote.

The way I remember it, when you use the remote, the remote sends its signature, then a coded number. If that coded number gets off or you replace the battery, then you need to resync that number to the cars system. How exactly this works I don't know, but the idea behind it was to prevent someone from recording the output of your remote then playing it back to dis-arm your alarm. Then again, I could be thinking back to my old SW2.

'00 LW2 81k
'93 Ranger 122k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to insaneboi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help insaneboi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
insaneboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 03:41 PM   #6
Lafarga
Lafarga is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 ION-3 Sedan

You could try popping it apart and cleaning it with alcohol. When mine start to get unresponsive, cleaning them usually works.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lafarga's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lafarga reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lafarga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 11:13 PM   #7
ozdarkangel
ozdarkangel is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Sometimes with my SL2 the keyless entry would become difficult, and the way I was told to fix it was to reprogram my remote. My tech at Saturn said to hold the "lock" and "unlock" buttons down at the same time while pointing it at your saturn, just for a few seconds and the car's horn should beep to let you know if it was successful. This fixed my problem and saved me from having to buy another remote ^___~* good luck!

~*Dark Angel*~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ozdarkangel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ozdarkangel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ozdarkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:04 AM   #8
Mediate
Mediate is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Mine quit working too ...my local tech said it is a Dealer fix...so, $26 later they said, "Sorry, looks like your BCM (Body Control Module - one of three computers) is bad...just happen to have one in stock, $327 for parts and we'll credit what you just paid towards labor, just add $60 more. Well I was born in the morning but it was not yesterday morning and i am not paying almost $400 to have a key thingy unlock my doors! sigh...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mediate's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mediate reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mediate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:22 AM   #9
saturnls2
saturnls2 is on a distinguished road

I also encountered once. Fortunately, just replaced a battery (CR2032) for the transmitter and re-sync it, and then it works.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnls2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnls2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:26 AM   #10
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Snap the module apart. Remove the battery.

Clean contacts and battery terminals with a Q-tip soaked in alcohol. Be careful in not getting alcohol on any plastic parts. Snap unit back together.

Should work for another week or two.
Repeat process.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 10:41 AM   #11
Mediate
Mediate is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

...as for me...BTDT! all to no avail. Changing the battery and re-sync'ing should do the trick if the BCM is functioning normally...in my case with the the BCM bad and even with the Tech-2 doing the syncing, it signfies that reprogramming was successfull, until it is unplugged and tested...it mystified the dealer tech till he tested the BCM and found that part of the component module bad.

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for mankind"
Horace Mann, Founder
Antioch College Ohio

'03 LW300, rock solid, 109,000 and still going!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mediate's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mediate reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mediate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 10:47 AM   #12
Kevin94SL
Kevin94SL is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkle bik
Snap the module apart. Remove the battery.

Clean contacts and battery terminals with a Q-tip soaked in alcohol. Be careful in not getting alcohol on any plastic parts. Snap unit back together.

Should work for another week or two.
Repeat process.
^^^^^

What he said.

Kevin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kevin94SL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kevin94SL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kevin94SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 05:11 PM   #13
SaturnTech84
SaturnTech84 is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1994 SC2

there is a tech builiten for the rke att relocate i hade the same prob with my 00ls2
RKE Poor Transmitter Range #01-T-32 - (Jan 2, 2003)
heres the tech bulliten number for the poor rke range
i can send you the whole thing if any one wants
email saturnfan84@Aol.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnTech84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnTech84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnTech84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:22 AM   #14
Hoyt Park
Hoyt Park is on a distinguished road

cleaning up the interior of the keyless remote is a good idea.
We had good luck with our 1997 SL2 remote. You may find value in some of the display photos. It is a fairly easy process.
We present the procedure at:

http://Hoytpark.googlepages.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hoyt Park's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hoyt Park reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hoyt Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:22 PM   #15
born again
born again will become famous soon enough

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

This also works with TV remotes and calculators.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:14 PM   #16
dolph72
dolph72 is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2
Dazed Re: Keyless Entry Won't Unlock The doors

I have an 1999 SW2 and have recently come into the same problem. At first I replaced the battery and noticed it was quite moist inside so I dried it out for a while. After a few weeks more keyless entry problems have occured such as the keyless will lock but will not unlock unless I take it apart and clean the metal connectors. Is this the sign of a bad battery or bad entry box or could it be something even worse?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dolph72's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dolph72 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dolph72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:59 AM   #17
Crapshoot
Crapshoot is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1991 SC

dolph72,
Quote:
noticed it was quite moist inside
If you are getting moisture in the unit that is the problem.
You need to keep the unit dry. Have you spilled soda or other drinks on the unit? Soda is death on the contacts and electronics in remote units.
I clean the contacts and battery terminals with a Q-tip moistened with a very small amount of alcohol and let dry before installing a new battery. Be careful when cleaning the bottom of the little rubber pads that contact the metal part of the switch pad assembly, if you remove the conductive paint on the bottom of the rubber the switch will not work. If the conductive paint is very thin or gone you can find sources of conductive paint for use on remote key pads on the net. I find the replacement conductive paint is not as long lasting as the original, so be careful. Try to find out how you are getting moisture inside the unit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Crapshoot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Crapshoot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:09 AM   #18
dolph72
dolph72 is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
dolph72,

If you are getting moisture in the unit that is the problem.
You need to keep the unit dry. Have you spilled soda or other drinks on the unit? Soda is death on the contacts and electronics in remote units.
I clean the contacts and battery terminals with a Q-tip moistened with a very small amount of alcohol and let dry before installing a new battery. Be careful when cleaning the bottom of the little rubber pads that contact the metal part of the switch pad assembly, if you remove the conductive paint on the bottom of the rubber the switch will not work. If the conductive paint is very thin or gone you can find sources of conductive paint for use on remote key pads on the net. I find the replacement conductive paint is not as long lasting as the original, so be careful. Try to find out how you are getting moisture inside the unit.
I have a 2 year old so everything seems to get wet at some point or another. Where would I look into getting some conductive paints? I dont think I have ever come across any in my various shopping ventures.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dolph72's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dolph72 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dolph72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:44 AM   #19
Crapshoot
Crapshoot is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1991 SC

dolph72,
Most likely you don't need to reapply paint. I find this is only need on rubber keypads that have been cleaned many times. I have a bottle of the paint that is around 10 years old. Very little of the paint is needed to coat the rubber pads, if paint is applied too thick it will crack and fall apart. I don't recall the place I got it from. Search on electronic parts stores websites.
I repair (clean) many TV and other consumer electronic remotes. I believe after the rubber switch membrane is used many times it may develop micro cracks or holes that allow moisture to enter into the switch contract area off your finger tips. If you have repeated problems you may have to replace the complete unit.
Also if you have spilled soda inside the unit all the soda needs to be removed from all surfaces in the remote. The soda residue will draw moisture and corrode the metal contacts and electronics. Clean carefully and dry very well before installing battery.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Crapshoot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Crapshoot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #20
willib
willib is on a distinguished road

I thought i would add my fix for this factory keyless entry problem.
Mine too would only lock the door but not unlock it.
Picture 001.jpg
I noticed that the tongs on the battery connection were all mashed down from use.
Picture 004.jpg
So i used a sharp knife to bend them back up thus making good contact with the battery.
Picture 005.jpg

It worked like a charm , so now the doors lock and unlock as before .
I hope this will help someone else with the same problem.

Last edited by willib; 04-22-2012 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: better understandability

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to willib's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help willib reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
willib is offline   Reply With Quote