SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2005, 08:50 PM   #1
boredatty766
boredatty766 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1
2003 ION-2 Sedan
Default How do I replace a positive battery cable?

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum, but this is my first post.

I recently started having problems with my 1999 SL1 not starting. I found that the problem was with corrosion on the positive battery cable. I cleaned it as best as I could and this seemed to fix the problem. However, after about three weeks, the corrosion had returned and the problems starting the car arose again.

I think I may need to replace both the battery (a Delco, and I read about all the problems with them) and the battery cable (as it seems the corrosion has gotten into the wires running to the fusebox). I know how to replace the battery but have never replaced a battery cable before.

Can anyone help me with this as I want to go DIY to save some money?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to boredatty766's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help boredatty766 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
boredatty766 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2005, 10:11 PM   #2
sl2collector
sl2collector is on a distinguished road

Default Re: How do I replace a positive battery cable?

have you tried any anti corrosive stuff? that red stuff i forget what it's called.
or is it already to bad for that? is it possible you battery is somehow venting to create such bad corrosion?in any case, it's not that big a job, I don't know parts cost. just make sure to completly dissconnect the batt before doing anything!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sl2collector's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sl2collector reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sl2collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:51 PM   #3
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

The positive cable only goes two places. One is to the under hood fuse/relay box, the other is to the starter. It is a single assembly that "Y"s off with the short smaller wire going from the battery to the fuse/relay box, the other wire, the larger and longer goes to the starter. You simply disconnect it from the battery, the fuse/relay box and go under the car and disconnect the other end from the starter. Installation is reverse. I would disconnect the ground (-) cable first from the battery to prevent any accidental shorts with the wrench.

I don't know about the effectivity for your particular year but I do know that NAPA sells a direct replacement positive battery cable for early "S" series cars. Another member of this board, "Spazie", had one fail on her Gen 1 SC-2 and the local dealer did not have one in stock and we got one from NAPA.

1999 SC-2 280,000 miles -mine now also dead, RIP
1995 SL-2 296,000 miles - my wifes totaled, RIP
1993 Chevrolet S-10 Pick-up - mine
2003 Harley Davidson Low Rider - mine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 03:02 PM   #4
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

The cable's not that hard to replace, but that may not be the root problem. The battery must be leaking on it to cause it to corrode that quickly. There are some washer things, I don't know what they're called, to protect against this. I would think most parts stores would have them.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote