SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2005, 07:32 PM   #1
Planatary Ion
Planatary Ion is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up Newbie dedicated to loving Saturn...lock cylinder: mechanic or personal replacement?

Hi all! I've been browsing this forum for awhile and finally decided to join. One of the reason's is that, as of last week, I now own my very own, manual 99' Saturn SL. This is the first car I've been able to buy on my own without my mother... LoL. And this one's all mine, not my husband's!!!!
I bought it from a Lot "as is". And it looks as if the poor little car has somehow been lightly abused. (Still waiting for his? her? name to reveal itself). Therefore, I am going to endeavor to give the best care this car's ever had!!!
Anyways, the key the dealer gave me was bent slightly and wore way down and I went to Saturn South East in the Central Ohio area and purchased a new one. The man behind the desk said it was rare to see a key as wore down as this one was.
Now, I don't have to struggle to get the key to start the car. Although, the new key is feeling a little shy about leaving the cylinder. New key is sticking in the cylinder and when I try to remove it, it's already getting all scratched up. The cylinder itself also seems to be having minor problems in the turning process.

I can't wait to start taking really good care of this car, but it's a slow monetary process for me, so I'm wondering, should I attempt to replace the cylinder myself or just give up and go to a mechanic.

Plus I'm a newbie owner so if anyone has any advice for me Please, Pls, I can be taught! I swear I'm teachable! I will be a dedicated and kind loving owner of my little Saturn (would it get mad at me calling it "little"?).
Thanks to all the entries here who started me on my new path to a fan of Saturn! NICE to Meet you/ Well Met!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Planatary Ion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Planatary Ion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Planatary Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2005, 07:41 PM   #2
justin_zink
justin_zink is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
Default Re: Newbie dedicated to loving Saturn...lock cylinder: mechanic or personal replacement?

Good to hear your dedicated, I would say that you should replace the lock cylinder yourself. i'm sure that it can't be too much harder than my 95, all I had to do on that was remove the outer trim panel and then from there it was just a couple of clips to undo. Also you want too check the oil regularly. If you take good car of a saturn then it will run for you for quite a while.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to justin_zink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help justin_zink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
justin_zink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 07:42 PM   #3
dansl2
Advanced Member
dansl2 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
Default Re: Newbie dedicated to loving Saturn...lock cylinder: mechanic or personal replaceme

Congratulations on your "new" Saturn & welcome to the board! Be sure to check & change the oil frequently , and she(?) will give you years of great service. Be sure to check out the "how to library" for a ton of VALUABLE tips & suggestions. As for the ignition, use some graphite spray (NOT silicone or WD 40 as that may leave a sticky residue & possibly make it worse). You can pick that up at any hardware, auto parts or locksmith store.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dansl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dansl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dansl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 07:59 PM   #4
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: Newbie dedicated to loving Saturn...lock cylinder: mechanic or personal replacement?

Welcome & congratulations.How exciting.Loved your first post. I think the same way about cars and have since a little kid.
The name will reveal itself, and my own 95 SL1 [ Austin Greenbean is his name] was purchased much the same way: from an independent lot in sort of scruffy condition.And it's been getting care it has not seen in years.
Try using a tube of graphite and blowing some into the ignition switch. They love to eat keys. Also good for your door and trunk locks. A harmless dry powdered lubricant. It will help it work better. I don't lock my steering wheel when I park either, but make sure my "Un'brake'able" security lock is hooked up to the brake pedal. Eventually the ignition switch will have to be replaced... but not today.
Watch your oil and coolant levels. They like their oil as well as chewing on keys, so keep it topped off.
Check the color of all your fluids: coolant, oil, steering, trans. If they're dark and used up looking, change them and start fresh. At least this way you KNOW they've been changed and start out fresh on your watch.
A Haynes manual would be good to have so you can see where everything is and what it does.
A Car Fax report run on your car's VIN # will tell you some of it's history and your local Saturn dealer will have a record of ANY service it might have had at a Saturn tech center, no matter where it was done. That will give you a bit of maintenance info you can use to plan your schedule of service. As well, Triple A [the auto club] offers an 89 point inspection at a discount [after rebate] that will give you some idea what needs work and what doesn't and the overall condition of your car.Another good way to find out what needs to be done so you can plan it on YOUR schedule [and wallet] rather than letting things blow at the worst possible time simply because you didn't know something was about to give out.
Hope that helps a little.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 08:30 PM   #5
PlumSL1
PlumSL1 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1997 SC2

Welcome and congrats on the car! I believe you've made a good choice. My Sc2's name is Newfie because after running a carfax I learned she was originally from newfoundland. I also bought it as is from a used car lot and it was pretty beat up. Fortunately I brought it back to and awesome condition.

NicK
--------------
08 Mazda3
00 Tiburon SE - Sold
96 SL2 - Sold
97 SC2 - Sold
94 SL1 - Driven till death R.I.P

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlumSL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlumSL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlumSL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 07:10 PM   #6
Planatary Ion
Planatary Ion is on a distinguished road

Thanks so much!! Nice to see there are other people out there that have the same attitude that I do when it comes to my car. And if anyone doesn't believe that their car doesn't have a personality (and a mind) of its own well, I'm just saying I don't think I'm crazy!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Planatary Ion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Planatary Ion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Planatary Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 11:50 PM   #7
jzack
jzack is on a distinguished road

Check what the dealer charges for just the parts plus the re-keying and installation vs. doing it yourself. Here in NJ - it worked out better just to take it over and have them do the whole thing. My son waited for maybe 1 hour tops.

Dealer had an extra labor charge for keying it -- versus that charge being covered within the labor charge for the full install.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jzack's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jzack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:05 PM   #8
DarrylLeeOHS30
Advanced Member
DarrylLeeOHS30 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
2001 SL2

You should install the new cylinder yourself. I thought it would be a hard time doing mine, and It was VERY easy. I thought it was gonna be hard and I did get mad but it was because I was overcomplicating it. It's not that big of a job and it would kinda be money down the drain if you spent that much in labor at the dealer. They wanted like twice what it costed me for the key cylinder its self for the labor cost. IF that makes sense. But anyway, welcome to the saturnfans forums and hope your car lasts you a long time!

-Darryl

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DarrylLeeOHS30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DarrylLeeOHS30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DarrylLeeOHS30 is offline   Reply With Quote