SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2001, 09:48 AM   #1
wei_
wei_ is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Lawsuit against Saturn?

Seems like a car has already been named "ION". Are automobile names trademarked internationally? I can't think of any duplicated names.

www.peugeot.ru/eng/innovat/ion.asp
Wei

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wei_'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wei_ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2001, 10:04 AM   #2
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

dunno. however peugeot made porsche rename what would have been the "901" into the 911.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-17-2001, 10:26 AM   #3
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

This whole nomenclature thing is a bit old. They had the SL Mercedes long before the SLx cars came out. They had the BMW 323 on the Euro market long before the Mazda 323 came out. They also had the 635 long before the 626 came out. The RX7 existed long before the RX300. Now names are different than numbers, but what is the bottom line? Lexus got sued by Lexis-Nexis when they started to use that name. Beretta sued GM over the use of Beretta, not sure if Robert Blake sued over the impingement on the Baretta name though...

It got so bad that they started to make names up so that they would not infringe on a name. Names like Denali and Alero & stuff like that are not real words, but sound neat.

GM will likely continue on with the ION. Plus, there is no telling how many names they already have a copyright to - kind of like cybersquatting - just namesquatting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-17-2001, 10:39 AM   #4
Harry
Advanced Member
Harry is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Arrow

Trademark laws differ from place to place. Intel lost when they tried to stop Cyrix, AMD, et al from using their 80286, 80486, 80486, et al product numbers. The ruling said that you can't trademark a number so in the US, at least, it looks like numbers alone can't be a mark of trade. You can trademark "Intel 80586" but I guess they didn't think that name was sufficiently distinctive. Hence, the Pentium name was born. The next version wasn't Hexium or Sexium I assume because Hexes and sex are marketing name no-no's (even though they use sex to sell everything including denture fixatives these days ).

Hewlett-Packard made a window management system called VUE. Since no one would ever confuse an SUV with an X11 xwm I don't think it was ever an issue, but two cars named the same might mean trouble. Like "Intel 80586" often they can get around this problem by trademarking "Saturn ION" instead of just "Ion" but then they'd have to use it that way. Also, I'm fairly sure that "Ion", "ion", "iON" and "ION" are different to a trademark court so they could probably find some usable version.

Oh well, I don't think ION is _that_ great a name anyway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Harry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Harry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-17-2001, 10:48 AM   #5
Plastic Gravity

Quote:
Originally posted by piney
It got so bad that they started to make names up so that they would not infringe on a name. Names like Denali and Alero & stuff like that are not real words, but sound neat.
Actually Piney, Denali is a real name. As in Denali national park, its in Alaska. Its also the indian name for Mount McKinley- which is inside Denali national park. I kinda like it...its a good name for a big, brawny SUV.

As long as were on the topic of made up names, ***** like Camry, celica, altima(cleary an intentional mispelling of Ultima) comes to mind.

You folks want a good laugh, check out what Prius means...its Latin, btw- I won't spoil the fun for you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Plastic Gravity's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Plastic Gravity reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 12-17-2001, 10:59 AM   #6
piney
Master Member

I was shooting from the hip on that Denali name. I know that there are names out there that HAL makes up, I just don't remember any at this point. I would say Nubria is not a word, but it may well be in whatever language the folks making it speak...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-17-2001, 10:59 AM   #7
haypops
haypops is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Plastic Gravity

You folks want a good laugh, check out what Prius means...its Latin, btw- I won't spoil the fun for you
Nova is spanish for no go

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to haypops's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help haypops reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-17-2001, 11:00 AM   #8
Jeff P
Jeff P is on a distinguished road

It has to do with how similar the two products are. Toyota was going to name the Tundra the T-150 until Ford sued them. Same with the Lincoln LS. It was going to be the LS8 and LS6, but Lexus sued them since it's too close to their naming convention.

jeff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jeff P's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jeff P reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-17-2001, 11:22 AM   #9
Plastic Gravity

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff P
It has to do with how similar the two products are. Toyota was going to name the Tundra the T-150 until Ford sued them. Same with the Lincoln LS. It was going to be the LS8 and LS6, but Lexus sued them since it's too close to their naming convention.

jeff
Chevy should have sued them first. LS6 is a corvette motor. I can see what happened to the LS, Ls1, LS2 now. Makes you wish Mitsu had put the screws to Lexus for the RX300.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Plastic Gravity reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 12-17-2001, 11:42 AM   #10
Harry
Advanced Member
Harry is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by Plastic Gravity

I can see what happened to the LS, Ls1, LS2 now.
Yeah, I see now that the "LS was changed due to confusion with SL" was probably a bunch of baloney.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Harry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Harry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-17-2001, 11:47 AM   #11
DBLW1
Advanced Member
DBLW1 is on a distinguished road

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Corvette LS6 motor came out in the early to mid nineties? If that was so, then the Lexus LS400 would've came had the right of way since that model was introduced in late 1989. Either way, I don't think alphanumeric numbers dispute would hold for a car vs a motor designation.

I don't know how this ION name dispute will span, since the Peugeot ION isn't sold in the US. But I do remember Microsoft was starting to tout its XBox early this year and was in the midst of a multimillion dollar marketing, until a computer company came forward and said they already had a trademark XBox computer being sold. Microsoft had to buy out their XBox name because they would've lost the lawsuit if they went to court.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DBLW1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DBLW1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-17-2001, 11:53 AM   #12
L300Boy
Master Member
L300Boy is on a distinguished road

How about the "Lancer" from Mitsu? Remember the Dodge Lancer? I guess the question is, who would ever want to take on that name (and its horrible reliability reputation)?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L300Boy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L300Boy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-17-2001, 12:26 PM   #13
piney
Master Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DBLW1
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Corvette LS6 motor came out in the early to mid nineties
http://www.factorymuscle.com/cars/70LS6.html

The LS-6 was probably around before you were (I'm assuming that you are young if you don't remenber the LS-6 Chevelle.) A friend of the family has a 1970 LS6 Chevelle - out and out nasty car - faster and wilder than a hungry street-walker. (A figure of speech.)

Anyhow, the LS-6 was around when Toyota was still on its first generation Corolla.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2001, 12:33 PM   #14
GoKyu L300
GoKyu L300 is on a distinguished road

Happy

"Camry" isn't just a made up name - It comes from the word "kamuri" in Japanese, which means "crown". It's just a transliteration into English is all.

-Bryan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GoKyu L300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GoKyu L300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-17-2001, 01:03 PM   #15
saturnotaku
saturnotaku is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by piney
I know that there are names out there that HAL makes up, I just don't remember any at this point. I would say Nubria is not a word, but it may well be in whatever language the folks making it speak...
You talking about the HAL of 2001: A Space Odyssey fame? If so, HAL is just IBM, only each letter is the previous one before it in the alphabet.

And I looked up Prius in a Latin dictionary and all I have to say is HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Now that's amusing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnotaku's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnotaku reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-17-2001, 02:01 PM   #16
Plastic Gravity

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku

You talking about the HAL of 2001: A Space Odyssey fame? If so, HAL is just IBM, only each letter is the previous one before it in the alphabet.

And I looked up Prius in a Latin dictionary and all I have to say is HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Now that's amusing.
As a fan of 2001, I'm ashamed to admit I didn't know that one I just watched that the other night on DVD. We recently got a 61" HDTV--it was fabulous to just admire the detail that went into the movies lavish sets and models. Space:1999 is of the same vien, but its sets were obviously built for TV work.

What a hoot, eh?

The Prius thing was hilarious, wasn't it? That should be more widely published.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2001, 03:33 PM   #17
L300Boy
Master Member
L300Boy is on a distinguished road

Care to share with those who arent latin inclined? ;-)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L300Boy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L300Boy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-17-2001, 04:37 PM   #18
Russ Bellinis
Russ Bellinis is on a distinguished road

LS6 on the Vette is not a trade marked name, so there is no infringement. I don't think you'll find a "LS6" badge on a Vette anywhere. LS6 is just a rpo code designating a particular engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russ Bellinis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russ Bellinis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-17-2001, 10:17 PM   #19
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L
Happy

piney- I am glad to see that someone else is either old enough (or at least has enough appreciation of "ancient" history) to remember the Chevelle LS-6. I guess it was necessary but pollution and environmental regulations killed factory production of this and similar cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-18-2001, 12:20 PM   #20
Pete93SL1M
Pete93SL1M is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by L300Boy
Care to share with those who arent latin inclined? ;-)
Ditto,
the only definitions I found were "previous" or "prior" Link us to the funny one?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pete93SL1M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pete93SL1M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread