SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2005, 05:10 PM   #1
greyshep
greyshep is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default BCM replacement on a 2002 L200

Hey there.

A week ago my 2002 L200 (4cyl, 80,000km) started making a weird buzzing noise accompanied by all my running lights turning on by themselves.

As soon as I opened the door or used my keyless entry fob it would return to normal. However I discovered my driver door lock would no longer function. I had to manually force it in either direction to either lock or unlock the door

I took it into my Saturn dealer and they pulled the door off and diagnosed it as a faulty door lock actuator. 320 dollars later I was back on the road.

Well a day later I notice that my phantom lights are all on again. And low and behold my lock isnt working again. However no buzzing sound this time. I was able to manually lock/unlock the door without any resistance this time.

So back to the dealership I go. They figure it is a faulty actuator again. So they get the part flown in and replace it again, however the car pulls the phantom light game on them about 5 minutes prior to me picking it up. They suggest keeping it overnight so that they can diagnose the source of this issue. They suspect a faulty BCM.

Well I get a call from them today suggesting that a BCM replacement is required. Another $400 (cdn) is being vacuumed from my wallet.

Firstly. Anyone experienced any similar problems? Second, is this a fair price to pay for a BCM replacement? I tried calling a local parts store here but it comes up as a dealer only item.

Finally has any other L series owners had problems with the rear tail light reflectors on the back of the trunk cracking? I have never been in a collision with the car but both sides near the edge of the trunk are forming cracks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greyshep's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greyshep reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2005, 12:13 AM   #2
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: BCM replacement on a 2002 L200

Run a search for BCM here... you will find a lot of issues.

Any dealer who deals with a lot of L's who is worth their salt will look towards the BCM at the first sign of lock, light, or RKE problems... regardless of what the troubleshooting flowcharts say - these things happen enough.

~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OhioVueBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 12:00 PM   #3
AnotherSaturn
AnotherSaturn is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe
1995 SW2

Sounds like that 400 cdn is a nice replacement price for a BCM from some of the prices I have seen on this sight. Consider asking they to reimburse you for the lock module or helping you out in someway for diagnosing the problem wrong?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AnotherSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AnotherSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AnotherSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 06:32 PM   #4
greyshep
greyshep is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherSaturn
Sounds like that 400 cdn is a nice replacement price for a BCM from some of the prices I have seen on this sight. Consider asking they to reimburse you for the lock module or helping you out in someway for diagnosing the problem wrong?
Yeah, I guess 400 is an ok price. But I dont like my chances of having the previous $328 bill reversed.

Actually I raised this issue with the service guy and he said it was all part of the problem. According to him the actuator was toast. I have a hard time believing him but really am pretty helpless as its their word vs. mine.

Thanks for the response though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greyshep's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greyshep reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 05:18 PM   #5
bigc791
Advanced Member
bigc791 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

The door lock actuators are just as common as BCM on L. Could have had issues with both. When the actuator starts to fail the lock will move really slow or not at all.
Carmen

1998 2.4L swapped Plymouth neon is my ride.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigc791's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigc791 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigc791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 12:25 PM   #6
danf
danf is on a distinguished road

When my service engine soon light started coming on at random times, and my speedometer and gas gauge stopped working, and my air bag light stayed on, etc etc, I took it in to Saturn of Eugene (Oregon) and they had to call Tennessee, or somewhere, in order to diagnose it as a BCM.

When the car was new, the power locks never worked as designed (locking automatically when the trans goes into gear) but I did not read the manual closely enough to catch it. So instead of warranty, I footed the bill myself.

Oh well. This was at around 55K. . .and other than the coolant problem I am dealing with right now, is the only non-maintenance repair I have done.

I DO have that creak in the steering, though, so I am fairly certain that this will come up in time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to danf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help danf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
danf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:29 PM   #7
SaturnTech84
SaturnTech84 is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1994 SC2

yea, L cars and the bcm dont mix we replace them all the time

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnTech84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnTech84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnTech84 is offline   Reply With Quote