SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2005, 10:34 PM   #1
56Shoebox
56Shoebox is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
1998 SL2
Question Induction noise on acceleration

I have a strange noise that occurs on moderate to hard acceleration. It sounds like a high-pitched whistle which I believe to be coming from something associated with air induction. The noise also sounds somewhat similar to the "air machine" sound that old restrictive exhaust sytems had. But I am almost certain it is coming from the engine compartment. It is on an 06 V6 AWD and has done it since new. The mileage is now about 2000. I have never heard this noise on any other V6 Vue I have driven including an 04 which I previously owned. There is also a small amount of vibration which can be felt in the first 2 gears as you get on it. Peformance-wise the vehicle runs great. Anyone experienced anything similar to this? Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 56Shoebox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 56Shoebox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
56Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2005, 06:43 PM   #2
sspeer
sspeer is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Induction noise on acceleration

Never had the problem...loose clamp somewhere?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sspeer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sspeer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sspeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 01:53 AM   #3
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

Hmm, usually I can hear a "whooossh" or sucking sound coming from the engine at moderate to high throttle levels, but thats because of the intake and exhaust I have on it.. Do you know where on the engine it is coming from? Possibly around the throttle body, or does it sound like it might be transmission related?

'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burnout's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burnout reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 02:05 AM   #4
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

I've driven some V6es before that have shuddered some in the lower gears.

The whistle definitely doesn't sound like something a stock vehicle would do.

I've never heard a debonged V6 VUE whistle, either but my 2.2 has a decently loud whistle over 4,000 RPM - enough to be heard inside the car as well as outside, especially with the windows down.

I'd get it checked out.

~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OhioVueBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 01:49 PM   #5
56Shoebox

2006 VUE 3.5L
1998 SL2

Nothing to report as of yet. The "whistle" sound remains unchanged. I had it at the dealer recently on another issue and asked the sevice manager to check out this problem. Of course when I picked up the vehicle he said he had a technician test drive it and heard nothing. Crazy, you can't miss it! When I have a chance, I'll take it back to the service dept and offer to take one of them for a drive myself. When I find out the cause, I'll post it here. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 56Shoebox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2005, 02:03 PM   #6
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

You might just not be used to hearing all of that raw power

'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burnout's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burnout reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:49 PM   #7
56Shoebox

2006 VUE 3.5L
1998 SL2

Had the dealer check out the whistle noise again and the service techs agreed the noise on acceleration was present and werre puzzled as to what the cause might be. They checked with GM and the feeling was that it was likely due to casting flash somewhere in the induction system that was causing the whistle as air rushed by. The consenus was that it was harmless and had no effect mechanically. I would also agree with that. The interesting thing was that the service tech test drove several other '06 3.5L Vues and he found that almost half of them had the same noise. They reported the findings to Saturn Engineering. So there could possibly be a TSB issued someday. Anyway, I'm satisifed that it's no big deal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!