SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2005, 01:03 PM   #1
whattavue
whattavue is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default 2007 Saturn Outlook

Do not see a forum yet for the Outlook so I am posting here for all the fellow Vue owners. Pics are pretty heavily disguised but I like what I can see. Seating for 7 and room under the hood for a V-8. Check out the link and if anyone has seen any pics of testing w/o the disguise please post!

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...5/preview.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to whattavue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help whattavue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
whattavue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2005, 07:43 PM   #2
Caprice
Advanced Member
Caprice is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2007 Saturn Outlook

Ugh.

The Outlook (and it's entire class of vehicles) is totaly not the answer. I don't mind 7 seater vehicles-they are called minivans-but the "status symbol" SUV is loony.

For Saturn's sake though, I hope it sells well.

~ Simplicity is Beauty.
"Who needs electronic locks and windows, power steering, or automatic sliding
doors if you can trade it all for a little excersise and some spare change?"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Caprice's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Caprice reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Caprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 11:01 PM   #3
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caprice
Ugh.

The Outlook (and it's entire class of vehicles) is totaly not the answer. I don't mind 7 seater vehicles-they are called minivans-but the "status symbol" SUV is loony.

Not the answer to what? If it's not what you want, don't buy it. If it has the same capabilities as a TrailBlazer and good looks and safety and is *reasonably* efficient and reliable, it may do pretty well. Sure, hopefully it will have some features to distinguish it from it's GM platform-mates, but I think there are probably quite a few people who would buy it. I think in the past there have been plenty of people who would have bought a Saturn, except for the fact that they didn't want or need an S-car or ION. Now that Saturn is actually having more than a couple of models, their overall appeal will expand accordingly.

I like the shape of it, from what I can see. No sense getting all worked up about it until we've got "90% production ready" models to gaze upon.

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 11:07 PM   #4
dirttysouth
dirttysouth is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

It menations the "Vue CUV" what's a CUV? Is this a typo? Does it mean Crossover Utitliy Vehicle?

Your friendly, neighborhood Vue customizer...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dirttysouth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dirttysouth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dirttysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 07:44 AM   #5
fatabbot
Advanced Member
fatabbot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirttysouth
Crossover Utitliy Vehicle?
Bingo....or something similar to that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fatabbot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fatabbot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fatabbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 07:46 AM   #6
fatabbot
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante
If it has the same capabilities as a TrailBlazer and good looks and safety and is *reasonably* efficient and reliable, it may do pretty well.
Well, it isn't a body-on-frame truck design like the Trailblazer. I doubt you'll see anywhere near the HP and towing/hauling capacity as the TB, but hopefully it will get better mileage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fatabbot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-23-2005, 07:46 AM   #7
2004NJVue
Advanced Member
2004NJVue is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
1996 SL2

Quote:
Ugh.

I have to agree with this statement.

Current: 2004 Saturn Vue V6 Awd (purchased new November 04) >130,000 Miles
1996 Saturn SL2 - 300,000 miles
Past Saturns: Ask me
Only live once, enjoy it!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2004NJVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2004NJVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2004NJVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:08 AM   #8
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Ugh.

So because it has swinging doors instead of sliding doors, you call it an SUV and hate it?

Really, what's the difference between the Outlook and a minivan? Or a Pacifica and a Town & Country?

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:03 AM   #9
SLAPSHOT
Advanced Member
SLAPSHOT is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

I don't think the Saturn Outlook has a very good "outlook". I think it'll be a nice looking vehicle, but I doubt it will sell well. I could be wrong though.

//SLAPSHOT//
05 VUE 2.2L 5 Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLAPSHOT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLAPSHOT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLAPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:38 AM   #10
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT
I don't think the Saturn Outlook has a very good "outlook". I think it'll be a nice looking vehicle, but I doubt it will sell well.
Why??

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:53 AM   #11
fatabbot
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb
Why??
For the same reason the Relay doesn't sell well. Saturn only survives because of a certain image, and larger, 7 passenger vehicles don't really fit in.

Saturn's strengths to me are small, efficient and practical cars. It's like Scion making a full-size SUV, doesn't make much sense. Especially within a parent company like GM that has many better brands to sell such a vehicle through.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2005, 10:55 AM   #12
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb
Why??
+1.
The Pacifica didn't have strong sales to start with due to the price. I'm not sure how it's doing now.
I don't know how the Freestyle is doing, but from what I see around here I'd say it's doing pretty well.
Hyundai is going to be putting out a crossover to this effect as well within the next couple years. This market is just getting started....

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 11:03 AM   #13
cdp326
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatabbot
For the same reason the Relay doesn't sell well. Saturn only survives because of a certain image, and larger, 7 passenger vehicles don't really fit in.
The reason for that is that Saturn is an unfamiliar name in the minivan market.

Quote:
Saturn's strengths to me are small, efficient and practical cars.
If this were the case, the S-Series would have been updated more often and Saturn would have been more successful in the compact market.

Quote:
It's like Scion making a full-size SUV, doesn't make much sense. Especially within a parent company like GM that has many better brands to sell such a vehicle through.
Scion is different though. When people want a larger car, they're supposed to move from a Scion to a Toyota-brand car. People don't necessarily want to move from a Saturn to a different GM brand car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-23-2005, 11:08 AM   #14
fatabbot
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp326
The reason for that is that Saturn is an unfamiliar name in the minivan market.

If this were the case, the S-Series would have been updated more often and Saturn would have been more successful in the compact market.

Scion is different though. When people want a larger car, they're supposed to move from a Scion to a Toyota-brand car. People don't necessarily want to move from a Saturn to a different GM brand car.
Yes, Saturn is unfamiliar in the minivan market, that sort of supports what I said initially The Relay has been out long enough to show up on the radar of minivan shoppers. It just doesn't because a.) Most people just don't want a Saturn minivan over other choices and b.) The Relay isn't really even competitive with other vans in the market.

Saturn's success in the compact market is the only reason they're still around.

Plenty of people would jump from a Saturn to another GM product. Regardless, I doubt GM really gives a crap. Saturn's market share is so pathetically low, they probably don't really care about those people cross-shopping GM brands.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2005, 11:09 AM   #15
haypops
haypops is on a distinguished road

I imagine it will be similar to a Honda Pilot just larger, more powerful, more luxurious, and more costly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to haypops's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help haypops reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
haypops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 11:11 AM   #16
fatabbot
Advanced Member

Quote:
+1.
The Pacifica didn't have strong sales to start with due to the price. I'm not sure how it's doing now.
I don't know how the Freestyle is doing, but from what I see around here I'd say it's doing pretty well.
Hyundai is going to be putting out a crossover to this effect as well within the next couple years. This market is just getting started....
Pacifica is still a sales dud.

The Freestyle's demise is already planned for the near future

I agree the market is strong....for a good product. To me, the Vue is a good product in the crossover market. However, I'm still not sure that consumers really want a Saturn when they buy that big SUV. I wouldn't.....call me pretentious I guess.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2005, 11:13 AM   #17
cdp326
Master Member

Quote:
Yes, Saturn is unfamiliar in the minivan market, that sort of supports what I said initially The Relay has been out long enough to show up on the radar of minivan shoppers. It just doesn't because a.) Most people just don't want a Saturn minivan over other choices and b.) The Relay isn't really even competitive with other vans in the market.

Saturn's success in the compact market is the only reason they're still around.

Plenty of people would jump from a Saturn to another GM product. Regardless, I doubt GM really gives a crap. Saturn's market share is so pathetically low, they probably don't really care about those people cross-shopping GM brands.
A lot of people moved from import cars to Saturn, with the mindset that they wouldn't buy an American car. Several Saturn owners have had a Saturn compact, and wanted to upgrade to a midsize, SUV, or minivan. Once they offer these things the buyers stay in the market. They may want the better customer service at Saturn too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2005, 11:20 AM   #18
cdp326
Master Member

Quote:
Pacifica is still a sales dud.
Not surprised...it's expensive and heavy. The engine puts out about the same horsepower as the 3.5 V6 in the VUE and Hondas, but it's still slow.

Quote:
The Freestyle's demise is already planned for the near future
Not sure how to interpret this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia on the Ford Freestyle
Ford will reportedly cease production the current CD3-based Freestyle and will instead use the name on a smaller crossover based on the Mazda-engineered CD3 platform. At the same time, the replacements for Ford's minivan models will switch from the CD3 to the D3, effectively switching places with the Freestyle in the company's product mix. The 2007 Mercury crossover will continue on the D3, however. Ford could also cancel the Freestyle line in favor of the similar CD3 Ford Edge.
Ford, Mazda, and Lincoln are all supposed to have a 5-seat crossover, and this may supplement the new Freestyle:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_CD3_platform

BTW, Freestyle sales are apparently increasing monthly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2005, 11:24 AM   #19
fatabbot
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not sure how to interpret this:
It means that obviously they aren't "doing well".

Quote:

Since when does a good seller only survive 3 model years? The whole reason the current version is going away is because it hasn't been selling well. I could care less if the name stays, that's irrelevant to your original point.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2005, 11:27 AM   #20
fatabbot
Advanced Member

Quote:
A lot of people moved from import cars to Saturn, with the mindset that they wouldn't buy an American car. Several Saturn owners have had a Saturn compact, and wanted to upgrade to a midsize, SUV, or minivan. Once they offer these things the buyers stay in the market. They may want the better customer service at Saturn too.
Sorry, the current market of Saturn owners is not large enough to justify pumping out larger vehicles through the Saturn nameplate.

This trickle-up theory isn't really efficient.

I do agree about the customer service though.

In the end, we'll have to agree to disagree. I just see no way that this SUV is going to sell well. History and logic just aren't on its side....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!