SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2008, 09:55 PM   #61
oreoucky
oreoucky is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
Default Re: "S" Series automatic transaxle fluid/filter change

I have just read through this and it seems rather easy. I have never worked on my car (2002 sl1) before but want to learn to do general maintenance. This seems like a good first job.

The car has about 60k and has never head a transmission fluid change or filter change, so i figure its about time.

I just have a few open questions after reading this thread.

1)Does one need to raise the car at all to drain the fluid? It is not mentioned.

2)Is the filter wrench necessary or can one simply take it out with their hand?

3)Is there a specific part number? Costs?

Besides that everything seems good.

Thanks

Justin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oreoucky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oreoucky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oreoucky is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2008, 10:20 PM   #62
Growser
Advanced Member
Growser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2000 SL1

Get to the AT filter by removing the airbox for easier access. Have a Saturn OEM AT filter ready and 4.2 Quarts of Dexron III or IV (check your owner's manual) for fluid capacities. Many members swear by Mobil 1 and Amsoil AT Fluid. Run the car to warm it up, then use appropriate safety gear/equipment. I remove the old filter by hand but there's no reason you can't use a wrench if you need to, just watch the wires.

Pour a small quantity of clean fluid into the new filter and lightly wipe the top of the filter rubber seal with new fluid - let it sit to absorb in. Open the drain under the tranny. I jack the car up as I'm too fat to get under it, There's nothing that says you have to. Remove the old filter. Be careful of the wires above and below the filter. I usually disconnect the top one. Let it drain, then wipe the filter's contact points with a clean towel. Then open the drain plug under the tranny. Reinstall the new filter, hand tight then a quarter turn. When installing the filter look for the factory filter magnet that looks like a donut. According to the experts on this site you can dispose of it and that it actually blocks tranny fluid if left on. Reinstall the drain plug. WARNING - DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE DRAIN PLUG. USE A TORQUE WRENCH. Measure the amount of fluid removed from the tranny (including filter). Should be around 4 quarts. Add the new fluid in, run the car until warm, then check the fluid level a couple times to get an accurate average.

CHECK FOR LEAKS, THEN TAKE FOR TEST DRIVE.

7 Saturn Car Family with + 900,000 miles.
2002 SL2, 2000 SL1, 1997 SC2, 1997 SC1, 1996 SC1, 1994 SC2, and now a 93 SC2 project car.

Last edited by Growser; 11-14-2008 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: SPELLING

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Growser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Growser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Growser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:13 PM   #63
Consultant
Consultant is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

I changed the A/T fluid on a 1996 S2 (my wife's car) early this summer before a long (about 1K) trip. Never did an A/T on a Saturn before - got motivated when changing the engine oil and looked up on the other side to see the red filter with "Transmission" on it.

The owners manual is very specific about Dextron III for that car. Did quite a bit of online research and called some Saturn dealers - one said Dextron III, the other said Dextron VI - much of the detailed online references cautioned against Dextron VI in earlier GM transmissions, especially Saturns. Decided to stick with the OEM Dextron III (used Castrol Domestic Multi-vehicle) . It was easier than an engine oil change (removing the air filter box makes it a lot easier to get to the filter) Saturn puts a drain plug on the A/T pan - just make sure you have a large enough tray to catch the 5 qts. Refill per the owner's manual on capacity - and check the dipstick as directed (running in park, as I recall) and fill to top off (if needed).

The last dealer A/T service had been 3 years prior - car seemed a bit "peppier" after the recent fluid change.

As an aside - I found the local Saturn dealer had the best price on the A/T filter (about $17) - and it was in stock - all the parts stores were special order for the Brand X aftermarket filters.

Filled the gas tank before hitting the highway for the trip and checked the mileage along the way - 33mpg (which I couldn't believe) and then 34mpg. - all highway speeds. It's the DOHC engine, and had recent Bosch +2 plugs, new plug wires and an oil and filter change just before the trip.Has about 66K on it - mostly dealer serviced since new, one owner.

I wish my T-bird's A/T was as easy to service as the Saturn.

Now about those front sway bar bushings...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Consultant's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Consultant reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Consultant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:33 PM   #64
bobfather99
bobfather99 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

Consultant,

Be careful with the Bosch plugs. There have been reports of problems with the Saturn ignition system...

You may get even better mileage with the NGKs, or just standard Champion/Delco/Autolite plugs...(non platinum)

Nonetheless, good job on using the Castrol ATF, Ive used it too in the past..

94 Blue SL1 RIP Thanks to a Drunk Uninsured Driver
95 White Bonneville w/190k

Soon Ill be back in Saturnland.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobfather99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobfather99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobfather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:04 AM   #65
scottsb
scottsb is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

Is it necessary to measure the old transmission fluid if you leave it long enough to make sure it's completely drained (an hour)? My car manual ('93 SL2) says that the capacity after a drain and filter change is 3.5 quarts. Can I just add that much instead of measuring the old stuff?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scottsb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scottsb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scottsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:59 AM   #66
CND_SC1
Advanced Member
CND_SC1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsb View Post
Is it necessary to measure the old transmission fluid if you leave it long enough to make sure it's completely drained (an hour)? My car manual ('93 SL2) says that the capacity after a drain and filter change is 3.5 quarts. Can I just add that much instead of measuring the old stuff?

I'd measure it to be on the safe side. My car drained more than 4 quarts both times in under 3 minutes.

The first time in 2006, I took that 3.5 litterally and only bought 4 bottles of ATF. Had to plug it off when the 4L catch recepticle overfilled. Had to put back a few ounces of the old stuff. If it were left to continue trickling another 5 minutes, it probably would have been close to 5 quarts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CND_SC1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CND_SC1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CND_SC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:41 PM   #67
jzambon
jzambon has a spectacular aura aboutjzambon has a spectacular aura about

Some starter info:
2002 SL2 (auto obviously)
33750 miles, purchased from Saturn retailer with 8800K (assuming no prior change)

From my experience this afternoon changing it:

* Removing the battery box was not at all necessary, the filter was very accessible after removing only the air filter box.
*A lot more fluid came out after I took off the filter than anticipated from reading this how-to (obviously I pulled the drain plug off first). Be careful of that.
*I replaced just over 4 quarts of fluid (close to 4 1/8 quarts or so).
My fluid color was a pretty dark red, bordering brown. If I had to assign a hexadecimal web color code to it...it would be 99-00-00.
*I was able to reuse the magnet, it was covered in metal shavings. I put the magnet on the transmission body and then put the filter on, which was easier than putting the magnet on the filter then screwing it on the transmission.
*The wires were a pain in the *****. :-)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jzambon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jzambon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jzambon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:21 PM   #68
lecatpuke
lecatpuke is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1

Just did a fluid/filter drain and change. Total drained and refilled was roughly 4 1/4 quarts, give or take a couple ounces to get it to the FULL spectrum.

One thing that was slightly different with my OEM filter was the tightening spec. I know the recommended tightness is ~3/4 turns after the gasket contacts the base, but that was pretty loose for me. Ended up losing a couple ounces to the driveway after a few hours. Went back and saw it was coming from the filter and it turned an extra 1 1/2 turns pretty easy, to a snug hand-tightness. Haven't noticed any leaks since.

Anything wrong with this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lecatpuke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lecatpuke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lecatpuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:49 PM   #69
onehoop
onehoop is on a distinguished road

1996 SW2

It took me a long time, but that's partly because this is my first car that I've owned that I've done any work on (the ECTS had already been changed, so I put some teflon tape and put it back in). I have a '96 SW2 with 107k, I've put about 700 miles on the car since I bought it a month ago. There was nothing specifically wrong, but I did feel that it ran a little rough. No major problems and not noticeably underpowered, just felt a little off.

The transmission fluid seemed clear/light enough, but between feeling it a little rough, not having the service records, and the advanced age of the car, I decided to change it anyway. Wal-Mart had Valvolene Max ATF (for 75,000+ trannies, said compatible with Dex II/III) in the gallon and quart sizes, I bought one of each (strangely it would not have been much cheaper to have bought 5 quarts) since I'd read that it would be 4.2 quarts total. It was ~$19 with tax. The OEM filter from the dealership was $18. I spent $3 on a drip tray but should have spent more on a larger one... I made a mess. Altogether I only spent $40 though!

I also paid $30 for a pair of ramps and jack stands off of craigslist. The ramps are too steep for the front tires, which was a bit of a drag, but it worked well enough to reverse onto them and to jack the front end. I don't think I could've gotten to the drain plug without it... maybe by touch?

Part of the reason that I made such a mess is that I was convinced that more fluid would drain out of the drain plug when I removed the filter--it did, but I didn't realize that there would also be a significant amount (more) to come out from the filter. The fluid that drained was much darker than that which was in the dipstick. I wonder if the dealer didn't top it off to keep the dipstick clean? I think that it's just that solids settle, so I wouldn't put too much faith in the dipstick fluid color (dark still means change, but clear doesn't mean you're in the clear!).

It also took me a long time to remove the airbox until a roommate lent me a 10mm nutdriver. My 3" ratchet extension was insufficient to reach the front nut. I removed two electrical connections, the inlet air temp sensor and whatever was to my right (car's left) and up from the filter. It was easy to change the filter by hand without a filter/band wrench. I forgot to reattach the inlet air temp sensor which ended up throwing an error code. It didn't reset when I plugged it back in so I had to go to Autozone. Is there a code reset that I should have had them do to indicate that I'd changed the ATF?

Since I was unsure of how much had come out versus was in my drip pan, I only added 4 quarts to start. About 1/5 of the way into my test drive, I noticed that the temperature was higher than it had ever been before (just above halfway) and pulled over to add ATF. Thankfully I had brought the funnel with me, but I still made more mess... any advice for how to remove ATF from the outside of the bottle?!?

The instructions here were great. Strictly speaking the time that I spent may not have been worth that much in savings, but I don't know if it would have run as well or at least if it would have felt like as much of an improvement had someone else had done it.

Next up:
EGR valve cleaning
Radiator Flush
Throttle Body Cleaning

The engine smells smoky enough to make me think about a new head gasket, but the oil loss through 700 miles has only been ~200mL. So, that's about a quart per oil change. Not bad compared to many on here, so I might just let that one go for a while and see if there is any change.

New plugs/wires might be the next biggest improvement. I'll have to pick up a plug socket and some dielectric grease before checking them.

M@

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onehoop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onehoop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onehoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:04 AM   #70
p8ntballsniper8
p8ntballsniper8 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The really shameful part on my side of this?

(Note: I'm only 18 so I still live with my Dad.)

He was a mechanic for almost twenty years. Owns 7 vehicles (3 Saturns).

Has never changed, or had the ATF fluid changed.

Though, is changing the fluid absolutely necessary?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to p8ntballsniper8's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help p8ntballsniper8 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
p8ntballsniper8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:42 PM   #71
calirider
calirider is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntballsniper8 View Post
The really shameful part on my side of this?

(Note: I'm only 18 so I still live with my Dad.)

He was a mechanic for almost twenty years. Owns 7 vehicles (3 Saturns).

Has never changed, or had the ATF fluid changed.

Though, is changing the fluid absolutely necessary?
Yes, don't you change the oil in your motor? Transmission is the same just does not get dirty as fast so you do not have to change it as much but yes you should. I know people that have never changed the oil in there motor, they only last so long when you do things like that.

2004 Ion1 2.2 DOHC, Aisin 5 Speed Auto with 146,500 Miles

2004 Chevy D-Max/Ally with 114,000 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to calirider's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help calirider reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
calirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:27 PM   #72
Derek McNelly
Advanced Member
Derek McNelly is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by calirider View Post
Yes, don't you change the oil in your motor? Transmission is the same just does not get dirty as fast so you do not have to change it as much but yes you should. I know people that have never changed the oil in there motor, they only last so long when you do things like that.
There are some transmissions which are "run till die" type affairs. Used to be more common, especially on RWD vehicles. (4L60E trans comes to mind.)

On the Saturn however, it's a good idea to do a transmission fluid change every 30k. Simple maintenance like that can save a lot on costly repairs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Derek McNelly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Derek McNelly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Derek McNelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:18 PM   #73
bigalpha
bigalpha will become famous soon enough

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek McNelly View Post
There are some transmissions which are "run till die" type affairs. Used to be more common, especially on RWD vehicles. (4L60E trans comes to mind.)
Really old thread, I know, but; my 2008 Mazda3 doesn't have a specified service interval for trans fluid. Supposed to change it only if the fluid is burnt/contaminated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigalpha's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigalpha reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #74
richet
richet is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

i must have missed the part of getting rid of the magnet. been using it with non-oem replacement filter for the past two changes. i better get rid of it now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to richet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help richet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
richet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:53 PM   #75
bitterlemons
bitterlemons is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 2.2L

Now that it's difficult or impossible to pick up OEM transmission filters, can anyone suggest other brands I might look for that would be of comparable quality?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bitterlemons's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bitterlemons reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bitterlemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:56 PM   #76
otpipe
otpipe is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterlemons View Post
Now that it's difficult or impossible to pick up OEM transmission filters, can anyone suggest other brands I might look for that would be of comparable quality?
Bump +1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to otpipe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help otpipe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
otpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #77
Salshoes
Salshoes is on a distinguished road

Question Re: "S" Series automatic transaxle fluid/filter change

I've got the same question. I'm about to change a/t fluid in my '99 sl2, but the compatible filters at autozone and davnace auto parts are from Duralast and ProKing, not Wix or Napa. Where is it suggested I get a filter? Are there places still selling OEM saturn filters?

thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Salshoes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Salshoes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Salshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #78
johnny95sl2
johnny95sl2 will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
1995 SC2

I ordered the wix at rock auto when I bought a few other parts. It was on special for 7 bux.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to johnny95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help johnny95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
johnny95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:04 PM   #79
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Happy Re: "S" Series automatic transaxle fluid/filter change

Wix #57101.

As of Oct 2017
∙ 2002 SL1 128K
∙ 2004 VUE 120K
∙ 2007 ION3 108K
Past
∙ 1993 SL2 212K
∙ 1993 SC2 140K
∙ 1996 SC2 157K
∙ 1996 SC2 126K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200 20K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
David 93 SL2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #80
boilerroom
boilerroom is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

i found my OEM ATF filter on ebay. It was only $4 and luckily was local pick up. Surprisingly it was made my FRAM, yet people on the forum suggest to not use FRAM products. I went OEM based on wolfman suggestion so I am not looking back at this point.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to boilerroom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help boilerroom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
boilerroom is offline   Reply With Quote