SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2007, 04:09 AM   #41
Phredawgy
Phredawgy is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Re: "S" Series automatic transaxle fluid/filter change

Quote:
Originally Posted by CND_SC1 View Post
Don't go to any corporate chain or franchise type place. They have fixed prices they have to charge for an ATF service based on dropping the pan or going thorugh the cooler lines and they probably aren't allowed to make exceptions.

Instead, buy the ATF & Filter yourself and find an independent shop that's not to busy and doesn't b#tch about customers being in the garage to oversee the work.

Phone to get their labor charge on an oil change with customer supplied parts. Then go and offer them the job for the same money plus a $5 or $10 tip - it's the same procedure except it takes a few minutes longer to pour the ATF in slowly and be more careful with the filter removal.

If they don't believe you at first (it happens...), open the hood and show them the external spin-on filter.

As you may have seen for yourself, with a SOHC there is no need to do any disassembly - the filter can be reached by hand in between the block and the Air Intake duct without removing anything.
I've seen several different undercover "stings" targeting shady practices at Jiffy Lube specifically, overcharging, not changing any oils let alone filters.....rolling the *flush*machines and moving some hoses to *hose* the customer. Not putting the oil drain plug back on tight.....draining the oil and changing the filter....but not adding any new oil.....I have no idea if other "Oil&Lube" chains have had similar problems but I'd rather give myself a thousand paper cuts and then go for a swim in a giant pool of lemon juice than go to Jiffy lube

The streets will flow with the blood of all the non-believers!!!! And all those who won't include their vehicles vital information in their posts!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phredawgy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phredawgy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phredawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2007, 01:32 PM   #42
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phredawgy View Post
I've seen several different undercover "stings" targeting shady practices at Jiffy Lube specifically, overcharging, not changing any oils let alone filters.....rolling the *flush*machines and moving some hoses to *hose* the customer. Not putting the oil drain plug back on tight.....draining the oil and changing the filter....but not adding any new oil.....I have no idea if other "Oil&Lube" chains have had similar problems but I'd rather give myself a thousand paper cuts and then go for a swim in a giant pool of lemon juice than go to Jiffy lube
I'm pretty much the same with you on going to Jiffy Lube. I'm not gonna let them kill my baby, LOL. Pretty much everything they do, I can either do myself, or I'll have better qualified mechanics do the job.

But, seriously people this job is so easy a 10 year old could do it!

I've done it several times, and it's just like an oil change, actually I'd say easier, because the oil filter is harder to get to than the transmission fluid filter. Or maybe about the same.

Anyways, there's no need to pay a shop to do this easy job.

Just remember when draining the fluid, so you have an idea of how much to put back in, measure it. But, first check the fluid level before changing it, and make sure it isn't low, if it's low you'll want to add a little more after the change.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:21 PM   #43
Phredawgy

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnManiac View Post
I'm pretty much the same with you on going to Jiffy Lube. I'm not gonna let them kill my baby, LOL. Pretty much everything they do, I can either do myself, or I'll have better qualified mechanics do the job.

But, seriously people this job is so easy a 10 year old could do it!

I've done it several times, and it's just like an oil change, actually I'd say easier, because the oil filter is harder to get to than the transmission fluid filter. Or maybe about the same.

Anyways, there's no need to pay a shop to do this easy job.

Just remember when draining the fluid, so you have an idea of how much to put back in, measure it. But, first check the fluid level before changing it, and make sure it isn't low, if it's low you'll want to add a little more after the change.
I had a friend who wanted to "help" me but not listen when doing this ONCE.....I'm trying to measure what has come out and that sorry sack of donkey dung is just going to pour what the haynes manual says is it's capacity....if you've drained it completely....thankfully I stopped him about a quart from where it needed to be.....I wound up having to open another quart for a wee bit of it, due to the amount spilled out of the other bottle while I was trying to smack the crap out of him.

The streets will flow with the blood of all the non-believers!!!! And all those who won't include their vehicles vital information in their posts!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Phredawgy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-15-2007, 08:21 PM   #44
dizzymac
dizzymac is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't worry so much about the magnet as I would getting a Fram filter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dizzymac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dizzymac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dizzymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:57 PM   #45
Phredawgy

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzymac View Post
I wouldn't worry so much about the magnet as I would getting a Fram filter.
Well if you still happen to have the magnet then the recommendations are to only re-use the magnet with a dealer sold filter..the others may not fit right and it could cause problems....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-16-2007, 01:27 PM   #46
finny
finny is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1

Great write up... I'll be attempting this weekend. The car has 110k miles, I am interested to see the fluid color and filter type. We bought the car with about 70k and have never changed the fluid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to finny's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help finny reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
finny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:47 PM   #47
finny

1998 SL1

Great write up... I'll be attempting this weekend. The car has 110k miles, I am interested to see the fluid color and filter type. We bought the car with about 70k and have never changed the fluid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help finny reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-16-2007, 02:25 PM   #48
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Fluid color won't tell you much (reeeeally old/bad fluid can still look good). Filter type will tell you something about the previous owner, I suppose.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:05 PM   #49
Phredawgy

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Fluid color won't tell you much (reeeeally old/bad fluid can still look good). Filter type will tell you something about the previous owner, I suppose.
or the need to save up for future repairs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-26-2007, 07:28 PM   #50
kwguy
kwguy is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

Here's a really dumb question. Do you need a special filter wrench for this, or will the generic one be fine. I ask, because in the past on a different vehicle, I tried a generic band style wrench and ended up with a dented filter that wouldn't come off until I used a different sized wrench. I know that those band style aren't a "one size fits all" tool.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kwguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kwguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kwguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:24 AM   #51
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

The band-style wrench is a "one size fits all in its range" tool. Nothing special about this, or any, canister-style filter in that regard. There are also generic strap wrenches, often used on plumbing, etc. (and useful on reeeeeally tight jar lids) that would be useful in this application.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:00 PM   #52
SHARPMACHINE
SHARPMACHINE is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Anyone ever get the saturn filter from a gm dealer (or an online source)??? I live in West Michigan and have never actualy been to a saturn dealer.

thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SHARPMACHINE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SHARPMACHINE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SHARPMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:42 PM   #53
techsista
techsista is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It'll take less time to change your own oil than it will to contact the BBB, your state's Attorney General's office, your attorney, etc. etc. after they fail to tighten your drain plug, put the wrong product in, fail to do a service for which they charge you, overtighten something, or any of the other host of things for which they're notorious for doing. I wouldn't trust them to change my Christmas tree air freshener.
LOL!! they killed a tranny in my buick a few years ago when they basically told me it was gonna die if i didnt get it flushed right then and there. they sucked it out, then replaced it WITHOUT replacing the screen/filter. i drove away. the next morning, i had to wait 15 minutes before i could put my car into gear just to goto work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to techsista's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help techsista reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
techsista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:27 PM   #54
finny

1998 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARPMACHINE View Post
Anyone ever get the saturn filter from a gm dealer (or an online source)??? I live in West Michigan and have never actualy been to a saturn dealer.

thanks

I'm in West Mich also (GR) I just got a trans filter at the dealer on 28th... around $10 I think the oil filter was around the same price.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-23-2008, 08:34 PM   #55
UsNsUbSoNaR
UsNsUbSoNaR is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

I bought some tranny fluid today and will be stopping by the dealer tomorrow to pick up a filter but I remembered that I have some semi synthetic lucas ATF left over from my old Mustang and some lucas tranny additive I never used....... Should I use these in my Saturn? Or should I stick with the conventional stuff?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to UsNsUbSoNaR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help UsNsUbSoNaR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
UsNsUbSoNaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:12 PM   #56
Phredawgy

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsNsUbSoNaR View Post
I bought some tranny fluid today and will be stopping by the dealer tomorrow to pick up a filter but I remembered that I have some semi synthetic lucas ATF left over from my old Mustang and some lucas tranny additive I never used....... Should I use these in my Saturn? Or should I stick with the conventional stuff?
get some new oil....as far as the Lucas additive I haven't heard anyone with anything good to say about their products.....Is there a reason you want to use additive? How long has it been since your last fluid and filter change?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-26-2008, 03:17 PM   #57
UsNsUbSoNaR

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phredawgy View Post
get some new oil....as far as the Lucas additive I haven't heard anyone with anything good to say about their products.....Is there a reason you want to use additive? How long has it been since your last fluid and filter change?
I just had it sitting around and it said that it was good for regular use. Not sure when last fluid change was, I just bought the car last week (It's my 4th Saturn), but it looks kinda dingy and going through some recent repair bills from the previous owner I noticed that a fluid change was recommended.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help UsNsUbSoNaR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-26-2008, 03:06 AM   #58
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If that's the case then someone would say "WTF did they use a dealer filter for on this POS...were they on crack?!" I get it all the time seriously, "Your car is a POS, why the **** do you care if you use cheap ****?!" Then again, there is no such thing as me being a previous owner for Sexy unless I manage to have a heart attack at 23, LOL.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:02 PM   #59
briansc1
briansc1 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1

i dont get something. Why are you putting new and old fluid back in the trans? Why not just put all new fluid in?
thanks..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to briansc1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help briansc1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
briansc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:57 PM   #60
UsNsUbSoNaR

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansc1 View Post
i dont get something. Why are you putting new and old fluid back in the trans? Why not just put all new fluid in?
thanks..
I didn't mean it was old fluid, it was unused fluid that I had bought too much of. I did use it and it works just fine.

1993 Saturn SL 145k miles 5spd (Sold)
2003 Saturn Vue 52k miles V6 AWD (Sold)
1999 SL2 152k miles Auto (Sold)
1995 SL2 222k miles 5spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!