SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2006, 02:28 AM   #21
Bigdaddy94sc2
Bigdaddy94sc2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: "S" Series automatic transaxle fluid/filter change

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
I no longer work for Saturn, so I gain nothing by recommending OEM parts.
Whats up with that?

Quote:
That being said, understand that if I recommend a particular item such as the transaxle filter be obtained from a Saturn dealer, there IS a reason.
Cant agree more. Have seen a few trans problems solved by changing fluid and using stock trans filter over aftermarket..... reason maybe?

GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigdaddy94sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdaddy94sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bigdaddy94sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2006, 02:31 AM   #22
Bigdaddy94sc2
Bigdaddy94sc2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue
Now let's do the math with the autotranny and Mobil 1 ATF.

So Mobil 1 is $6/qt. How much is conventional, maybe $2/qt? So, a difference of $4/qt, times 7 qts, is $28. Over a 30,000 use interval, that's about $0.001 per mile. A tenth of a penny. Maybe a nickel a day, perhaps a dime if you drive a LOT. The food energy to fire the brain cells to think about this is worth more.
With that logic, you could change the trans fluid and filter every 12-15k instead with regular dex, will still be clean, and serve the same purpose.... Regular Dex3 is fine, when changed regularly.... If you are going to change it every 30k or so, Mobil1 ATF wont make that big of a difference to justify the expense..... now if you want to stretch it to 60k or so, then feel free. Mobil1 atf is good stuff, dont get me wrong. Just isnt needed in a saturn trans if changing it regularly.

GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigdaddy94sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdaddy94sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bigdaddy94sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:41 AM   #23
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy94sc2
With that logic, you could change the trans fluid and filter every 12-15k instead with regular dex, will still be clean, and serve the same purpose.... Regular Dex3 is fine, when changed regularly.... If you are going to change it every 30k or so, Mobil1 ATF wont make that big of a difference to justify the expense..... now if you want to stretch it to 60k or so, then feel free. Mobil1 atf is good stuff, dont get me wrong. Just isnt needed in a saturn trans if changing it regularly.
This is perhaps so...but tis Dextron 3 even changed at the 30K intervals that nets more than a few folks sticky valvebody actuators and the dreaded reverse slam...that can loosen the input shaft nut etc.. etc..

Its Mobil 1 ATF and at 30k changes, factory filters.... and still trouble free at 110k+ for me.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:29 PM   #24
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Not to mention the added expense of twice as many trans filters, and the time to do the procedure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 08:43 PM   #25
bgates2b
bgates2b is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
1994 SL2

Wolfman, I've used aftermarket Fram tranny filters (bows head in shame) on my car since the OEM filter said "Made by Fram" I no longer have that magnet. If I order an OEM filter, does it come with a new magnet? Do I still need one?

"Congratulations on your brand new 2007 Acura" - Tenisha, the On*Star rep that handled my call during the Aura's delivery

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bgates2b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bgates2b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bgates2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:57 PM   #26
Norseman
Norseman is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgates2b
Wolfman, I've used aftermarket Fram tranny filters (bows head in shame) on my car since the OEM filter said "Made by Fram" I no longer have that magnet. If I order an OEM filter, does it come with a new magnet? Do I still need one?

I want to know also.

I had my trans serviced and a non-Saturn filter was used. I won't know if the magnet is there until I go change the fluid. I have a new OEM filter and it does not include a magnet. Can you get the magnet from the dealer?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Norseman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Norseman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 07:34 AM   #27
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, (maybe?) but after the initial fluid change at 30k miles, the magnet is more extra insurance than necessary. You can accomplish essentially the same thing with one of those readily available external "oil filter magnets" if you so desire.

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-06-2006, 06:39 PM   #28
CND_SC1
Advanced Member
CND_SC1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC1

I'm buying an ATF filter tomorrow. I'm going to stop by a Saturn dealer first, does anyone know wha the part number on the box should be so I can know for sure that I'm getting the good, original OEM filter and nor something cheaper that Saturn may have switched to in Canada?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CND_SC1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CND_SC1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CND_SC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 02:45 PM   #29
hockeygoalie29
hockeygoalie29 is on a distinguished road

First off, great how-to Wolfman!

The question I have is about a do-it-yourself flush of the fluid. From what I have read, removing the cooling line to allow the old fluid to drain while adding new fluid in equal amounts should flush out the remaining old fluid left during a regular drain. I'm about to swap the fluid on my wife's SL1 which has about 115,000 miles on it and I don't believe it's ever been changed so I figured that a complete change is in order.

Any advice or warnings would be appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hockeygoalie29's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hockeygoalie29 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hockeygoalie29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:39 PM   #30
wolfman

The "S" series has an external spin on filter and drains from the differential sump. NO FLUSH IS NEEDED. I highly recommend AGAINST flushing an MP6/MP7 TAAT autotransaxle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-09-2006, 07:49 PM   #31
hockeygoalie29
hockeygoalie29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
The "S" series has an external spin on filter and drains from the differential sump. NO FLUSH IS NEEDED. I highly recommend AGAINST flushing an MP6/MP7 TAAT autotransaxle.
Wow, that makes it so much easier...and a lot less messy. I noticed that this afternoon as I was crawling underneath to take a look and didn't see a pan like I expected. Instead, it simply drains. Gotta love it. Thanks again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hockeygoalie29's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hockeygoalie29 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hockeygoalie29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:29 AM   #32
SHARPMACHINE
SHARPMACHINE is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Not just a bump to the top.

I just bought a 96 sl2 with 75,000 miles on it. The trans fluid was changed 1000 miles and 1.5 years ago (not many miles the last few years on this car). My question is how long will the fluid be good, maybee put another 10,000 miles on the oil, then change it to be safe?

thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SHARPMACHINE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SHARPMACHINE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SHARPMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:09 AM   #33
myolbug
Advanced Member
myolbug will become famous soon enough

1998 SC2

98 SC2: For the past 3 filter changes, and one drain/refill, I have used Wix tranny filters, but I don't think I have used that great of fluid. It shifts great, no problems whatsoever, and the fluid is so clean, it is hard to read on the dipstick. The only problem I have is that when you put it in park/neutral, after a few seconds, you can feel the tranny "release" a bit. And, the other day, when I was in park, it felt like the car was trying to move forward, and relaese, then move forward and release when it was in park, after having driven for a short while, albeit subtley.

Recommendations? I can get a Saturn filter, but I no nothing about this magnet. I can get one of those filter magnets, from whom?

If it is OK to disarm law abiding citizens to reduce crime, then it stands to reason to disarm the military to prevent war!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to myolbug's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help myolbug reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
myolbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:06 PM   #34
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by myolbug View Post
Recommendations? I can get a Saturn filter, but I no nothing about this magnet. I can get one of those filter magnets, from whom?
The magnet isn't really required after the first filter change, but some do keep it in there. The reason for the OE filter over aftermarket, I believe has to do with flow, and how the filter openings line-up with the tranny passages.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:50 AM   #35
CND_SC1
Advanced Member

1994 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgates2b View Post
...I've used aftermarket Fram tranny filters (bows head in shame) on my car since the OEM filter said "Made by Fram" ...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by myolbug View Post
98 SC2: ...
For future reference, the filter I bought from a Saturn dealership here in Canada was a FilTech brand, part #21003361 ($18.10 CND). It didn't come with a magnet and as Woolfman already posted, you don't really need it anymore.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help CND_SC1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2007, 11:07 PM   #36
daoyee
daoyee is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oogy View Post
Suggestions on reading the dipstick?

Maybe I'm a fool but I seriously cannot tell where the level is on the dipstick.
I too am curious of this. I was checking my fluid this evening. I could not even tell where the line was. The fluid on the rag was light red. But seemed translucent on the dip stick.

2001 SC2
124,400 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daoyee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daoyee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daoyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:00 AM   #37
SW2Fiddler
SW2Fiddler is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2
2005 RELAY-2
Idea 2.5 Gallon Drain Pan, Free, plus spigot

I've been preparing to change the fluid (and run the Wolfman Reverse Slam Cure) and have been watching for an appropriate catch pan. Want one that's easy to pour from, into the empty bottles...

My wife wants me to do something with these empty big rectangular Spring Water bottles. One was repurposed to hold dirty fry oil. Another two had the back ends removed which became nice little marinating trays.

I will slice off the top of another 2 1/2 gallon bottle and drain my ATF into it. The spigot should make the filling of empties practically painless.

If it turns out to not be a big enough opening, I will report back right here...

@=(=I-)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SW2Fiddler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SW2Fiddler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SW2Fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:46 AM   #38
Commando44
Commando44 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
1994 SL1

7 quarts of clean ATF (Mobil 1 synthetic ATF HIGHLY recommended)
Replacement transaxle filter (Buy it from SATURN, not the autoparts store)

If I use a replacement filter from the autopart store, what happens? Can jiffy-lube change my oil? I don't have the time to do it myself.

'94 SL 1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Commando44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Commando44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Commando44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:04 PM   #39
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commando44 View Post
Can jiffy-lube change my oil? I don't have the time to do it myself.
It'll take less time to change your own oil than it will to contact the BBB, your state's Attorney General's office, your attorney, etc. etc. after they fail to tighten your drain plug, put the wrong product in, fail to do a service for which they charge you, overtighten something, or any of the other host of things for which they're notorious for doing. I wouldn't trust them to change my Christmas tree air freshener.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:48 AM   #40
CND_SC1
Advanced Member

1994 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commando44 View Post
Can jiffy-lube change my oil? I don't have the time to do it myself.
'94 SL 1
Don't go to any corporate chain or franchise type place. They have fixed prices they have to charge for an ATF service based on dropping the pan or going thorugh the cooler lines and they probably aren't allowed to make exceptions.

Instead, buy the ATF & Filter yourself and find an independent shop that's not to busy and doesn't b#tch about customers being in the garage to oversee the work.

Phone to get their labor charge on an oil change with customer supplied parts. Then go and offer them the job for the same money plus a $5 or $10 tip - it's the same procedure except it takes a few minutes longer to pour the ATF in slowly and be more careful with the filter removal.

If they don't believe you at first (it happens...), open the hood and show them the external spin-on filter.

As you may have seen for yourself, with a SOHC there is no need to do any disassembly - the filter can be reached by hand in between the block and the Air Intake duct without removing anything.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!