SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should I spend the insurance money to get a Saturn or buy my Mother-In-Law's Camry?
Get the Camry! 1 4.00%
Try to get an exact replacement. 11 44.00%
Find a good L-Series 5 20.00%
Sue the guy that hit me for enough money to buy a Sky! 8 32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2005, 12:06 PM   #1
VentureForth
VentureForth has a spectacular aura aboutVentureForth has a spectacular aura aboutVentureForth has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION-3 Sedan
Sad I lost my Saturn! :(

Very very sad, indeed. I'm totally bummed. Can't even look at cars.com without getting a little teary-eyed as I look and see what other dealers want for their little $9995 Saturn. They're generally much more than what my insurance will give me. One guy was even selling one for 7950! That's only a 20% depreciation in 3 years! I'm impressed! Wish I could have got that back for my car.

Anyway, I got a great deal on my mother-in-law's Camry so I guess I'm ejecting myself out of the world of Saturn. This makes me even more bummed, but my wife is in control.

So I guess I don't have a question or anything. I'm just using this time to mourn the lost of my SL SE. Maybe I'll go get my speakers.

(Note: Date on the photo is SO wrong. This happened on Halloween night).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1932 (4) sm.JPG (88.0 KB, 145 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VentureForth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VentureForth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VentureForth is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2005, 12:15 PM   #2
VentureForth
VentureForth has a spectacular aura aboutVentureForth has a spectacular aura aboutVentureForth has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: I lost my Saturn! :(

(PS: I'm driving a Dodge Stratus rental car for the time being and it SUCKS!! Less than 1500 miles on it, and the engine feels like it's going to die tomorrow.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help VentureForth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-09-2005, 12:57 PM   #3
RaveTrax
RaveTrax is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
1997 SL2

i'm driving a ford focus until my sl2 gets relased from the shop today.

its a f_cking mint green bubble and so d_mn ugly... =/

~> ravetrax.com - it's not a state of mind, it's a way of life.
~> echo34.com - an irc network for the socially challenged

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RaveTrax's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RaveTrax reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RaveTrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 01:00 PM   #4
VentureForth

2006 ION-3 Sedan

I can't believe "Outsiders" consider it to be a comparable vehicle!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-09-2005, 01:34 PM   #5
blsman
blsman is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

I'm sorry to hear that. I feel you, man.

You might have seen my thread. Well, my Saturn also got hit on 10/29 which was my birthday. I was so sad and depressed when I saw my car after the accident and I was very mad at the person who caused the accident. Then the other driver's insurance company even made me very mad. (I had to deal with them because I did not have full coverage on my insurance.) It's in the body shop right now, and I will probably get my car back tomorrow.

Anyway, if you want you can sue the person who hit you. Or if your insurance company or the other driver's insurance company doesn't pay enough money, you can talk to the state department of insurance. They usually listen to your story and give you advice. You might be able to file a complaint to your or the other person's insurance company. In your case, I think you cannot use a small court because the cost of the damage is high. Well, it depends on states.

I don't have enough money to replace my Saturn, so I decided to fix it. If you fix your car, call a Saturn dealer near you, and they usually tell you a good body shop. The body shop I went was great, and some people told me it's one of the best.

Anyway, sorry to hear about that. It seems that you are okay, so that's good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 01:58 PM   #6
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

It doesn't look that bad in the picture.

What happened?

85 GLH 290whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215679
94 855 389xxx miles and climbing.
00 Insight 50mpg++

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:55 PM   #7
VentureForth

2006 ION-3 Sedan

It wasnít my fault. Well, thatís what they all say, huh? Well, this time itís actually true. I was going home to get my kids ready for Trick or Treat. About three blocks from home, I was on a neighborhood straight-a-way and was T-Boned by a guy driving an í89 Thunderbird. He ran a stop sign because he grabbed a bottle of water and missed seeing it. I feel really bad for him and canít imagine what heís going through. He wasnít damaged as much as I was, and I wasnít hurt bad. Spent about 4 hours in ER to get a CT Scan and a doctor. Donít remember ANYthing until I saw my wife by my gurney. I was conscious the whole time, but have no cognitive recollection. Diagnosis: Mild Stage 2 Concussion.

Fortunately he was insured. From what I understand, 1 in 3 New Mexicanís donít have insurance.

Anyway, Iím OK. A few achy muscles, but nothing severe. Had a follow up with my primary doctor and he said I was doing fine.

Now Iím really disappointed to see that amazinghl has 40x as many posts as I do and joined these here forums a month later.

Blsman Ė I feel bad for you. Underinsured motorists hurt us ALL. Hope you get back up to par, budd!

Note: See this picture for a lot of the cost-related damage. Folded wheels are no good. Not real good - pretty dark by the time these were taken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1931 (3) sm.JPG (42.1 KB, 65 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-09-2005, 04:20 PM   #8
celegante
celegante is on a distinguished road

2002 SC
1992 SC2

Sorry about your car. I posted in blsman's post about my car being in a wreck. I was hit by an uninsured motorist. My car was repairable but it still has a few little problems.

I bought an '02 SC2 last month and I still have my '92 SC. People who aren't Saturn owners just don't get the connection, do they?

'92 SC 104,000 miles
'02 SC2 46,700 miles RIP 12/4/07

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to celegante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help celegante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
celegante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:52 PM   #9
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureForth

Now Iím really disappointed to see that amazinghl has 40x as many posts as I do and joined these here forums a month later.

LOL, let's just say you have kids, I don't.

85 GLH 290whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215679
94 855 389xxx miles and climbing.
00 Insight 50mpg++

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:44 PM   #10
marcusa
marcusa is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

Have you checked the Greensheet for Dallas or Fort Worth? They've got some great deals, as do local papers For Sale by Owner. You may also want to try your local Saturn dealer on a Monday morning when they've got all the trade-ins, explain them your situation. Heck, I can even check out a car in Houston for you if it's close enough to me. Also, try Ebay Motors (and keep it within a certain radius, most sellers even deliver for short distances) and autotrader.com is better than cars.com in quantity and price.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marcusa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marcusa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marcusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 10:27 PM   #11
TIMSPEED
Advanced Member
TIMSPEED is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
1998 SW2

I've fixed worse damage than that for sub $1000. New Bumper/trunk/Quarter panel, be good as new.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TIMSPEED's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TIMSPEED reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TIMSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 11:31 AM   #12
VentureForth

2006 ION-3 Sedan

State Farm & My Body Shop agree - $5800 is all I'll get. Well, hey - that's better than 1/2 of what I paid for it. They won't pay for my emotional attachment, though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2005, 12:10 PM   #13
blsman
blsman is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

I totally understand. I took care of my car, so I maintained, clean, etc. Right before I was going to wax my car, it was hit. So, I was so mad at the other driver and her insurance company which tried to save money as much as they could. They don't even know my emotional attatchment.

But now I'm slowly getting over it, and if I can get my car back and the body shop fixes it right, I get over it. Sometimes s*** happenes. Also, that damage is fixable and if a good body shop fixes, I think it's hard to tell. I hope everything is gonna be alright!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 03:58 PM   #14
kg6mvb
kg6mvb will become famous soon enoughkg6mvb will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureForth
Fortunately he was insured. From what I understand, 1 in 3 New Mexicanís donít have insurance.
I've heard that 50% of New Mexican's are drunk, and 50% don't have insurance...and they aren't the same 50%!

Sorry to hear about your car, but it protected you, and better that he hit your car than ran over some kids. Cars can be replaced but people can't.

Tom
(I ALWAYS drive sober and have insurance...where do I fit in???)

Proud to be a member of both the Ham Radio and Saturn Cults.

Avitar is a Saturn V rocket engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kg6mvb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kg6mvb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kg6mvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:37 PM   #15
VentureForth

2006 ION-3 Sedan

I guess I never did finish this story. I went with the Camry. Not really by choice, but by circumstances. I have found that there are many times in one's marriage that one doesn't always get what he wants. Couldn't really turn down mother in law. Price was right and the political harmony was paramount. It's been 5 years since the wreck, and honestly, every time I see a silver blue SL1, I'm proud to know what that car went for new and I know it's serving their owner well. I actually swell up a bit inside. Those SLs are damn fine cars, and it is a sad story for Saturn in the end.

Those things are still selling for only $2000 less than their sticker ($9,995). How 'bout that for resale?

The Camry has been fine, but I estimate I've spent almost $3000 more in gas then I should have since then.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-04-2011, 02:03 AM   #16
DuffyDidIt
DuffyDidIt is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

Holy resurrection batman!

2002 Saturn SL1 161k | 85 Iroc-Z28 47k Miles (sold) | 74' Honda XL100 Street | SSR90r |

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DuffyDidIt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DuffyDidIt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DuffyDidIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:42 AM   #17
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureForth View Post
Those things are still selling for only $2000 less than their sticker ($9,995). How 'bout that for resale?
I thought asking $4k ~$5k up here was insane... sounds like you could make a serious profit buying cheap saturns and selling them in Texas...

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:25 PM   #18
VentureForth

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffyDidIt View Post
Holy resurrection batman!
Wow. It's been 6 years? I may have only just regained consciousness!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #19
Landric
Landric is on a distinguished road

1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureForth View Post
Wow. It's been 6 years? I may have only just regained consciousness!
So the real question, are you still driving the Toyota?

-Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Current '99 SL 5 M/T

Bought New-Foolishly Traded '99 SL2 5 M/T, VIN 1G8ZJ5278XZ268547, do you own my old Saturn?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Landric's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Landric reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Landric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #20
velleguy73
velleguy73 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL
2002 SL

Friends don't let friends buy Toyotas.... At least that's what we say in Detroit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to velleguy73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help velleguy73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
velleguy73 is offline   Reply With Quote