SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Mods and Performance
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2005, 05:44 PM   #1
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Default Help with dash LEDs

I bought a pair of the #74 leds for my dash to light up the areas I have circled. I found this picture on this site, so somehow someone got them to work.

I twisted the stock plug out and removed the bulb, then I placed the new led into the plug and put it back in. I tuned the lights on and nothing, they would not light up at all. I switched them around thinking I had them in the wrong way, and the still did not light up. I pressed the metal contacts on the plug more on to the LED to get a better contact, still nothing. So now I'm getting frustrated thinking they are bad to begin with, I tested them with a 9V battery and they lit up.

Does the instrument cluster not supply enough power to the indicator lights to light up these LEDs, or do I need to do some modification to them? Can anyone shed some light on this and help me? Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2005, 08:11 PM   #2
Kevin94SL
Kevin94SL is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Help with dash LEDs

LED's take almost no power to function. I can't see any reason why they wouldn't light up if correctly biased (correct polarity is retained...). Why they aren't working, I am not sure. If you have a meter, I would check that you are still getting power at the contacts that you have there for those bulbs...

Kevin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kevin94SL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kevin94SL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-08-2005, 11:02 PM   #3
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Are they bare LED's or LED bulbs? If they are bare LEDs and you are plugging them directly into the light socket, you're giving them too much voltage. You also need a resistor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-09-2005, 12:32 AM   #4
s-seriesguy

No, they are the wedge LED bulbs that are supposed to be direct replacements for the stock 74 size bulbs.

The same as these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/74-37...QQcmdZViewItem

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-09-2005, 09:56 AM   #5
sps SOHC
Master Member
sps SOHC is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

You have them in the wrong way. Turn them again, turn them again, make sure it's getting contact.

oh, and now that I look at the picture... THOSE AREN'T THE RIGHT BUBLS! At least not for the instrument cluster. You need different ones. Go to www.superbrightleds.com

-96 SC2 gets 35 mpg mix city/hw.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sps SOHC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sps SOHC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-09-2005, 04:30 PM   #6
s-seriesguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps SOHC
You have them in the wrong way. Turn them again, turn them again, make sure it's getting contact.

oh, and now that I look at the picture... THOSE AREN'T THE RIGHT BUBLS! At least not for the instrument cluster. You need different ones. Go to www.superbrightleds.com
Why are they not the right bulbs? For the two areas I have circled, a #74 bulb is used. This led is supposed to be a replacemnet for it, and it is the same size as the stock bulb.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-09-2005, 11:09 PM   #7
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

I am the author of that pic, thank you very much!

And I got those LEDS from superbrightleds.com also. I just got the LED "bulbs" without the base (because I re-used the stock bases) . The resistor is either built into the LED base (reason it's called a "bulb") or the LED is a special 12 volt one.

It is a tight fit to get them in the stock lamp base, but they will go. Just use another LED. Maybe it is bad for some reason. Or you could clean the conacts on the circuit sheeting @ the back of the cluster.

Of those 5 or 6 top floodlight LEDs, only 3 or 4 are working. I think the LEDs are poor quality.

I have a fix in mind that involves EL glow wire to be the floodlight. Just have to get some $$$ together though.

1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geartooth94's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geartooth94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2005, 04:24 AM   #8
s-seriesguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geartooth94
I am the author of that pic, thank you very much!

And I got those LEDS from superbrightleds.com also. I just got the LED "bulbs" without the base (because I re-used the stock bases) . The resistor is either built into the LED base (reason it's called a "bulb") or the LED is a special 12 volt one.

It is a tight fit to get them in the stock lamp base, but they will go. Just use another LED. Maybe it is bad for some reason. Or you could clean the conacts on the circuit sheeting @ the back of the cluster.

Of those 5 or 6 top floodlight LEDs, only 3 or 4 are working. I think the LEDs are poor quality.

I have a fix in mind that involves EL glow wire to be the floodlight. Just have to get some $$$ together though.
I'll have to give this a try again. I know it was a pain to get them to fit to begin with. If they lit up with a 9V, surely they will work in the car no problem. The stock bulbs light up still, so I'll just jam them in next time.

Also, I've got another question for you. How have your LEDs been holding up in the areas circled? I've seen on other boards where people have done the LEDs and they have burned out in a very short period of time. How long do these usually last? Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2005, 09:46 PM   #9
dansl2
Advanced Member
dansl2 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Don't know if this applies to you, but the bulbs I replaced in my 2K had contacts for both inside & ouside of the circuit board. I got some aftermarket (Sylvania)bulbs that fit, but only had contacts for the outside of the board. They worked ok for my "opera" lights, but didn't for any of the others on the cluster-all those have underside board connections.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dansl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dansl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-11-2005, 07:09 PM   #10
thoroxin
thoroxin is on a distinguished road

I was wondering what kind those lights(blue) that are behind the speedometer and tach?
please and thank you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thoroxin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thoroxin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!