SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2005, 05:53 PM   #1
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is on a distinguished road

1997 SL
Default Coolant/water mixture percentage?

Hi all,

May have found out why my temperature gauge on my 97 SL is running hotter than most. Most on this board say their gauge checks a little over the 1/4 mark but mine is checking just a little below the 1/2 way mark. When I recently changed my antifreeze, Chilton called for a mixture of 68% antifreeze (max.) and the rest water. According to that, I used too much antifreeze in the mixture, at about 75%. Anyone know if that will hurt anything or because it is running hotter, will it help burn carbon deposits off my spark plugs, or help the car run more efficiently? Or is it worth draining a little out and adding more water? Thanks for any info on this subject.

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerryHughes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2005, 05:59 PM   #2
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Coolant/water mixture percentage?

Will it hurt? If you like overheating you car.
Plugs are $2 each... how much an engine cost?

Drain it quick and put more water. Anti-freeze is a horrible heat transfer meterial.

85 GLH
94 855

89 CSX, parting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 07:40 PM   #3
JS593
JS593 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1

maybe thats why mine heats up alot, i have about 90% antifreeze and 10% water.... but i put alot less water due to our winters... they tend to get BITTER COLD here...

92 SL1 SOHC TBI
Custom intake
Alpine deck, speakers, amp
JBL Sub
Ultimate amp
Volometer gauge mounted in dash
Magnaflow exhaust
....DEAD.... Car towed away Jan 18 2007. RIP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JS593's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JS593 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JS593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 07:44 PM   #4
dansl2
Advanced Member
dansl2 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Not near my Hanes or owners manual, but thought both said to use a 50/50 mix. Just changed thermostat & flushed, put premixed 50/50 in & it's running between 1/4 & 1/2 on the gauge-maybe a little closer to 1/2 than it use to, but not by much.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dansl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dansl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dansl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 08:20 PM   #5
DarrylLeeOHS30
Advanced Member
DarrylLeeOHS30 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
2001 SL2

Ive always used a 50/50 mix..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DarrylLeeOHS30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DarrylLeeOHS30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DarrylLeeOHS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 08:41 PM   #6
96GSL1
96GSL1 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

My '96, with a new(er) thermostat & ECTS sits just a lil under the half mark @ operating temp; I wouldn't worry about it as long as your fan is turning on before the red zone.

75% is still too much coolant, though; especially in CA. 50/50 is a good compromise. Don't forget to use distilled water, too.

96 SL1 202k
98 Windstar 123k

Last edited by 96GSL1; 10-28-2005 at 08:47 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 96GSL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 96GSL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
96GSL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 09:42 PM   #7
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS593
maybe thats why mine heats up alot, i have about 90% antifreeze and 10% water.... but i put alot less water due to our winters... they tend to get BITTER COLD here...

I don't care how cold, that is TOO MUCH ANTIFREEZE!!!!

85 GLH
94 855

89 CSX, parting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:09 PM   #8
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

you should use a 50/50 mixture of coolant and water.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 11:43 AM   #9
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL
Default Q

Last night I emptied my reservoir tank and put in just distilled water. After driving around a bit I did notice the temperature gauge drop a little. Before putting on a new ECTS connector and adding new antifreeze, I know my temp gauge was recording around half way between 1/4 and 1/2 on the gauge so I will empty some more antifreeze mixture and add more distilled water.

I also checked the Prestone Dexcool antifreeze container and that called for a mixture between 50% and 70% but I'm still going to drop the mixture down to around 60%. That way if I happen to need to add fluid, I can get away with only adding more water instead of worrying about dropping below the 50% mark.

And JS, 90% antifreeze is WAY too much! I'd drop it down to the level that is advised on your container of antifreeze. There is a point where a mixture above the 50-50 percentage does not over-protect your car from colder winters.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-29-2005, 12:02 PM   #10
itsmesillybubba
itsmesillybubba is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I live in Canada....not many have a colder winter than we do......I use a 50/50 mix....been told to use that by many mechanics

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth.
My 95 SL1 is gone :(

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to itsmesillybubba's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help itsmesillybubba reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
itsmesillybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 03:29 PM   #11
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

And as I live in southern California, I've used 20% anti-Freeze, a bottle of Water Wetter,and the rest distilled water. (((>I do this, with the full knowledge, that it is recommended to have a 50/50max mixture. <))) With that in mind, I would not change my mixture settings, though. And I frequently have to drive through Majove, CA in the height of the day and it's corrresponding over 100 degree heat.

> 95 SL 2 = 649,619 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 4/19/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable <

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 03:38 PM   #12
dansl2
Advanced Member
dansl2 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

I was always under the impression that coolant was also a rust preventative. Are the insides of the radiator & heater core not metal anymore, or is the lower percent of antifreeze enough to prevent the fins from rusting?

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dansl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dansl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dansl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 05:15 PM   #13
sc2dave
sc2dave is on a distinguished road

water is what cools the engine, antifreese does the corrosion protection.your engine shouldn't have any problems at all with 75% antifreese.i've read here that these engines run at the 1/2 mark fine all the time. if it's too hot,that's why you have a thermostat,and an electric fan that kicks on before the engine gets TOO hot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc2dave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc2dave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sc2dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 05:04 PM   #14
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Quote:
> Fm Dave <
> water is what cools the engine, antifreese does the corrosion protection.your engine shouldn't have any problems at all with 75% antifreese. <
Rebuttal > I've never seen any documentation supporting using antifreeze in any other mixture other than a 50/50 mixture. With that in mind, a 75% antifreeze and 25% water, would not be prudent.(( Inspite of my own personal mixture, and my having done exhaustive research, for my personal driving habits, others should follow the industry recommended mixture of 50/50 ))

> 95 SL 2 = 649,619 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 4/19/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable <

Last edited by Luke; 10-30-2005 at 05:10 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 05:12 PM   #15
hamill
hamill is on a distinguished road

In ANY of the vehicles I've owned I've allwas added 50% water 50% antifreeze, and to be honest, I don't just use tap water, usually distilled.

On that note, I have never had to replace a rad, or had an engine overheat, and have never been told not to use a 50/50 mix....and I live in Canada as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hamill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hamill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hamill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 05:59 PM   #16
oldgoat
oldgoat is on a distinguished road

Have always used a 50/50 mixture myself and we can get pretty chilly here also. I think they say that about about 60% the anti freeze capability doesn't really change and the ability to cool reduces. Also antifreeze I believe helps even in hot weather plus helps with corrosion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oldgoat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oldgoat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oldgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 06:14 PM   #17
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
And as I live in southern California, I've used 20% anti-Freeze, a bottle of Water Wetter,and the rest distilled water. .
I've heard that the antifreeze is there to stop corrosion and for lubrication and that you shouldn't go below the 50% mark. Good luck, I hope you don't have any problems but as mentioned, you've run this way for a long time without problems. But I'll stick with my 60% antifreeze.

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-30-2005, 10:04 PM   #18
Digital Eagle
Digital Eagle is on a distinguished road

My mechanic has been putting in a 70/30 mixture because it gets -40 below here in the UP of Michigan. He claims this is for extra insurance. Perhaps he is wrong here but I have not had any problems with cooling the car in the summer. My Temp guage always stays just a little above the 1/4 mark unless it sits and idles for a long time. No radiator problems at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Digital Eagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Digital Eagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Digital Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 11:04 PM   #19
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

What's that I hear? A firestorm approaching??

I refill every Saturn "S" series with 1 gallon (4 quarts) of straight antifreeze, and 3 quarts of TAP WATER. I have yet to have a problem. This equates to a 57%/43% mixture. And will protect to ~-45dF. (Or February in Maine)

Antifreeze is also the ONLY LUBRICATION your water pump gets, and YES, it is also there to inhibit corrosion in the cooling system.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 08:24 PM   #20
Titanium48
Titanium48 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Ok, I decided to do a little research on the properties of ethylene glycol. Here is what I found:

Melting/freezing point. The melting point of pure ethylene glycol is -13C. The lowest melting mixture of ethylene glycol and water contains 55% ethylene glycol v/v and melts at -50C. Mixtures containing between 52% and 67% ethylene glycol all melt below -45C. The 50/50 mix melts at -38C. Mixtures containing between 55% and 80% glycol can be cooled below their melting points before freezing under some conditions. The lowest obtainable supercooled temperature without freezing is -63C at 62% glycol.

Boiling point. Pure ethylene glycol boils at 196C. The sea level boiling point of water/glycol mixtures increases fairly linearly from 100C for pure water to about 115C for 70% glycol, then rises more quickly as the glycol concentration increases.

Heat capacity. Heat capacity for water is 4.18 kJ/kg.C. Heat capacity for ethylene glycol is 2.65 kJ/kg.C. This means that the amount of energy that will heat 1 L of water by 10C will heat 1 L of ethylene glycol by 16C

Viscosity. The viscosity of ethylene glycol is about 10x higher than water at 100C and 30x higher at 0C. The 50/50 mix is about twice as viscous as water at 100C and 4x at 0C. 70/30 glycol/water is about 3x and 8x.

What does it all mean? Well, if you live in a tropical climate you can increase your coolant's heat capacity (reducing the temperature increase as it flows through your engine) and reduce it's viscocity (making it easier to pump and *possibly* increasing flow) by using more water. Do note wolfman's points about water pump lubrication and corrosion inhibitors though, and remember that the boiling point will be a few degrees *lower*.
If you live in a very cold climate, you can give yourself more freeze protection by using a little more antifreeze, but going beyond 2/3 antifreeze is counterproductive in many ways. The ideal cold climate mix is probably between 55/45 and 60/40 glycol/water, so wolfman's "add a gallon of antifreeze and top off with water" sounds like a good plan.

References (If you are interested):
http://www.meglobal.biz/literature/p...Global_MEG.pdf (a datasheet from Dow)
Fluid Phase Equilibria (1996) vol.117 p.146 (engineering journal)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Titanium48's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Titanium48 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Titanium48 is offline   Reply With Quote