SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2005, 06:17 PM   #1
kevin2002
kevin2002 is on a distinguished road

Wrench "Owner Appreciation" Vehicle Inspection

I received an "Owners Appreciation" invite to a free oil change and inspection from my local Saturn dealer. I took them up on it. The following was their diagnosis on my 2002 SL w/30K miles:

Brakes - front rotors rusted except small contact area, need to replace; need pads too, of course

Serpentine belt - about ready for replacement (didn't look so bad)

Spark Plugs - change 'em, 30K standard

Of course, the quote was a million bucks, but I was a bit surprised at the brakes. Has anyone else had this situation? Mandatory rotor replacement at 30K, with pad material left. Where do Satty fans go for brakes (including DIY)? Also, any tips on plugs & serpentine belts?

BTW, I did get an offer to buy my SL from one of the salespeople, who also hit me with bad news about Saturn e.g., last year for Vue Honda 6; polymer panels going away; Can't give away a Relay; and soon all Saturns will just be GM clones lioke the Relay; etc... Not news to this board, but it sounded so depressing from an actual Saturn salesperson

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevin2002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevin2002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevin2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2005, 07:02 PM   #2
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Default Re: "Owner Appreciation" Vehicle Inspection

Parts of America's cheapest rotor will do + Med grade pads

Any belt is fine.

NGK plugs only.

Probably cost you around $100 for parts.

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 07:29 PM   #3
Partymmudasti
Advanced Member
Partymmudasti is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Kevin, did you bring your car to Saturn of Lakeside??

We bought our 05 L300 there and I tell ya, between the two dealerships in Macomb (Warren & Lakeside) I definately have a hard time picking the "lesser of two evils".

Anyways I received a "courtesy inspection" card for a free oil change and inspection of my car. Is this what they plan to do? Look for anything that "might" possibly need repair in the future and try to get me to get it done there??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Partymmudasti's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Partymmudasti reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Partymmudasti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 08:25 PM   #4
kevin2002

Yes, it was Saturn of Lakeside. Despite the obvious intent of the invitation, I will say that they didn't hard-sell the suggested repairs, nor did they try to sell me a Relay while I waited. In fact, it was a pleasurable visit. I just think all dealers are on the high side when it comes to repairs, and I was miffed at the brake issue (from a Saturn quality perspective).

I think it's worth the trip for a free oil change and inspection (not to mention coffee & cookies). From what I read in another thread, not everybody got one of these invitations (like we all got the from them begging to trade in our cars). Then there is also that AWD V6 Vue they are giving away if the number on your invitation matches....mine didn't

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kevin2002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-28-2005, 08:32 PM   #5
JS593
JS593 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1

I actually called saturn and spoke to a tech yesterday, this is what i asked him -
I am currently running NGK plugs - POWER V plugs, and i have already done he following service standard tune ups for milage issues -
O2 sensor
cleaned EGR
cleaned throttle body
new thermostat
*tech stoped me*

this is all you need to keep it up to date, when do you do your oil changes

*me*
Once every 2500 KMS as i do alot of city driving

*Him*
Have you replaced your fuel filter?

*me*
the head had a complete overhal but im nto sure if the filter was replaced, it does look old however.

*him*
have you already bought a filter?

*Me*
Yes

*him*
replace it... now

If this does the trick, i would seeriosuly reconsider buying anything else other then a saturn, it was quick, responsive, and he knew what i was talkin about, thats what i love to hear out of a dealer.
just thought i would give my .02$

92 SL1 SOHC TBI
Custom intake
Alpine deck, speakers, amp
JBL Sub
Ultimate amp
Volometer gauge mounted in dash
Magnaflow exhaust
....DEAD.... Car towed away Jan 18 2007. RIP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JS593's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JS593 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JS593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:47 PM   #6
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2002
Yes, it was Saturn of Lakeside. Despite the obvious intent of the invitation, I will say that they didn't hard-sell the suggested repairs, nor did they try to sell me a Relay while I waited. In fact, it was a pleasurable visit. I just think all dealers are on the high side when it comes to repairs, and I was miffed at the brake issue (from a Saturn quality perspective).

I think it's worth the trip for a free oil change and inspection (not to mention coffee & cookies). From what I read in another thread, not everybody got one of these invitations (like we all got the from them begging to trade in our cars). Then there is also that AWD V6 Vue they are giving away if the number on your invitation matches....mine didn't
The thing is, the brakes have what are called " audible
brake lining wear sensors" that give off a high pitched noise that stops when you put on your brakes. That is to tell you when you need to replace the pads. [NOT the same sound as metal on metal when you apply the brakes on scored discs or drums].
Have you heard the sound yet ? [Try going slowly down an alley with your windows open].
25,000 miles was about right for my 99 Cavalier. 30,000 seems awfully early for replacement on a Saturn though [at least from what others here have experienced]. Any pulsating of the brake pedal when you slow down that might indicate warped drums or discs?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:53 PM   #7
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

Brake rotors are made of cast iron and they're going to rust except where the pads rub. For example in the middle are vent holes that always have rust. Though you should have a smooth rust-free surface on both sides of each disc. Look at a car on their used lot; there'll be more rust there on those. Ask them if their used cars are safe to drive then point out the rotors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 09:37 AM   #8
Satman
Satman is on a distinguished road

I recently replaced the brake rotors on the front of my '98 SL1 and it made quite an improvement in the braking. No vibration in the steering wheel. The rotors were only $19 each at the parts store - not the dealership. New pads too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Satman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Satman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Satman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 11:26 AM   #9
kevin2002

Thanks for replies. Good points. I haven't felt any wobbling or anything like that. I may start with the pads-only option first.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-29-2005, 11:49 AM   #10
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

If there's still pad, wouldn't touch those brakes. For some reason dealers, not just Saturn dealers, like to tell you that you need brakes when you don't.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote