SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2005, 05:37 PM   #1
RalliArt16
RalliArt16 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
1995 SC2
Default Replacing Parking Brake Handle Assembly

A while back the button out of my parking brake handle shot out of the hande at my radio, along with a spring. Please note, if this happens to you:

-If you have a 91-96 saturn, you must replace the entire ASSEMBLY. Expect a cost of $76 or so from saturnparts.net, even more from a local dealer. I asked my dealer to match saturnparts.net and they did.
-If you have a 97+, you can replace JUST the button. I think its $10 or less, not sure.

Anyhoo, lets get this show on the road. After recovering from the shock of the cost for the assembly, you will need these tools for the job:

-Ratchet
-10mm and 13mm socket
-Extension(could probably get away without one, but makes things easier)
-Phillips Head Screwdriver
-Flat head screwdriver
-The ability to follow instructions

First, remove the fuse box cover and the cover on the driver's side. This will expose one screw (on each side) holding the center console. Remove them.

Use a flat head screwdriver to pop open the little cover near the back of the console. You will see two screws. Remove these.

There is also a connector for the cigarette lighter, but it does not have to be removed. I found it best to put the shifter in first gear, and then slide the center console upwards and lean it against the drivers seat to hold it up. You should have enough space to do the job.

There is one screw holding the e-brake cover on. Remove it and pull the cover off.
Yours should look like the below picture. Remove the three 13mm bolts holding the handle down. NOTE: One of the top plugs has a ground going to it. Also note there is a sensor that attaches to the handle (its the one that lights up the dash when the parking brake is on).
Remove the sensor by reaching under and pressing the two little clips together and it should pop out. Set the sensor and the ground wire out of the way.

Now to remove the two cables which attach to the rear brakes from the handle. PLEASE NOTE the adjusting bolt below. It attaches the cable which connects to the metal plate connector (and the two cables from the rear brakes hook onto this conenctor). LOOSEN it to give some slack in the line. Then simply unhook the two rear brake cables from the metal connector thing.

Dont forget to take the little bracks that the screws screw into off the old ebrake. There are two for the ones that attach it to the console and one that goes on the handle itself (where the handle cover screw goes into).

Attach these to the new ebrake assembly and reinstall is the reverse of removal. Simply remember to hook up the ground to the same bolt and install the sensor. Tighten the adjuster bolt enough so that it exerts enough pressure on the cables. When its right, the handle should click a couple times when you pull up on it.

Good as new!

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RalliArt16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RalliArt16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RalliArt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2007, 06:00 PM   #2
shrox
shrox is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Replacing Parking Brake Handle Assembly

Thanks friend! Took me about 10 minutes max to do this. Very easy, and saved $70+ on what would have been an hour of labor at a garage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shrox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shrox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
shrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:47 PM   #3
mcpea65
mcpea65 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

I have a 98 LS model, I think, it is the small model for that year. I just went to my local Saturn dealer here in Austin,TX and purchased the push button assembly. I paid $ 46.84 for this item. A far cry from your estimate of $ 10.00 or so. I intend to contact the dealer tomorrow and ask them to clarify this. I looked on the saturnparts.net site and their MSRP was $28.84 and selling price was 24.something. This really saddens me to get stabbed like this. We have always gone to this dealer as they are the only one town. If I have to get any more parts I will definitely try the web first from now on. Thanks for the r&r instructions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mcpea65's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mcpea65 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mcpea65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:17 PM   #4
mcpea65

1998 SL2

Thanks to this forum I now know that I have an SL2 Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mcpea65 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-22-2009, 09:30 PM   #5
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW has a spectacular aura aboutMikeNW has a spectacular aura aboutMikeNW has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL

To mcpea65- but you should fix your sig too.
When people post questions, the forum members want to know what model and year you have. L cars are different than (and inferior to) S cars.

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
mcpea65

1998 SL2

To MikeNW; Thanks for your sharp eye.I haven't posted on this forum before. It is somewhat different than the Model A Ford forums that I usually get on. I bought a button assembly yesterday from Saturn of Austin, TX and today I took it back. I looked up the part on saturnparts.net and the seller there shows the MSRP to be $28.84. The local dealer parts dept charged me $ 46.84 for it. After I took a look at it I decided I would take it out first and see if I can repair it myself. I am Mystified as to how the spring could have come out of the handle and wound up on the passenger side floor. With the super instructions from RalliArt16 it looks like an easy task. Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
huenemeca
huenemeca is on a distinguished road

Can anyone post a link where I can buy a "button assembly" for a 1998 SC2?

I am having trouble find it.

1998 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to huenemeca's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help huenemeca reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
huenemeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
mvball3
mvball3 is on a distinguished road

Need to locate a place where I can purchase an emergency brake Button assembly for a 1999 SL2?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mvball3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mvball3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mvball3 is offline   Reply With Quote