SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Mods and Performance
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2005, 12:01 PM   #1
BoOgA
BoOgA is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Default NOS in a SC2

Hey im thinking about puting a ZEX wet system nos in my 02 SC2. Its only a 70 shot and I havnt upgraded my inturnals yet. But 70 shot is definetly safe for right now right? Anyone have any experince with nos before? any advice? constructive criticism? Im not going to be running it alot maybe a time or two a month and prolly a couple times at the track twice a year.

Remember people... "I before E except for in Budweiser."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BoOgA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BoOgA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2005, 12:31 PM   #2
98greenSC2
Advanced Member
98greenSC2 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
Default Re: NOS in a SC2

From what I understand, a 50 shot is safe on a stock engine. A 75 shot is OK but don't do it too often. You have an '02 so I bet it doesn't have lots of miles on it. That's good. You're less likely to break something.

http://members.cardomain.com/stdmtn11
15.59 @ 87.1 quarter mile
1998 Saturn SC2 *sold* What have I done!?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98greenSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98greenSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-26-2005, 12:42 PM   #3
sps SOHC
Master Member
sps SOHC is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

You MUST have some type of fuel management. Like 98greenSC2 has an Apex-i SAFC. One of those would be extremely necessary w/ any n2o setup.

Oh and btw, NOS is a brand like ZEX. So you can't have a ZEX wet system NOS in your car. Just trying to save you from sounding stupid. Say N2O or nitrous.

-96 SC2 gets 35 mpg mix city/hw.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sps SOHC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sps SOHC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-26-2005, 02:31 PM   #4
BoOgA
BoOgA is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

oh yeah...haha thanks! where can i get a fuel managment thingy's at? your talking about bigger fuel injectors right?

Remember people... "I before E except for in Budweiser."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BoOgA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BoOgA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-26-2005, 03:17 PM   #5
getz999
getz999 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1
2001 SC2

dont use ZEX...please, save your motor

go to www.turbosaturns.net

use NX or NOS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to getz999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help getz999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-26-2005, 03:45 PM   #6
98greenSC2
Advanced Member

1998 SC2

You don't need bigger injectors if you use a wet kit. A dry kit injects only nitrous and relies on the injectors to supply the extra fuel. If you go beyond your injector's abilities, you'll go lean. Lean = BOOM! A wet kit sprays extra fuel along with the nitrous. It doesn't put an extra load on the injectors. A wet kit is what I'd get.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 98greenSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-26-2005, 09:02 PM   #7
Aeain
Advanced Member
Aeain is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by getz999
dont use ZEX...please, save your motor

go to www.turbosaturns.net

use NX or NOS
Nitrous is Nitrous. It doesn't matter what system he uses. Just that he is smart about it.

Andrew
2004 ION Red Line

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Aeain's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Aeain reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-27-2005, 01:35 AM   #8
getz999

2001 SL1
2001 SC2

yes, but im just trying to save him the trouble of going through 80 sets of solenoids...also, ive heard horror stores about the pills beign the wrong size...so if your going for a 50 shot, you might actually install a 60 or something thinkin otherwise

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help getz999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-27-2005, 07:14 AM   #9
sps SOHC
Master Member

1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoOgA
oh yeah...haha thanks! where can i get a fuel managment thingy's at? your talking about bigger fuel injectors right?
You need to stop thinking about buying nitrous and start thinking about learning everything you can learn about engine performance and fuel/nitrous injection.

DO NOT attempt anything until you know exactly what you are talking about.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sps SOHC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-01-2005, 12:01 PM   #10
Bigbadbert
Bigbadbert is on a distinguished road

I agree. You need to read up some and learn learn learn. Just some info....quite a few people have run up to a 75 shot with a wet kit quite reliably. A few things are key though. Do a compression/ leakdown test before hand.

1. Do NOT spray below 3000 rpms, or anything less than full throttle. If you think 3k is too low, wait until 3.5-4k. Nitrous makes a butt ton of torque, so you want to save it for the higher rpms. Your engine will thank you.

2. DO NOT hit the fuel cut off while spraying. No fuel + nitrous = bad.

3. Get at least 2 step colder plugs. This will help to prevent detonation. Its alright to run these for normal driving as well.

4. Make sure your tank has only 91-93 octane gas. If you have a choice between the two, get 93. Helps with detonation as well. Yeah high octane is expensive...but what costs more? A few gallons of that, or a rebuild? Try to stay away from octane boosters as well.

5. Bottle pressure needs to be ~900. This means keeping the bottle warm. If its low it could cause puddling, lagging, or worse....

6. Dont spray through shifts. This is debatable, but better safe than sorry.

If any of this confuses you, then dont even think about buying a kit until you understand what it means. Its a pretty safe setup if done correctly. You dont HAVE to have any sort of fuel management with a wet kit, but you could definitely pull out some more power, and make it that much safer. And like they said...I would reccomend the NX kit, just because its very simple to install(basically a bolt on kit), and comes with everything you would need, besides the little goodies. I loved mine.

'01 SC2 - sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigbadbert's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigbadbert reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-01-2005, 12:10 PM   #11
sps SOHC
Master Member

1996 SC2

I say fuel management setup. Better safe than sorry! It's not worth the risk to me.
An Apex-i SAFC can be had on ebay for a decent price. You can gain more power w/out the nitrous by tuning it and then be a lot better off when you spray.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-01-2005, 03:09 PM   #12
Aeain
Advanced Member
Aeain is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line

Window Switch would help.

Andrew
2004 ION Red Line

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Aeain's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Aeain reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2005, 12:29 PM   #13
Bigbadbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps SOHC
I say fuel management setup. Better safe than sorry! It's not worth the risk to me.
An Apex-i SAFC can be had on ebay for a decent price. You can gain more power w/out the nitrous by tuning it and then be a lot better off when you spray.

Tuning it for N/A, then spraying with that tune would probably not be advisable. The a/f ratio is going to change quite a bit between the two, so a person would need to decide on one or the other. It hurts nothing by having some means to tune...you can gain a little power and know exactly what your afr is. But like I said, its NOT a must have thing until you start getting into the higher shots. An easy way to do it is to go to the dyno, and have them hook up a wideband o2 sensor. Then you can use the different sized fuel jets to adjust to your/the cars liking. Obviously others will disagree, but in the end its your car. Just make sure you research enough to know the difference between facts and people just spewing forth crap (not directed at any one).

I havent heard anything horrible about Zex, but I hear that their hp numbers are rated at the crank for their jets, where as NX and NOS are rated at the wheels.

'01 SC2 - sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bigbadbert reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2005, 12:34 PM   #14
sps SOHC
Master Member

1996 SC2

I believe the SAFC II has a setting for running N2O or somethin like that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-03-2005, 04:28 PM   #15
Bigbadbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps SOHC
I believe the SAFC II has a setting for running N2O or somethin like that.
The II should have two seperate settings available, yes. That way you can set one for N/A and one for when you use the nitrous.

'01 SC2 - sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-03-2005, 09:47 PM   #16
98greenSC2
Advanced Member

1998 SC2

OK, how about running a fuel jet on a wet kit one size larger than what the shot you're running calls for? Say you run a 50 shot but have the 75 shot fuel jet instead of the 50. Wouldn't that help keep it from going too lean?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-04-2005, 06:32 AM   #17
Bigbadbert

The fuel jets are typically made to run fairly rich under good circumstances. So yes, a 75 shot fuel jet with a 50 shot nitrous jet would make it VERY rich. There is a such a thing as running too rich. It can cause damage just like running lean can. You can buy alot of different sized jets, so there would be better options. Im pretty sure they offer them for a 65 shot.

When it comes to smaller shots, such as a 35-50, its usually pretty safe as is(when used correclty). In fact you could probably get away with running a slightly smaller fuel jet instead, to get more power. But none of this is advisable, unless you either have your own wide band O2 sensor, or have access to a dyno.

'01 SC2 - sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-04-2005, 07:51 AM   #18
getz999

2001 SL1
2001 SC2

we run rich as hell anyway for the gas mileage

under wot i can hit an A/F of 11.01:1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-04-2005, 10:18 AM   #19
Bigbadbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by getz999
we run rich as hell anyway for the gas mileage

under wot i can hit an A/F of 11.01:1
Exactly!

'01 SC2 - sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2005, 09:10 AM   #20
sps SOHC
Master Member

1996 SC2

You could have a switch where the N2O would only spray at WOT. That would be the safest route without some type of AFC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!