SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2005, 08:29 AM   #1
TAtkinsonFD
TAtkinsonFD is on a distinguished road

Default high idle

well guys i'm new my name is tyler i drive an 04 QC it is idling high i mean like 3000 rpm high i was at the track, had a few runs and the started idling high dont know why, when it is cold in the morning it doesnt idle as high but once it warms up it starts doing it again, i think it could be a gasket or somethin but i just dont know, and what is the sensor that is in my intake between the air box and TB???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TAtkinsonFD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TAtkinsonFD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TAtkinsonFD is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2005, 07:19 AM   #2
wiseguy3501
wiseguy3501 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: high idle

It should be the mass airflow sensor. Unless there is more than just one in between the two. I'm too lazy to go out to my garage to look right now. Its ******* cold out there. LOL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wiseguy3501's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wiseguy3501 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wiseguy3501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 12:13 PM   #3
bilcha
bilcha is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Search "high idle" and you will find a lot of posts, a lot of them from me proclaiming that a software upgrade somehow fixed the problem. Apparently that was a temporary fix as the problem recently resurfaced. Dealer has had my car since yesterday morning trying to find out exactly what the problem is.

I'll let ya know what I find out when I hear from them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bilcha's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bilcha reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bilcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 06:28 PM   #4
TAtkinsonFD

thanks for the info i am gonna take my car in tomarrow

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help TAtkinsonFD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-27-2005, 09:55 AM   #5
Bertillion
Bertillion is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2008 AURA XE

My car does this in the colder weather. It can be dangerous because the car likes to move even when you have the brakes on. My dealer can never reproduce the problem of course. Quick fix is to shut the car off and reset it. Has to be a software glitch or it would run fine afterwards. Keep us posted.

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bertillion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bertillion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bertillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 09:31 AM   #6
bilcha

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Got my car back yesterday, Saturn seemed a little confused about the fact that the problem had mysteriously re-appeared almost a year after their last little firmware upgrade. Nonetheless they were able to reproduce the problem (and get it to do it 100% of the time for that matter).

No codes in the ECM of course, only thing they found was that the Throttle Position Sensor was reporting 2% with the throttle closed. A new TPS seems to have resolved the issue for now, but we’ll see later down the road.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bilcha reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-28-2005, 01:29 PM   #7
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcha
Got my car back yesterday, Saturn seemed a little confused about the fact that the problem had mysteriously re-appeared almost a year after their last little firmware upgrade. Nonetheless they were able to reproduce the problem (and get it to do it 100% of the time for that matter).

No codes in the ECM of course, only thing they found was that the Throttle Position Sensor was reporting 2% with the throttle closed. A new TPS seems to have resolved the issue for now, but we’ll see later down the road.

Great. I printed out Bilcha's old thread and the thread by the new poster that was having the same problem. Took the car in for servicing and they could not reproduce the problem, but they did reprogram the computer.

The crappy thing is I had the RPM surge up to 5K once at a stoplight and got pushed into an intersection.

Then usually while stopped the car would rev to 2K or so, which would also push the car forward.

This went on for a month or so every few days, then it just stopped doing it for a few months.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 01:35 PM   #8
bilcha

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Easiest way I've found to "reproduce" the problem is a bit of spirited driving (sustained highway speeds) on a cold day. Just so happened it was doing it when I showed up to the dealer, they let it run for two hours just to see what it would do, after that it started up and stayed at the high idle every single time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-31-2005, 05:12 PM   #9
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcha
Easiest way I've found to "reproduce" the problem is a bit of spirited driving (sustained highway speeds) on a cold day. Just so happened it was doing it when I showed up to the dealer, they let it run for two hours just to see what it would do, after that it started up and stayed at the high idle every single time.

The time I was pushed into the intersection was from a cold start, at night, and it happened at the first intersection less than .1 miles from work.

I have this problem documented and regardless of whether or not Saturn or their dealers can reproduce this problem, if something happens with the car due to this hard this problem I will do everything I can to seek out some justice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 10:24 PM   #10
Rm88de
Rm88de is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Happy Re: high idle

My 03 QC was doing that last month. I took it to my dealer and they told me there was a service bulletin on the problem. They fixed it right on the spot. It's been 5 weeks and the problem has not came back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rm88de's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rm88de reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rm88de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 04:40 AM   #11
TAtkinsonFD

what was the service bulletin??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-02-2005, 08:35 AM   #12
racegirlfor1
racegirlfor1 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

i have a 2003 ion... and when i came into work today.. and put the car in park.. it was idling high.. like at the 2 on the rpm when it was in park... this is the first time that i noticed that it did this.. i didn't wait to see if it went down i just shut the car off.... of course my warranty just went off.. but i only have almost 20,000 miles on it.. any suggestions... like should i just see if it does it again.. or try to take it in.. which stinks cause the warranty is off... i'm sure the people at the dealership ... wonder about me when i tell them.. well i know some others were having this same probably.. i belong to a saturn board... ha...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to racegirlfor1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help racegirlfor1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
racegirlfor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 09:23 AM   #13
Bertillion

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2008 AURA XE

Well if the warranty just went off I would take it in to them because they will probably actually find something wrong now that it has expired. lol If it is something that is not your fault like a software glitch or something I would make a little noise if I were you. Ducklet had an issue where her warranty just ran out and she was having a problem. She called the main Saturn people in Springhill or Detroit and they made it possible for the repairs to be fixed for free. I would be curious to see what they say though. They can't force you to get it repaired after all.

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bertillion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2005, 08:08 AM   #14
racegirlfor1

2003 ION-2 Sedan

well this morning my ion did the same thing though this time i was at a stop light and shouldn't the rpm's be at 0? they were at 1 and it jumped even when i had the brake on then when i put it in park it revved up to 3.
so i'm taking it in the morning so hopefully it will reproduce the same problem!! and they will take care of it cause my warranty is off. can someone give me or tell me what the service bullentin is for this problem? and saturns the main number to complain just in case they try to stick me paying it.

thanks...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help racegirlfor1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2005, 01:03 PM   #15
Bertillion

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2008 AURA XE

TSB:
04-06-04-029

Years:
2003 & 2004

Problem:
Erratic engine idle speed (stalls at idle/when stopping, or engine RPM flares/surges).

Recommended Dealer Correction:
Check idle air control valve position counts. If out of range, replace IAC valve, or ECM if problem persists.

This is actually for a shift flare problem. I'm not 100% sure what your problem is, but this is not a solution to the high idle issue some of us are having. There is no TSB out for our issue as far as I know. You can try this one at least.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-03-2005, 03:37 PM   #16
racegirlfor1

2003 ION-2 Sedan

i found this on the site too... this might be closer to the problem i'm having

Make: SATURN
Model: ION
Year: 2003
Type: PASSENGER CAR
Service Bulletin Number: 040604029
NHTSA Item Number: 10006738
Summary Description:
ERRATIC ENGINE SPEED CONTROL AT CLOSED THROTTLE. ELEVATED ENGINE RPM AND/OR STALL. *TT THIS BULLETIN REPLACES PREVIOUS VERSION DATED APRIL 2004. *TT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-03-2005, 04:03 PM   #17
Bertillion

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2008 AURA XE

Possibly. Let us know if you get a answer.

Call this number too if the dealer is no help...

Saturn Corp., Division of General Motors Corp.
Saturn Customer Assistance Center
100 Saturn Parkway
Spring Hill, TN 37174
931-486-5050
Toll free: 1-800-553-6000
TDD toll free: 1-800-833-6000
Fax: 931-486-5059
Web site: www.saturn.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2005, 10:35 AM   #18
racegirlfor1

2003 ION-2 Sedan

so i took my ion into the dealership this morning.. and of course it wasn't doing the high idle thing.. i think it wasn't cold enough out.. needless to say they couldn't get it to do it and they didn't see anything when they ran a check because i guess when it does that the check engine light should come on.. so they said there was a software upgrade and they did that and widened the parameters a bit so they said that should help.. so we shall see next really cold morning!!... i hope it takes care of the problem.. i hate going to the dealership... even though they are really nice (customer friendly) and put it under warranty (wink wink)!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2005, 10:46 AM   #19
Bertillion

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2008 AURA XE

I like the dealership too, but I hate waiting 45 minutes for a oil change. They usually check for error codes from the computer and if they don't see any they automatically say all is fine. You usually have to pipe up some to get them to take a closer look or have some evidence. Hopefully that works and I will ask them to do the same thing to my car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2005, 12:51 PM   #20
racegirlfor1

2003 ION-2 Sedan

i mentioned if there was a service bulletin... he said no.. i said well i know some others were having the same problem.. and threw the throttle sensor position out there but he said they think it was just the software... so hopefully it takes care of it and i won't have to go back to the dealership for a long time!... (PS is it true that the saturn ions have a mercedes benz oil filter? )

REWARD EXCELLENCE!