SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Mods and Performance
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2005, 05:53 PM   #1
sickcallawayc12
sickcallawayc12 is on a distinguished road

Default AEM Cold Air Intake

WOO HOO! Installed my cai saturday morning and it kicks ass!!!! I haven't noticed too much performance wise cuz i haven't redlined my car all that much, but gas mileage is just terrific. can't believe i wussed out on the ebay version a year ago. they sent me red instead of blue though . Took me about an hour and fifteen minutes to do the job. Only issue i had was i didn't install the rubber grommet for the IAT (the thought just never occured to me, don't know why). just thought i'd share my good news to you all. cheers!

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LT
all stock for now (nothin' wrong with that either)

I'll miss my Saturn, from the AEM CAI to the rear main oil seal leaks to the giant APC stickers on the side (sarcasm)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sickcallawayc12's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sickcallawayc12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2005, 06:33 PM   #2
micah_sl2
micah_sl2 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
Default Re: AEM Cold Air Intake

does the low end power decrease at all like it seems to with my bomz warm air intake?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to micah_sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help micah_sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-16-2005, 06:48 PM   #3
sickcallawayc12

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_sl2
does the low end power decrease at all like it seems to with my bomz warm air intake?
It does some, but it doesn't seem as bad as i thought it would be. Probably cuz i have a header and bigger exhaust. Why do you think you're losin' low end power with a WAI?

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LT

I'll miss my Saturn, from the AEM CAI to the rear main oil seal leaks to the giant APC stickers on the side (sarcasm)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sickcallawayc12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-17-2005, 10:17 AM   #4
Raptor Cardel
Raptor Cardel is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1

I talked to the owner of SPS about the AEM cold air intake improving fuel mileage. He has stated it does not help, Nor reduce fuel economy. Im skeptical about people saying it increases fuel economy.

Does it add power? Yup, 10 horses.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Raptor Cardel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Raptor Cardel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-17-2005, 10:42 AM   #5
sps SOHC
Master Member
sps SOHC is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

I dunno why some people say they don't notice a power increase. I noticed a HUGE jump and before I was running the stock plumbing w/ no filter (I wasn't aware of that though).
There was a huge jump at about 4500 rpm all the way to redline. It gets shot down in the 3K rpm range though.

It reduced my fuel economy...well, that's just because redline sounds so great.

-96 SC2 gets 35 mpg mix city/hw.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sps SOHC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sps SOHC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-17-2005, 04:33 PM   #6
Sony
Sony is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

now is that 10 added horse at the wheels or is that at the flywheel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sony's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sony reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-17-2005, 04:44 PM   #7
Raptor Cardel
Raptor Cardel is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1

I'd assume wheels.. Since Dyno testing shows a 10 horse increase

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Raptor Cardel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Raptor Cardel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-17-2005, 05:11 PM   #8
the_skin_eater
the_skin_eater is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

It aint 10....Thats a big increase just for the intake. The say that, but it usually less....

And besides, a CAI would reduce mileage...More air=more gas=less economy.

Im not crazy, just bored...
http://www.cardomain.com/id/the_skin_eater ---Chek it out.

All my time goes to the Talon...My girlfriend is jealous. But my car is jealous that I sleep with her...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to the_skin_eater's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help the_skin_eater reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-17-2005, 05:56 PM   #9
serenitythen
serenitythen has a spectacular aura aboutserenitythen has a spectacular aura aboutserenitythen has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickcallawayc12
WOO HOO! Installed my cai saturday morning and it kicks ass!!!! I haven't noticed too much performance wise cuz i haven't redlined my car all that much, but gas mileage is just terrific.
You installed cai on Saturday morning and then posted Sunday afternoon that gas mileage is terrific.

How many miles do you drive a day to notice MPG improvement
What are your before -and- after mpg #'s

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to serenitythen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help serenitythen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2005, 07:09 AM   #10
sps SOHC
Master Member

1996 SC2

YES it's at the wheels, but it's NOT 10 whp at redline. It's just the largest gain overall at around 5K rpm. At redline the gain is less than 5 whp I believe.

t_s_e you're not exactly right about the CAI reducing gas mileage. Basically you're saying if I have less air then it would be less gas and more economy? I guess when you have a dirty air filter you get less air but your gas mileage suffers. Right?
It's all about efficiency. A CAI makes the engine more efficient, so in the end it should get better gas mileage but with the way people drive with it (less low end torque, they rev higher) the gas mileage is usually less.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sps SOHC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2005, 08:16 AM   #11
saturnd00d
saturnd00d will become famous soon enough

2008 VUE 2.4L

colder air is more dense, so it burns better, thus increasing fuel economy. Now, flooring it though will obviously decrease fuel economy, and people often floor it more after an intake upgrade to hear the mean growling of the intake under hard acceleration. If driven conservatively though, you will notice a slight increase in MPG than stock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnd00d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnd00d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2005, 10:47 AM   #12
sps SOHC
Master Member

1996 SC2

yes saturnd00d but the main reason why people don't see an increase in MPG is because the power in the low-end has actually DECREASED. This makes acceleration slower (sometimes noticeably). Nobody likes to accelerate slower! So they push it a little more to accelerate faster, usually you'll only feel the real power gain high up in the RPM range. Like I know the AEM CAI also has a large torque gain of about 10 ft lbs around 5K rpm. Once you hit that spot you will be like "HOLY SHISTA!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-18-2005, 07:15 PM   #13
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

look on www.aempower.com they have dyno results for the SRS and CAI so you can see the hp and torque increases.
http://www.aempower.com/pdf/dyno/21-...ries%20CAS.pdf
http://www.aempower.com/pdf/dyno/21-...2SeriesCAS.pdf
http://www.aempower.com/pdf/dyno/22-...ries%20SRS.pdf
http://www.aempower.com/pdf/dyno/22-...ries%20SRS.pdf

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2005, 10:00 PM   #14
cloud819
Master Member
cloud819 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

Reducing intake and exhaust drag always increases gas mileage*. A free flowing intake reduces drag.

The fact that more more air=more fuel is correct, but the idea that your engine less efficaint is flawed. The intake allows you to take in more air, it does not force the use of more air. People see drecreases in gas mileage when they do an intake or an exhaust because they get in the gas more often; the sound is addictive.

Even though the graph shows a decress of power on the 91-99 Saturn, There isn't a huge reason for it. The intake piping and filter have little to deal with low end power. Most of the air disturbances that allow for mixing of the air and fuel are behind the throttle plate. Perhaps in the older engine that is not the case. Or perhaps a runner issue on the earlier model intake manifold is to blaim.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cloud819's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cloud819 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2005, 11:07 AM   #15
sickcallawayc12

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenitythen
You installed cai on Saturday morning and then posted Sunday afternoon that gas mileage is terrific.

How many miles do you drive a day to notice MPG improvement
What are your before -and- after mpg #'s
sorry i don't have any numbers to back this up. I drove to a town an hour away two days in a row and i didn't use up that much gas after the intake was installed. It probably isn't much of a gain but enought of a gain for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud819
Even though the graph shows a decress of power on the 91-99 Saturn, There isn't a huge reason for it. The intake piping and filter have little to deal with low end power. Most of the air disturbances that allow for mixing of the air and fuel are behind the throttle plate. Perhaps in the older engine that is not the case. Or perhaps a runner issue on the earlier model intake manifold is to blaim.
I've been told the manifold runners on our cars suck cuz of how they're designed, still too much restriction. The Saturn Motorsports model still sounds tempting though....

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2005, 02:37 AM   #16
lance49726
lance49726 is on a distinguished road

"The basic operating principle of an automobile engine can be described as a simple air pump. Air and fuel are drawn into each cylinder as the piston moves down; then as the piston moves up, the air is compressed. When the piston nears the top, the air-fuel mixture is ignited, and the rapid expansion of the air forces the piston down, which rotates the engine crankshaft and ultimately moves the car. The air-fuel mixture will ignite and combust properly only if mixed in the proper ratio. For gasoline, the average ratio for combustion (stoichiometric ratio) is 14:1; that is, 14 pounds of air is required to completely burn one pound of gasoline. With this in mind, hot air is less dense than cold air; therefore, the engine breathes less hot air per revolution and requires less fuel.

http://www.swri.edu/10light/mile.htm

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lance49726's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lance49726 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-07-2005, 04:00 AM   #17
lance49726
lance49726 is on a distinguished road

An explanation of cold weather's effect on mileage

Fuel economy is reduced when the ambient air temperature is low. There are several reasons for this.

1) Fuel atomizes poorly when cold. The fuel must be atomized to be burned in the combustion chamber. If a smaller percentage of the fuel atomizes, more fuel must be added to provide enough atomized fuel to burn. Therefore all cars run a "rich" mixture when they are cold, the colder the engine, the richer the mixture. The engine will eventually warm to operating temperature (about 190 deg. F), but the colder the engine is, the longer it will take. Even after the engine is fully warmed up, cold ambient air will continue to cool as it mixes with the fuel, causing poor atomization.

http://www.artsautomotive.com/Mileage.htm

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lance49726's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lance49726 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-07-2005, 09:11 AM   #18
cloud819
Master Member
cloud819 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

Good point. You can have air that is too cold. But I don't think that is the problem for the decreases that people see in gas mileage due to the CAI.

Most cold tempature gas mileage issues are more to do with the engine taking longer to warm up. In my 2.5 block commute I barely get to operating tempature before I'm at work in the winter.

But based on what you have posted I could see it argued that a CAI could be a wash for fuel economy in some cases. In cold weather the decreased drag for the intake could be cancelled out by the lower amount of atomization of the fuel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cloud819's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cloud819 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!