SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2005, 01:16 PM   #1
cindykayecat
cindykayecat is on a distinguished road

Happy hot,hot,hot

Hi Everyone! Hope someone can help me out there. I'm new to 'tooling' around with cars. Can someone give me some easy to understand answers? My '94 manual Saturn (4-door-if that matters) is over-heating. If I want to check on what's wrong from easiest problem to the most difficult, what would I do and where would the parts be in the car so I can find them. Would anyone be willing to help an amateur out? Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cindykayecat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cindykayecat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cindykayecat is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2005, 01:20 PM   #2
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: hot,hot,hot

How is it overheating? Is coolant overflowing from the coolant tank? Is the guage in the red?

Or is the gauge just reading 3/4 hot or so?

--Tom

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 11:04 PM   #3
So.CalifsJnRe24
So.CalifsJnRe24 is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2
Wrench Re: hot,hot,hot

Hey, yeah my 93' Standard SC2 Coupe is having that same problem. Can anyone help? Its not the radiator or fan....my conclusion is an electrical problem. I think I have got it down to the relays but I can't quite put my finger on it..anyone??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to So.CalifsJnRe24's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help So.CalifsJnRe24 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
So.CalifsJnRe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 12:47 AM   #4
FrozenPilot
FrozenPilot is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

Search and ye shall find....

Saturn coolant temp gauges say the engine runs hot. Well, thats not entirely true. Seeing the gauge go 3/4 up the scale is normal in traffic. You should hear the cooling fan engage before it goes into the red, or you can activate the fan by momentarily having the A/C on. In motion, 1/4 to 1/2 up the scale is considered normal.

Its all about the coffee...

'06 Mazda 6i & '95 Saturn SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FrozenPilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FrozenPilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FrozenPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 01:35 AM   #5
RalliArt16
RalliArt16 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

If you're overheating, first thing to check would be your coolant level. When the engine is HOT the coolant will read higher than what it actually is.. for a "true" reading check on a cold engine. Saturn "s" series run hot by design.. as wolfman and others have stated.. anything between 1/4 and 3/4 (but not in the red) is considered "normal". Unless you are hitting the red and the coolant is starting to boil, I wouldn't fret.

When I see it hit half I typically turn the A/C on for a second to kick the fans on. Maybe when my lazy ass gets around to it I'll install a manual fan switch.

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RalliArt16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RalliArt16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RalliArt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:17 AM   #6
Earl43P
Earl43P is on a distinguished road

Seems nobody is really helping you.

Your engine has two temp sensors (do a search for Temp Sensor or ECTS). One controls the fan relay; the other tells the computer the engine coolant temp. ECTS commonly go bad and cause driveability problems.

Step one: Test your coolant. If lousy or old, flush and refill. I would replace the thermostat at this time (after you drain out the old coolant) just as a good practice, plus it may be your problem. All easy and cheap for a do-it-yourselfer. There are also reports of the Coolant reservoir CAP causing overheating (does it hiss off pressure when you unscrew it when the engine is still warm?). Another cheap part that may help. While you are there, run your engine with that cap off. There should be a good flow visible happening in that tank. If not, your water pump is bad. Moderately difficult job.

Step Two: When you say it is overheating, be more specific. Are you seeing the temp gage climb toward the red (typically during stop and go traffic)? If so, turn on your air conditioner switch and does the gage drop back down to a more normal range? If so, replace the fan relay temp switch. For the money, I'd change them BOTH at this time with genuine Saturn parts from the dealer. Talking ~30 bucks here. Also very easy for a do-it-youselfer. Just need tools.

Finally, All the answers to your problem are already well-covered in these forums. Simply utilize the SEARCH button to get responses. I also recommend the How-To Library. There are even photos so you'll know which temp sensor is which, etc. Good luck. Write back if you have more questions and lots of folks should chime in with ideas to help you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Earl43P's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Earl43P reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Earl43P is offline   Reply With Quote