SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2005, 05:44 PM   #1
tgparker
tgparker is on a distinguished road

1997 SW1
Dizzy Replacing Rear Door Vent Glass on 92 SL Sedan.

Replacing Rear Door Vent Glass on 92 SL Sedan.

I've located some pretty reasonable sources for the missing/broken passenger side rear door vent glass on my 92 SL Sedan. The big question is how do I do the job?

It doesn't look like they used the regular hard rubber chalking strip to hold in the glass.

It looks more like some kind of thermoplastic gooey rubbery chalking is holding the glass in place.

Are there any special chalking kits for replacing Saturn glass that I can buy?

Are there any instructions or tech manuals that explain how to do this type of job on this site or anywhere else on-line?

Thanks in advance.

Tony

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tgparker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tgparker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tgparker is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2005, 06:14 PM   #2
schultp
schultp is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Replacing Rear Door Vent Glass on 92 SL Sedan.

Are you referring to the rear door stationary window section (the triangular shaped portion at the rear side of the door)?

If so, it is easiest to replace the entire frame and window section as a whole. They are easy to remove and install. I'll be doing mine tomorrow due to some rust through in the frames. I bought them used from someone on this board who was parting out an Gen1 SL sedan.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "rear door vent glass".

Paul.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to schultp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help schultp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
schultp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 07:45 PM   #3
tgparker

1997 SW1

Paul:

Thanks for your comments, and please keep me posted how you're going to change the window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schultp
Are you referring to the rear door stationary window section (the triangular shaped portion at the rear side of the door)?
Yes I guess so. "Rear Vent Glass" is the nomenclature that the various autoparts websites gave the part. go see Car-Part.com...

BTW, does the the triangular window come complete with the metal frame?
Quote:
If so, it is easiest to replace the entire frame and window section as a whole. They are easy to remove and install. I'll be doing mine tomorrow due to some rust through in the frames. I bought them used from someone on this board who was parting out an Gen1 SL sedan.
I would very much like to receive more details/information as to how the "triangular shaped window at the rear of the door" is replaced. Are there any mauals, or tech sheet either on-line or hard copy that might describe the procedure?
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by the "rear door vent glass".
Paul.
That's the term that the used parts distributors and junkyards use to describe the part. I guess the qustion to ask whether or not the the window comes complete with it's metal frame.
All the best, and thanks in advance...
Tony

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help tgparker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-09-2005, 02:50 AM   #4
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

First get yourself a set of torx bits if you dont already have some.

1. Remove the outer door handle. To remove it lift it and remove the two push pins holding it in place. Push in their centers then pull out the outer sleeve. Then slide the handle towards the front of the car.

2. Remove the black weather strip at the top of the door panel where it meets the glass. Use a tool to pry the back end of the strip and pull it up vertically to detatch it from the panel

3. Open the door and using a torx bit remove all the torx bolts securing the outer panel to the door frame. Close the door and remove the outer door panel.

4. Once the panel is off you'll se another torx bolt, right below the frame of the triangular window. Remove it.

5. Next peel back the rubber weather strip at the top of the door to reveal another small torx screw. Its near the top corner of the door frame. Remove the screw.

6. Roll down the window all the way and remove the triangular glass. Grab it towards the top and pull towards the front of the car. Its been there a while so it might be tough to get out. Just keep pulling, it will come out.

Install in reverse order.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:32 AM   #5
tgparker

1997 SW1
Dizzy Re: Replacing Rear Door Vent Glass on 92 SL Sedan.

Thanks!

That was great! especially the exploded vue picture, which I guess comes from either the Saturn factory service manual, or the Chilton or Haynes manuals.

Are there any on-line resources that have any of these manual in digital form?

Thanking you again!

Tony

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-09-2005, 01:42 PM   #6
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

I got it from saturnparts.net. But views like that come from the factory service manuals.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-09-2005, 03:47 PM   #7
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

It costs to subscribe, but www.alldata.com also has a lot of exploded views and wiring diagrams. At $25 a year for a DIY, it's not a bad deal at all.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 09:16 PM   #8
tgparker

1997 SW1

Dear Low Saturn:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn
5. Next peel back the rubber weather strip at the top of the door to reveal another small torx screw. Its near the top corner of the door frame. Remove the screw.
Thanks for the excellent advise and information.

The replacment rear door vent glass arrived from a Auto parts recylcer (aka auto junkyard) Friday. I noticed on the part that I received there's quite a bit of spongey rubber weather strip type material all around it. It's pretty mangled and I'm not sure whether I should keep it or clean it off of the part.

Do you remove the existing stuff or do you replace it with other rubber spongey weather strip material or do you use RTV chalking. IF so what brands do you use and when do you get it.

Thanking you in advance,

Tony

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-15-2005, 10:43 PM   #9
schultp

Here is the text for the installation directly from my 1993 FSM:

Installation:

1. Apply closed cell foam tape to top rear and bottom edge of stationary window frame if damaged.
2. Install stationary window into upper door frame. Press into place and install and tighten screws.
3. Install removed portion of secondary weatherstrip into frame.
4. Install glass weatherstrip into rear portion of upper frame and stationary window frame.
5. Install outer door panel.

Hope this clarifies things for you!

Paul.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help schultp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-15-2005, 11:22 PM   #10
tgparker

1997 SW1

Paul:

Thanks for the clues!

Quote:
1. Apply closed cell foam tape to top rear and bottom edge of stationary window frame if damaged.
What is "closed cell foam tape? Can you get it from Saturn? Aftermarket? Where can I get it? What quality? what grade? etc...
Quote:
3. Install removed portion of secondary weatherstrip into frame.
What is "secondary weatherstrip"? Can you get it from Saturn? Aftermarket? Where can I get it? What quality? what grade? etc...
Quote:
4. Install glass weatherstrip into rear portion of upper frame and stationary window frame.
What is "glass weatherstrip"? Can you get it from Saturn? Aftermarket? Where can I get it? What quality? what grade? etc...

Thanks in advance,

Tony

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-16-2005, 10:13 AM   #11
tgparker

1997 SW1

Maybe I'm really dense, are there Saturn OEM or Aftermarket Pats Numbers or Specs for these items?

"closed cell foam tape"
"secondary weatherstrip"
"glass weatherstrip"

I couldn't find any reference to these items in my Chiltons or Haynes manuals. Is there some on-line reference where I might be able to locatepart numbers so I can order these items?

Thank you in advance,

Tony

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-16-2005, 04:08 PM   #12
schultp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgparker
Maybe I'm really dense, are there Saturn OEM or Aftermarket Pats Numbers or Specs for these items?

"closed cell foam tape"
"secondary weatherstrip"
"glass weatherstrip"

I couldn't find any reference to these items in my Chiltons or Haynes manuals. Is there some on-line reference where I might be able to locatepart numbers so I can order these items?

Thank you in advance,

Tony
Tony,

The closed cell foam tape can be obtained at any hardware store. It is basically a roll of foam that has adhesive on one side. It comes in various widths and depths. Take a look at the remnants left behind on your replacement windows and you should get an idea of the size of closed cell foam you need. I think 3/8" wide by 1/4" deep would be pretty close.

The secondary weatherstrip and window glass weatherstrip are simply the black rubber weather stripping that you pried loose to remove your rear stationary windows. Simply re-use your old ones if they are not damaged. It they are damaged I think I could dig up the Saturn part #s for you. (They are in the rear door parts schematic in the previous post).

Paul.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-25-2005, 08:37 PM   #13
tgparker

1997 SW1

Well, I did it. I sucessfully replaced the rear vent glass... in the pouring rain and after dark... I ran out of dylight! The only thing I mangles were those plastice nylon rivet things that attach the door handle to the door handle levers. Do you have any idea what the Saturn or Aftermarket part numbers are for those things or where I might be able to buy them?

All the best! Thank you all for all your fantastic help!

THIS FORUM RULES!!!!!!!

Tony

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-25-2005, 09:53 PM   #14
schultp

Glad to hear of your success! It the little pins that hold the exterior door handle are functional...just re-use them. If you need new ones stop by the Saturn dealer. I'm sure even with a 25x mark-up they will still only be $0.50 each!

Paul.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-25-2005, 10:13 PM   #15
Low Saturn

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgparker
Do you have any idea what the Saturn or Aftermarket part numbers are for those things or where I might be able to buy them?
Saturn part number 21097229 and they're $0.66.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-30-2005, 05:28 PM   #16
Scout238
Scout238 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1
1996 SL1

Note to others who attempt on a 2nd Gen:

I had to replace mine on a 97 SL1. The directions above help, but are not exact for the 2nd gen. There is one bolt on the bottom of the quarter window frame. It is accessible from the inside panel underneath the plastic.

Also there was no tape for mine.... The window just popped out and slid the new one into place.

P.S. I also had the rolling window out.

Hope this helps some others!
-Nathan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Scout238's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Scout238 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Scout238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 07:23 PM   #17
neerajsood
neerajsood is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,
this information is real helpful, but can anyone of guide me how to change the vent glass for SL1'97. i am a complete naive in this matter dont know where to start from.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to neerajsood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help neerajsood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
neerajsood is offline   Reply With Quote