SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 11:37 AM   #1
NEWLW300OWNR
NEWLW300OWNR is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Down If this is common Saturn has a HUGE problem

While at the nearest Saturn dealer for some warranty work on my LW300, I noticed a V6 L sedan on a lift in the service area with the engine and subframe completely removed from the car. Service department said car has a problem with oil and water mixing in car's oil cooler. Is this problem common? What is cause of this? Defective part or poor engineering? Wouldn't the engine sustain permanent damage from water in the oil? The impression I got was they were going to just flush the engine out (oil passages and cooling passages?) after fixing/replacing the oil cooler.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NEWLW300OWNR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NEWLW300OWNR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2001, 02:09 PM   #2
L300Boy
Master Member
L300Boy is on a distinguished road

I havent seen anything like this yet ... im almost to 20k and havent had any real problems yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L300Boy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L300Boy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-19-2001, 03:41 PM   #3
hugh
hugh will become famous soon enough

This sounds like major internal defect in oil cooler allowing oil and coolant to mix. Leaking of coolant onto engine block due to poor external sealant is not unheard of but is minor problem as there is no way oil and coolant can mix. It happened on my LS2. It was fixed in a couple of hours.

In view removal of engine,there is probably more than just flushing block and replacing oil cooler involved. If coolant has been getting into oil for any length of time it could mean serious damage to engine........good reason for checking oil dipstick frequently for brownish foam deposit.

It would be interesting if you could let us know what problem actually was.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hugh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hugh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-19-2001, 03:47 PM   #4
Tony
Tony is on a distinguished road

I have better than 18,500 on my V6 and have not had a problem like this. I have not heard of one till now either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tony's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tony reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-19-2001, 06:49 PM   #5
NEWLW300OWNR
NEWLW300OWNR is on a distinguished road

Default give them an email

I do know the car in question is a silver L300. The dealer can be reached at their website, www.saturnofpleasanton.com. Maybe if you email their service department they will divulge exactly what they found to be the problem with this particular car. Other than checking our dipsticks, I don't know any other way of watching out for this!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NEWLW300OWNR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NEWLW300OWNR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-19-2001, 07:52 PM   #6
SATURNFAN13185-2
SATURNFAN13185-2 is on a distinguished road

Default About checking oil......

Someone mentioned that you need to check your oil for foamy substance---while an excellent idea, and I do it with my car (a '97 Dodge), on a new car I don't think that's something you should have to do. You shouldn't have to worry about problems like that on a new car...

SATURNFAN13185

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SATURNFAN13185-2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SATURNFAN13185-2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-19-2001, 11:21 PM   #7
hugh
hugh will become famous soon enough

Saturnfan;

I agree,but sad to say, things like that can happen at any time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hugh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hugh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-20-2001, 06:36 AM   #8
BillS
BillS is on a distinguished road

I've never seen it or heard of it in the L series. If it was a common problem, it would be all over this site.
It happed to my 84 BroncoII once. Don't get me started on THAT one. My first and last SUV if you can call it that.
Bill

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BillS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BillS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-13-2004, 01:44 PM   #9
tazunemono
tazunemono is on a distinguished road

Default Re: If this is common Saturn has a HUGE problem

Please see my post at

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...369#post518369

let me know if it's related

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tazunemono's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tazunemono reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-13-2004, 05:30 PM   #10
94sc293sl1
Advanced Member
94sc293sl1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazunemono
Please see my post at

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...369#post518369

let me know if it's related
Wow, talk about bringing up threads from the dead. This thread is more than three years old!

Craig
Saturn owner no longer as of 12/21/05, sold my SC2.
www.insidetrackmagazine.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 94sc293sl1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 94sc293sl1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-13-2004, 06:00 PM   #11
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

This is an Isolated incident for sure. There are to many Ls out there for the general public to not have heard about this happening to others.This was most likely a faulty part which happened in assembling.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread