SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2005, 12:48 PM   #1
Chukaikbi
Chukaikbi is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
Dizzy 2000 SL2 DOHC heats up

I just bought a 2000 SL 2 and it seems to overheat within a short time. No visable signs of leaks. Drove it about 4 miles home when I bought it and the temp hand was just past mid point and when I got out it smelled like it had overheated. The temp gauge hand will go to the mid mark within two to three minutes when idleing at first startup. Don't want to drive it till I get the problem solved. Thought I'd replace the thermostat and see if it solves the problem. Any one got any suggestions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chukaikbi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chukaikbi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chukaikbi is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2005, 12:57 PM   #2
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2
Default Re: 2000 SL2 DOHC heats up

Replace the ECTS (Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor). Instructions in the How-To Library. It's easy to replace and it's more likely to be the problem than the thermostat.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 09:10 AM   #3
Chukaikbi

2000 SL2
Happy Re: 2000 SL2 DOHC heats up

Thanks Barnowl!!!! I'll be replacing that sensor this weekend and hopefully do some "cool" cruising too!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Chukaikbi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-03-2005, 09:45 AM   #4
SaturnTech
SaturnTech is on a distinguished road

Halfway is not overheating, in the RED is overheating. If halfway was overheating, the RED marks would be there. Replace the ECTS and you should be good to go. Make sure you get the part from a Saturn Dealership and not aftermarket. Be sure it has a brass tip.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnTech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnTech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:04 AM   #5
dansl2
Advanced Member
dansl2 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Sounds like what you are smelling is whatever the last owner used to clean the engine. Or did you add any aftermarket parts (air intake, even new wires) sometimes they can give off a "hot" smell for a while. Just to be on the safe side, do a visual inspection of wires & hoses around the top of the engine, just to be sure something didn't fall on the block/manifold & is starting to melt.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dansl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dansl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dansl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:42 PM   #6
Chukaikbi

2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnTech
Halfway is not overheating, in the RED is overheating. If halfway was overheating, the RED marks would be there. Replace the ECTS and you should be good to go. Make sure you get the part from a Saturn Dealership and not aftermarket. Be sure it has a brass tip.

Thanks for the feedback SaturnTech! I was refering to overheating by the odor. I didn't want to trust a gauge on a car I hadn't driven but about 4 miles. The ECTS goes on this weekend! Thanks again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-04-2005, 03:49 PM   #7
Chukaikbi

2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansl2
Sounds like what you are smelling is whatever the last owner used to clean the engine. Or did you add any aftermarket parts (air intake, even new wires) sometimes they can give off a "hot" smell for a while. Just to be on the safe side, do a visual inspection of wires & hoses around the top of the engine, just to be sure something didn't fall on the block/manifold & is starting to melt.

Thanks for the suggestions dansl2. The engine is pretty clean even though I bought it from an individual.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!